Commissioned Army Officer to Aviation Warrant Officer

Hey everyone,

So I just started looking at this process and wanted an opinion on what would look better for my packet to get selected.

Currently an 11A O2, finishing up my PL time this summer/early fall. I've been to Ranger, Airborne, Pathfinder and will most likely get Jumpmaster this spring. I've got a B.S in Computer Science and a M.S in Information Security & Assurance as well. If I'm looking to apply to the WO board would it be better to wait and apply for the Jan 2020 board after I would have 2 or possibly 3 OER's? or If my OER is very good with ACOM and Enumerated, along with my AER from IBOLC which is also very good, do you think that would be enough to help for a good packet? considering everything else is in order and my LORs are strong as well.

Thanks for the help everyone!

In_to_av14-

I would recommend applying sooner than later if you can. Several reasons to consider.

Your chain of command wont always support your transition out of the infantry. You will likely end up doing some staff time as you process your packet because otherwise you may be taking up a KD slot for someone who does not intend to be released from Infantry branch. You applying and not getting picked up as a 1LT has a lot less residual of an effect on your career than as a CPT.

From what Ive gathered, several people who have applied have been denied due to AFCS and age. Makes me think they (aviation branch) are looking for younger Soldiers with more longevity to contribute to the branch.

You already seem to have a pretty strong background. Do well on the SIFT, get some good LORs, and take every opportunity you can to work with aviation as an Infantryman. It was one of my selling points in my packet that I believe helped me get selected.

I can see the argument in waiting to apply. Keep in mind if you submit a packet and you dont get selected, it will also get looked at the following January, giving you more time to build it up.

I was selected this past board. If you want any assistance, let me know.

-Joe

Hey everyone,

So I just started looking at this process and wanted an opinion on what would look better for my packet to get selected.

Currently an 11A O2, finishing up my PL time this summer/early fall. I've been to Ranger, Airborne, Pathfinder and will most likely get Jumpmaster this spring. I've got a B.S in Computer Science and a M.S in Information Security & Assurance as well. If I'm looking to apply to the WO board would it be better to wait and apply for the Jan 2020 board after I would have 2 or possibly 3 OER's? or If my OER is very good with ACOM and Enumerated, along with my AER from IBOLC which is also very good, do you think that would be enough to help for a good packet? considering everything else is in order and my LORs are strong as well.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Don't wait to apply.

OERs are something the board might look at but there is a plethora of other information contained in the packet that they look at and probably consider more (don't quote me, I have no clue, making an educated guess). Waiting to apply to try and get stronger OERs--as mentioned--could be detrimental to your timeline. AngryJoe hit all the right points though.

I'm a AD O3 (25A) who was recently selected in the Jan(Feb) board so if you need anything during the application process please let me know. I absolutely agree however that if its something you're really looking to do, apply sooner rather than later. Age and longevity could be a factor. Trying to explained why you waited "if you really wanted it" could be a factor. You can always re-apply if not selected but waiting a year+ to try and build a stronger packet could hurt you in the long run if not selected multiple times. I think as a CO you get two or three looks?...someone else would need to clarify though.

If its something you really want to do, and have the ability to do, then do it. It's an entire lifestyle change from CO to WO so don't make the decision on a whim.

-Dave

AngryJoe & dawx26582 -

Thank you for the advice. I didn't want to wait at all but was told by a friend who recently did the CO -> WO transition that building better OERs might help. I will be applying next January and have started getting all the documents prepped. My biggest issue now is time frame. We are completing our ITC this spring so I won't have any real downtime until May.

Right now I'm planning on getting my Physical done the beginning of May, as well as taking the SIFT in May. As for the letters of Rec, how far out should I approach my CoC about this transition? I will still be in my PL position into the early Fall meaning I will probably need the LoR's prior to me moving out of my PL position. I just don't want to approach them too early and have them think I don't want to do my job. I absolutely love being a PL but it's everything after this Job that is not what I want and one of the many reasons why I have decided on this route.

AngryJoe & dawx26582 -

Thank you for the advice. I didn't want to wait at all but was told by a friend who recently did the CO -> WO transition that building better OERs might help. I will be applying next January and have started getting all the documents prepped. My biggest issue now is time frame. We are completing our ITC this spring so I won't have any real downtime until May.

Right now I'm planning on getting my Physical done the beginning of May, as well as taking the SIFT in May. As for the letters of Rec, how far out should I approach my CoC about this transition? I will still be in my PL position into the early Fall meaning I will probably need the LoR's prior to me moving out of my PL position. I just don't want to approach them too early and have them think I don't want to do my job. I absolutely love being a PL but it's everything after this Job that is not what I want and one of the many reasons why I have decided on this route.

Medical I would definitely start as soon as possible just in case you need a waiver for whatever reason. It can take quite a bit of time to follow through everything medical related.

Building good OERs might help, but honestly better to apply with what you got as long as you have a good SIFT, summary, and LORs...and no deficiencies on any of your other paperwork. I have a friend that was a qualified non-select (CO) for this board due to deficiencies within his ORB and admin data.

Study for the SIFT, and take your time getting to the test. No need to rush it since you have time. Just make sure to adhere to any board timelines/deadlines. Check how long it would take to schedule your test at your local testing center and backwards plan off that.

Best advice I can give is to come up on the net early with your CoC. I wouldn't try and war game it because surprises could lead to some burned bridges. Just be open and candid with them. Let them know that while you'll still fulfil your duties as a PL (and wherever else they slot you), you would like to submit a packet to the board. Hopefully you have some good leadership that will reciprocate your candidness.

Biggest thing is that its not a 100% guarantee you'll be picked up. I definitely had some experience with this, and while I have a very supportive CoC, my last OER was tailored in a way that wouldn't have hurt me, but wouldn't have been the most beneficial as well. Kind of "taking one for the team" since they assumed I would be picked up. Now that I've been selected its all good. Had I not been selected, wouldn't have killed me but...you get the point. Something I just had to deal with. You just have to expect this going into the process.

If you know its not the job for you now, it more than likely won't be the job for you later. Based on this thought, what the BN does with you now could not really matter in the near future, but the safe bet is to do whatever you can to be a part of the team and still show you're invested in the team as you're working through the selection process. Still take on extra duties and odd jobs and work your ass off until selected.

Hopefully this helps.

-Dave

Couldnt have said it better than Dave. Come up on the net early. I was a pre-command AS3 and brought it up months before taking command. Was already selected for an HHC command after. My BC supported it and I still did a command. I was lucky, my previous BC and BDE CDR would have not supported it. Not a good place to be in knowing I would need an LOR from my BC for my packet. Again, Dave hit it on the head.

Thank you all for the comments and help. I've decided I'll be applying this January. I've gone ahead and typed up the memo's for resignation of rank as well as a conditional branch release but how far out did you send that up to HRC? And do I call my branch manager and let him know my intentions and send him the memo's once he's aware?

I'm just not sure how to go about getting the resignation and branch release memo signed.

Thank you all for the comments and help. I've decided I'll be applying this January. I've gone ahead and typed up the memo's for resignation of rank as well as a conditional branch release but how far out did you send that up to HRC? And do I call my branch manager and let him know my intentions and send him the memo's once he's aware?

I'm just not sure how to go about getting the resignation and branch release memo signed.

Just make contact with your branch manager. I shot a memo to mine in an email but they replied back with a 4187, which after getting filled out and sent in, came back signed by the branch chief a couple days later. I'm sure the process will be slightly different depending on the branch.

-Dave

There was no need for a 4187 when I sent mine. You type up and send a conditional resignation memo, signed by you, as well as a draft form of the conditional release for the branch chief to sign. Took me forever to get mine signed; they are fairly busy there at HRC.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've submitted the memo to Branch and am working on getting LOR's currently.

For your Summary in the resume, how did you bridge the gap between being a Commissioned Officer and transitioning to becoming a Warrant? I'm trying not to restate too much of what is in my resume / ORB already but I want to make a point that my experience has shaped me and made me want to become a Warrant Officer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys, I've submitted the memo to Branch and am working on getting LOR's currently.

For your Summary in the resume, how did you bridge the gap between being a Commissioned Officer and transitioning to becoming a Warrant? I'm trying not to restate too much of what is in my resume / ORB already but I want to make a point that my experience has shaped me and made me want to become a Warrant Officer.

Talk about why you want to be an Aviator and also translate how your time as a RLO translates to being a Warrant. e.g. - Tactical and technical proficiency, mentoring (subordinates, peers, superiors), etc. Remember, youre trying to sell yourself to the board and give them a reason to pick me. Keep it to 2-3 paragraphs max. Youre not writing a dossier.

Thanks, I was on that track but wanted to make sure I was going the right direction.

When getting LOR's from my CO and BC, I'm pretty sure they will have me draft a template for them to go off of since that is how they have had other people do LOR's for other packets recently.

If I'm supposed to generate one for them to go off of, is there a specific format or type of language that would be better suited for it? I just want to make sure the LOR's fit what the Board is looking for and gives the best snapshot of who I am.

Thanks, I was on that track but wanted to make sure I was going the right direction.

When getting LOR's from my CO and BC, I'm pretty sure they will have me draft a template for them to go off of since that is how they have had other people do LOR's for other packets recently.

If I'm supposed to generate one for them to go off of, is there a specific format or type of language that would be better suited for it? I just want to make sure the LOR's fit what the Board is looking for and gives the best snapshot of who I am.

Check the USAREC site. There is a template/format the LORs have to be in.

• 2 weeks later...

Actual regs, Ill ask around. But, as far as Im tracking high 3 is high 3 in terms of retirement. You would retire at whatever warrant rank you are at the time, but your retirement pay would be whatever your high 3 years of pay is (would probably be O4).

Got a question about UQR's now. I know that the minimum time to submit a UQR for acceptance is 6 months and max 12 months out but that is for people trying to leave active duty normally. Does anyone know how it specifically works for those trying to convert to WO?

i.e. If I get accepted in January, submit my UQR, can it be accepted 6-8 weeks later and have Orders as soon as possible or will there be a minimum 6 month wait from the time I submit it to get orders?

I only ask because It affects the positions and timeline at my current unit based on what will most likely happen.

Got a question about UQR's now. I know that the minimum time to submit a UQR for acceptance is 6 months and max 12 months out but that is for people trying to leave active duty normally. Does anyone know how it specifically works for those trying to convert to WO?

i.e. If I get accepted in January, submit my UQR, can it be accepted 6-8 weeks later and have Orders as soon as possible or will there be a minimum 6 month wait from the time I submit it to get orders?

I only ask because It affects the positions and timeline at my current unit based on what will most likely happen.

I'm currently processing my UQR. Get ready for a bunch of blank stares as you try to explain the process to EVERYONE that you will submit your packet through. For my UQR, it was 5 days late. I wrote a memo and self-signed as to why my UQR was late. Nothing within my control. I'll save the sob story for another time.

Once your UQR gets approved through MPD, HRC will send an RFO and cut orders. I don't think they follow any specific timeline except ASAP.

I'm going to send you the guidance worksheet that I received from HRC when I got selected. It explains a lot and will help.

-Joe

As far as Im tracking, the UQR has nothing to do with the date when you will show up to rucker. There were several of us on the same board, submitted our UQRs around the same time, yet we all showed up over a span of around 4 months. I believe I got my class date before I submitted my UQR. So, you should know your timeline before you submit that UQR. Definitely look at that guidance worksheet from Joe. A buddy of mine and myself redid that and sent it back to HRC back in 2015. Hopefully they are still using the one we edited. Super helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CPT Selected in the late JAN 2018 board. I am having trouble finding a template for the UQR and as you said I get alot of stares whenever I try to process. Does anyone have an example of the verbage the are looking for?

Secondly, I am O-3 and MCCC complete. Everyone is telling me I should revert as a CW2. Is there any document i could reference for this? When I submit the DA Form 4187 for my WOCS equivalent credit do I put as a CW2?

Any kind of help would be great! I am scheduled in ATRRS to report for WOBC 13 JAN 19 so I know I need to get these documents processed ASAP.

CPT Selected in the late JAN 2018 board. I am having trouble finding a template for the UQR and as you said I get alot of stares whenever I try to process. Does anyone have an example of the verbage the are looking for?

Secondly, I am O-3 and MCCC complete. Everyone is telling me I should revert as a CW2. Is there any document i could reference for this? When I submit the DA Form 4187 for my WOCS equivalent credit do I put as a CW2?

Any kind of help would be great! I am scheduled in ATRRS to report for WOBC 13 JAN 19 so I know I need to get these documents processed ASAP.

Dude, I got you. Send me your email in a DM and I will forward you my packet, as well as some info on the CW2 process.

BLUF:

- Your UQR gets looked at funny because there are some differences between a standard UQR and the UQR you are about to do. A UQR is a memo, and several of the bullets pertain to material that will not apply to you.

- You will revert to WO1, and as soon as you report to Rucker, you will inprocess and be automatically promoted to CW2. I have the guidance sheet sent from HRC that explains that process. Based on time in grade/ time in service (I can't remember which one) you are automatically promoted to CW2. I do not know if you get back pay for being a CW2, one of my RFIs.

-Joe

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, Been working on my packet and everything is going pretty well. The only issue is my BC just changed command and my old BC (who supported this) is still going to write a LOR but won't sign it as the Commander. This means my new BC will need to write one as well for the upcoming January Board. He's a little iffy on it but I'm sure he will still write one. My question is do you think I should have my previous BC's LOR in my packet as well?

One other question, one reason he is on the fence is that he thinks I will be leaving as soon as I get selected even though I know that is not the case. Do you all have an idea of when course dates would be for WOBC and reporting to Fort Rucker? I've heard that it could be August-September from this past year's board? I just want to be able to give him a better time estimate of when I could possibly be leaving. Thanks for the help guys!

I have been lurking on this forum for awhile (it was recommended to me by a Commissioned Officer to WOFT applicant). All the information has been much appreciated.

My brief introduction is as follows:

Who: CPT (Active Duty)

What: Branch (Army)

When: 2012-Present

Where: FHTX (1CD PL/CO XO), 75th RGR RGT (PL/CO XO) , Current CCC Student with a follow-on SOF assignment. Experience in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Why: I am looking to transfer to the Warrant Officer Corps as a 153A following a long period of soul searching. I love the military but I have reached my limit of advance as an Officer and I am looking to follow my long time passion of aviation.

I am hoping to apply for the JAN 2019 Board, pending support from my CoC. In the meantime, I am looking to hone my professionalism and aviation knowledge while simultaneously upholding my duties as an RLO.

Thank you to those who have posted information on this topic. Any one on one advice would be much appreciated.

RLTW!

• 2 weeks later...

- You will revert to WO1, and as soon as you report to Rucker, you will inprocess and be automatically promoted to CW2. I have the guidance sheet sent from HRC that explains that process. Based on time in grade/ time in service (I can't remember which one) you are automatically promoted to CW2. I do not know if you get back pay for being a CW2, one of my RFIs.

-Joe

Joe,

Would it be possible to get a copy of that HRC guidance as well please. I am STILL waiting on my reversion orders from HRC. 4187 for constructive credit was approved in April. I am headed in as a reserve warrant and the information I have been getting was WO1 upon orders from HRC then promotion to WO2 upon graduation from flight school.

There is a prior officer in my current unit who has been out of Rucker for 9 months and is still a WO1 because apparently the schoolhouse failed to iPERM his 1059/Certificate and he left the schoolhouse without it as well. Now he is being told he should receive back pay and the WO2 should be backdated to his graduation date.

I would LOVE to see some actual guidance on actual paper from the actual people at HRC as opposed to the word of many different disparate people. Thanks!