Nov 2015 Board

I've sent my packet to a CW3 and a CW4 that wrote my letters. They both have said it's well written but I feel it's too long, my buddy just got selected and mine is almost twice as long as his. Wondering if I should slash it some more or just roll with it. Got about five six sentence paragraphs. What do you think Lindsey? I'm trying to get it 100% perfect before I send it to the CW5. Also I've read your posts about LORs I have a CW3 who was my MTP for five years in a line company, a CW4 who was my company IP for like half a year, and have an interview with our brigade CW5 in the works. Is that to many letters? I picked the w3/4 because I have longevity with them and feel their opinion would be a good judge of character, and the w5 because everyone tells me to get him.

That depends on the strength of your CW5 letter. If it is written like you walk on clouds and unicorns and rainbows surround you with each step then you'll definitely want to include it. If it sounds like your typical "I got guilted into writing this and I 'recommend' the following candidate, kindly thank him, dump it, and include the more personal, stronger letters. If you'd like to send me your stuff feel free. I still need to get back to the last poster about his resume but I'll have a look at yours after his.

Which part of your packet is five six-sentence paragraphs? Essay?

That depends on the strength of your CW5 letter. If it is written like you walk on clouds and unicorns and rainbows surround you with each step then you'll definitely want to include it. If it sounds like your typical "I got guilted into writing this and I 'recommend' the following candidate, kindly thank him, dump it, and include the more personal, stronger letters. If you'd like to send me your stuff feel free. I still need to get back to the last poster about his resume but I'll have a look at yours after his.

Which part of your packet is five six-sentence paragraphs? Essay?

Dang that was a fast reply I pmd you the same question since I wasn't sure it notified of quotes lol. Guess you could disregard that. The five six-sentence paragraphs is the summary page on the AD form.

GT: 129

SIFT: 52

APFT: 282

Civilian Education: 19 credit hours Aeronautical Science 4.0 GPA

Military Education: ARC, ALC, WLC, Master gunner, small arms repair, CLS, AIT honor grad

Flight Physical: Stamped no waivers

Flight Experience: Couple hundred hours as a non rated crew member

LORs: CW4, CW5, O5 BN CDR, and O4 CO CDR

Military Experience: 9 years TIS E-6, OIF and OEF deployments, 8 years in Aviation Maintenance. Currently on Recruiting duty.

Awards: 5 ARCOMs, 2 AAMs, etc.

Second time around, good luck to everyone competing in November.

GT: 117

SIFT: 55

APFT: 286

Civilian Education: BS in Mathematics

Military Education: Precision Fires Course(TMO, Weaponeering, and CDE) and Joint Fire Observer

Flight Physical: 1A

Flight Experience: N/A

LORs: N/A

Military Experience: 4 years enlisted USMC OEF 2008 and Marine Expeditionary Deployment (Med Float) 2006 as a 3531(motor vehicle operator). 2 Years US Army 19 months Officer as a 13A(field artillery officer). Currently in Camp Hovey South Korea with 2ABCT 1CD.

Packet isn't complete. Just wanted to post something. Been lurking here for years now. Shooting for the March Board.

SIFT: 55

APFT: 286

Civilian Education: BS in Mathematics

Military Education: Precision Fires Course(TMO, Weaponeering, and CDE) and Joint Fire Observer

Flight Physical: 1A

LORs: N/A

Military Experience: 4 years enlisted USMC OEF 2008 and Marine Expeditionary Deployment (Med Float) 2006 as a 3531(motor vehicle operator). 2 Years US Army 19 months Officer as a 13A(field artillery officer). Currently in Camp Hovey South Korea with 2ABCT 1CD.

Packet isn't complete. Just wanted to post something. Been lurking here for years now. Shooting for the March Board.

Are you applying as an AD commissioned officer?

SIFT: 70

APFT: 289

Civilian Education: 69 SH towards BS in Cyber Security

Military Education: ALC, Combatives Master Trainer, Airborne, CLS

Flight Physical: 1W

LORs: O-3 CO CDR, O-4 BN CDR, CW5, O-4 SF personal acquaintance.

Military Experience: 8 years enlisted SSG in satellite communications. No deployments.

Waivers: none

Good luck everyone!

Are you applying as an AD commissioned officer?

Yes. I'll be resigning my commission and be a warrant.

Uh yeah, why are you not re-branching?

From what I understand warrants fly more frequently than commissioned. I want the opportunity to fly as much as possible. And the O life is not for everybody.

Thats awesome there are a couple of us that reverted from the commissioned side. You are making the right choice. I plan on starting a thread on here specific to that to help answer questions. But feel free to PM me whenever with specific questions.

• Like 3

Thats awesome there are a couple of us that reverted from the commissioned side. You are making the right choice. I plan on starting a thread on here specific to that to help answer questions. But feel free to PM me whenever with specific questions.

This would help out a lot. I've ran into a couple of guys in the AD side who's interested, but they are unaware of the amount of dedication needed to go through with the process. I feel overwhelmed with all the paperwork, but what drives me are the stories I see in this forum. The amount of obstacles you guys/gals have gone through to get your packed completed motivates me to do the same.

JP, depending on your rank you could rebranch and then drop directly to CW2 I think. I don't know much about it though

I just picked up 1LT last month so the branch transfer option would probably not go in my favor. I understand the pay cut from O-2e with over 8yrs (IRR was counted for pay when I came back on active duty...I was surprise too) to W-1 is significant, but the wife has already given me the green light (I want to do something that I've always dreamt of doing). So I'd rather drop the warrant packet now and just focus on being a great pilot.

JP the new thread is up now. The paperwork is overwhelming no doubt, but you can do it. If you have been a commissioned guy for 2 years by the time you revert to warrant you will pin on WO1 for literally 1 day, and your promotion orders to CW2 will be dated for the following day. So you will be getting paid (not that it should matter) almost the same as O2 (not O2E) pay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updates submitted this week (APFT up 25 points, college GPA updated). It's out of my hands now but I still cannot stop myself from taking a look at the USAREC website pretty frequently.

I feel your pain....I check the site as soon as I get to work and several times throughout the day. It's going to be pure torture the week of the board.

• Like 1

Why are you going Warrant from commissioned? More flight time, less bureaucracy?

• Like 1

Why are you going Warrant from commissioned? More flight time, less bureaucracy?

Exactly. I'd like to focus on flying vs officer business. My year group is 4 yrs = O-3, I'm currently on 19 mo so after flight school I'll be close to CPT without any flight time or experience in the aviation world.

I'm new here guys so I hope you don't mind me putting in my scores and info and also asking a question.

GT: 136 AFQT: 96

SIFT:54

APFT: not taken yet (estimate 250+)

Civilian Education: Graduted Universal Techncian Institute with degree in Automotive eningeering. Also have 40 hours towards general studies degree

Flight Physical: N/A - scheduled for 11/4/2015 at Ft. Hood

Flight Experience: 3 introductory hours rotorcraft

LORs: O2 JAG Lawyer (more a personal reference that I have known for many years) O3 CMDR of Flight Company - UH-60 Pilot, O5 UH-60 Pilot, former Army lead investigator for aircraft accidents and current IG lead of investigations at Ft. Hood

Military Experience: N/A

Civilian Experience: Automotive technician and service manager for luxury car dealerships

My main questions is this. How long does it typically take to get flight physical stamped after completing it? My flight physical is scheduled for this Wednesday 11/4/2015 and I'm trying to get final packet together by 11/20/2015 for the packet deadline to January Board. Does this sound like it is remotely possible? The flight physical is the last thing I need and I will do the APFT around 11/10/2015.

GT: 126
SIFT: 61
APFT: 279
Civilian Education: Bachelor's Degree in International Business with Minor in German (graduation in May 2016) and GPA of 3.8
Flight Experience: none
LOR's: Dean of Students, former boss, and professors
Military Experience: none
Civilian Experience: none
Waiver: None

I feel that I am a pretty strong candidate even though I am on the civilian side, but from every one else's opinions how competitive am I? Is having LOR's from service members or government officials crucial?

GT: 126

SIFT: 61

APFT: 279

Civilian Education: Bachelor's Degree in International Business with Minor in German (graduation in May 2016)

Flight Experience: none

LOR's: Dean of Students, former boss, and professors

Military Experience: none

Civilian Experience: none

Waiver: None

I feel that I am a pretty strong candidate even though I am on the civilian side, but from every one else's opinions how competitive am I? Does not having LOR's from service members or government officials crucial?

We'll have virtually identical packets, so I'm hoping you get picked up! haha