Commissioned Army Officer to Aviation Warrant Officer

Should I include my time as an enlisted soldier when completing my resume? I was an NCO then attended the Green to Gold program and became an RLO. I haven't had a break in services from my initial entry date, so I'm assuming I would include my time enlisted. Has anyone else been in the same situation or know of someone that has?

What are the biggest reasons why one would want to transition from a commissioned officer to a warrant officer assuming they are already a rotary wing pilot as a commissioned officer? Thank you!

Usually it's because they want flying to remain their primary job. A RLO is by definition an Aviation Officer, meaning flying is not their only job and as they progress flying becomes their secondary job. Flying is only a small part of an Aviation Officer's job, they will start as a PL, move to staff then troop command and then staff and then....who knows while they wait for another command.

Unlike the other branches where the RLO's are the pilots and their main job for most of their careers is flying. When I was in the Coast Guard I shared the Helicopter with a Lt. Commander, you didn't start command until you were a Commander. That's where the army is different, my son's both had a lot more responsibility early on then I did, we just flew in constant crappy weather.

I always grinned a bit when I listened to cadets visualize life as an Aviation Officer, it was often all Maverick and Goose. Luckily both my son's PMS were Aviation Officers and were able to convey reality before they selected Aviation.

• Like 1

Usually it's because they want flying to remain their primary job. A RLO is by definition an Aviation Officer, meaning flying is not their only job and as they progress flying becomes their secondary job. Flying is only a small part of an Aviation Officer's job, they will start as a PL, move to staff then troop command and then staff and then....who knows while they wait for another command.

Unlike the other branches where the RLO's are the pilots and their main job for most of their careers is flying. When I was in the Coast Guard I shared the Helicopter with a Lt. Commander, you didn't start command until you were a Commander. That's where the army is different, my son's both had a lot more responsibility early on then I did, we just flew in constant crappy weather.

I always grinned a bit when I listened to cadets visualize life as an Aviation Officer, it was often all Maverick and Goose. Luckily both my son's PMS were Aviation Officers and were able to convey reality before they selected Aviation.

thanks very much, a lot of what I assumed but also a lot of great insight. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Since USAREC has changed the parameters for non-Aviation Commissioned Officers reverting to 153A Flight Warrant, I figure I bring this back up to the top for those fortunate enough to get picked up or waiting for the next board to continue providing guidance and advice since that's what we do as Officers (WO or CO). Here is the exact quote/reference:

• 7 DEC 16 ****Attention all (Non-Aviator) Commissioned ARMY Officer Applicants for 153A (Rotorwing Aviator)*****

Effective immediately, the board procedures for (non-aviation branch) Army commission officers applying for 153A (Rotorwing Aviator) have changed. All Army commissioned officers (non-aviator) that desire to be boarded for 153A will be boarded in March 2017. Subsequent boards will be held once per FY in January.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

As always, a few of us still lurk and are still around to assist in anyway possible.

Definitely. I've been emailing a gentleman in the process now. So keep the questions coming!

What could I work on to be as cool as you one day? More PT?? Or is it all about the hairflow(should I grow it out more)?

What could I work on to be as cool as you one day? More PT?? Or is it all about the hairflow(should I grow it out more)?

I'm pretty sure the hairflow is actually the most important thing.

I'm pretty sure the hairflow is actually the most important thing.

The real question is - are you using the proper hair product to maintain said hair in order to prevent the onset of "helmet hair"?

The real question is - are you using the proper hair product to maintain said hair in order to prevent the onset of "helmet hair"?

No, I am one of the many affected by "helmet hair" daily. I've lost hope.

• Like 1

It is less PT and pretty much all hairflow. I do not suffer from helmet hair. It's always perfect. Once mastered, you will be as cool as I am.

• Like 1

Definitely seems to be some good content on this thread!

I am curious as to whether or not there is separate regulation (other than AR 611-110) with more details on AV COs reverting?

Or if anyone knows that it's solely working with HRC to get released.

Still working on a packet I just didn't want to be working on the wrong thing if the process is completely different since going back to Rucker for WOBC and flight school wouldn't have to happen (hopefully haha...).

any info would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

I can't speak from experience, but there were several AV COs on my board. I reached out to them at the time with questions regarding the REFRAD process. If I am remembering correctly, they were doing the same thing. The only difference was, they received an RFO to a new duty station, instead of to Rucker. The process should be the same. The only thing I could see being a little different is the conditional release since you aren't actually leaving the aviation branch. I would still assume you need one though, since the army tracks its warrants and COs differently. Again, this is not from experience as I came from the medical side.

• 1 month later...

Hey all 👋. Long-time lurker here; felt far enough into the application process to sign up.

I'm an FA O-3 planning on applying for the JAN FY18 board. My packet is nearly complete, waiting on the flight physical from Rucker (previous one is about to expire), a LOR, and branch conditional release memo.

Hit a snag today that someone pointed out, if anyone's had this experience. Verbatim, a prerequisite from the selection and training AR:

b. Have less than 48 months of active Federal commissioned service at the start of flight training.........

Any former post-ccc officers with more than 4 years as a CO? Wondering if anyone had to do a ETP waiver for this? Other than the AR there's nothing that specifies this on USAREC site.

Appreciate the feedback in advance, if any!

Hey all . Long-time lurker here; felt far enough into the application process to sign up.

I'm an FA O-3 planning on applying for the JAN FY18 board. My packet is nearly complete, waiting on the flight physical from Rucker (previous one is about to expire), a LOR, and branch conditional release memo.

Hit a snag today that someone pointed out, if anyone's had this experience. Verbatim, a prerequisite from the selection and training AR:

b. Have less than 48 months of active Federal commissioned service at the start of flight training.........

Any former post-ccc officers with more than 4 years as a CO? Wondering if anyone had to do a ETP waiver for this? Other than the AR there's nothing that specifies this on USAREC site.

Appreciate the feedback in advance, if any!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is in specific reference to those who try to branch transfer. I had roughly 54 months of AFCS before I reverted and a buddy of mine in my Primary class who was also a revert had more time than me. I've also run into post command guys who reverted - so short answer, no, you shouldn't need an ETP waiver. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all-

I've followed this thread for quite some time; going on about a year. I finally joined and thought I would share some lessons learned and maybe address some of the RFIs on this forum (as far as putting a packet together goes). A little background on me: currently a regular army commissioned Infantry Officer, in command, 7 years active federal commissioned service, and have a complete packet that I am organizing and sending off tomorrow for the JAN 18 board.

All documents are to be sent in "true PDF form", if you are unsure of what this means, print off the document, scan it to your email and boom, it is now in "true PDF format"

The AFS ETP (Geniee) is a requirement according to my recruiter and AR 611-110 (Chapter 2). This means you need to include the ETP memo in your packet and submit your packet 6 weeks early. I'm going for the JAN 18 board and am required to submit my packet mid October this year. Ask your area recruiter for an example and they may be able to provide you one.

The physical. I don't know if it's just our medical community up here or the corps in general but I would recommend getting after this as early as possible. They have no sense of urgency. Luckily I found a legit dude that was a PA and was flight surgeon qualified that knocked it out quickly.

For the LORs. Since I am currently in command, it was recommended that rather than a "company and BN commander write my LORs" that I get my 1st and 2nd line UCMJ authority (BN and BDE commander) LOR and write an MFR explaining that I am currently in command and would not have a Company Commander LOR. They have to be in the 3.3 format and be digitally signed with email and phone number in the memo.

I would recommend contacting your recruiter and if they have time, ask them to check your documents for correctness and completeness. There were several forms that I triple checked and he found certain items that should have been written another way from how I had written mine.

Better to go a step beyond and provide MFRs that explain the situation than to think you are meeting the requirement and find out you aren't meeting the standard at all IMO. If I was on a board selecting candidates, it would satisfy me more to see an explanation than to try and either thumb through ARs or try to figure out the "whys" on my own. Crucial when your packet has a fixed amount of time to be looked at.

If anyone is in a similar position and has any specific questions, feel free to ask. Looking forward to the January 2018 board.

-Angryjoe

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I've been lurking on here for a few weeks now and am putting into motion my intent to go flight warrant. Just 2 quick questions I wanted a little clarity on.

1: For LORs as far as aviators, I noticed it said at least 1 is required from a CW 3, 4 or 5 but more is recommended whether it be retired or currently serving. My question is does one of these other supporting LORs have to be from other active or retired CWs aviators as well or could one get them from commissioned aviators as well as commissioned aviators from other branch of service, i.e. a navy helio pilot?

2: I am also getting corrective eye surgery here in the next up coming month, is there a grace period I should wait after the eye surgery before I can pass a physical?

Thanks guys!

You can get letters from whomever you want. Are you active duty? If so, one letter must be a CW3 or higher aviator, one from your company commander and one from your battalion commander. Then you can get whatever other letters you want from any branch or rank you want. There is a down period after corrective surgery, I believe its 6 months. The actual answer is somewhere else on this forum.

You can get letters from whomever you want. Are you active duty? If so, one letter must be a CW3 or higher aviator, one from your company commander and one from your battalion commander. Then you can get whatever other letters you want from any branch or rank you want. There is a down period after corrective surgery, I believe its 6 months. The actual answer is somewhere else on this forum.

Grace period is 90 days post-op and then you can initiate your flight physical, UNLESS that's changed from when I had PRK.

I am active duty currently a 13A out of Fort Riley, thanks for the info! How many additional letters of recommendation would you recommend?

I mean, most of us here probably did the bare minimum. I got one from my CO and BN CDRs, and one from the CW5 down at 1st CAB on Riley - CW5 Baker.