Departments letting aircraft go?

-Local department of 40-50 deputy's has had two OH-58s and pilots for last 10-15 years.

-one deputized pilot just retired and the other civilian (retired cop turned contractor)just retired

-they are hiring four deputies and I'm in the running

-heard a tale that the Sheriff is thinking about not restocking pilots.....

Is that common? It seems like a huge step back to me. The city has 4ish helos and pilots, and the trooper detachment isn't "too" far away, and I know it's expensive.... But is that common to stop programs? They have k9s, tac team, cool trucks, and divers. Seems like they need helicopters to me!

If I make it thought the process, I'll take the regular deputy position in hopes of them utilizing me later. I don't really expect them to give me a "yes" or even a time frame for a "maybe pilot spot" while I'm not even through the academy yet.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

I'm new to this game, but a 50 man department with two helos and pilots? That's a pretty big investment for a small organization, even with surplus aircraft. Surplus aircraft are especially tricky in regards to maintenance--they're cheap to get initially, but come time for new engines or blades....

I had this exact same discussion here not long ago.... Would this agency be in AL by any chance? Did you apply to be a Deputy and then find out about the need for pilots, or are you doing this process hoping they will offer you a pilot spot?

As far as 58s.... free parts of any real value are just about all gone. Unless the agency has a budget to buy parts, it will be interesting for sure on future. The one factor I see with your plan is that you are being hired as a Deputy. The others were hired as pilots weren't they? You said "Deputized Pilot". Was he a pilot they trained to be a deputy, or was he a deputy first? I mention that because if they tap you to be a pilot later, it could involve you giving up your LE position if they choose to use civilian pilots.

Edited by Flying Pig

Agencies with surplus aircraft often just fade away. They got them for nothing (contrary to urban legend, agencies do not buy them for a dollar nor can they ever sell them). If that agency was smart enough to be able to get loads of parts they can prolong the end. Smarter agencies look long term and figure out they need to actually develop a budget to keep it going. Those agencies that don't understand aviation often get to the end of an engine, time out blades, etc and then get hit with a $200,000 over haul bill and at that point decide they don't need the helicopter. Almost always, it's the agency management who kept pushing off the elephant in the room in favor of new patrol cars, new radios, etc. those agencies that are successful have the budgets to maintain their 58s to standard and, by 2016, understand that in the next few short years, they will need to shelve the 58s and punch out of the surplus aircraft. It really gets to the point that you are paying as much, if not more to maintain a 1971 OH58 than it would be to buy a newer used 500E or B206. When you send off a part for overhaul that was made in 1969....... You need to start talking to your bosses.

In the end. If an agency is just starting an air unit in 2016 with an OH58.... You better be telling your boss that you need to be preparing for the end on opening day.

Sounds like you may be talking about the Ozark, AL area... just guessing.

But it won't go away (obviously nothing is ever guaranteed). It receives a lot of DHS funding because they service more than just that county, it reaches about 14-15 counties and even the coast.