Robinson R22 tail rotor pitch control

Hi,

I'm a french student studying for my thesis the variation of the pitch angle of the Robinson R22 tail rotor.

My question would be: What is the material used for Push/Pull tubes all along the pitch command ? And if you have an idea, what could be the weight of the global assy (from the spreader to the pitch lever)?

Thank you for your replies :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a french student studying for my thesis the variation of the pitch angle of the Robinson R22 tail rotor.

My question would be: What is the material used for Push/Pull tubes all along the pitch command ? And if you have an idea, what could be the weight of the global assy (from the spreader to the pitch lever)?

Thank you for your replies :)

The flight controls are conventional. Dual controls are standard equipment and all primary controls are actuated through aluminum alloy push-pull tubes and bellcranks. Bearings used throughout the control system are either sealed ball bearings or have self-lubricated Teflon liners.

An alloy is composed of two or more metals. The metal present in the alloy in the largest amount is called the base metal. All other metals added to the base metal are called alloying elements.

For example, pure aluminum is relatively soft and weak. However, adding small amounts or copper, manganese, and magnesium will increase aluminum's strength many times. Heat treatment can increase or decrease an alloy's strength and hardness. Alloys are important to the aircraft industry. They provide materials with properties that pure metals do not possess.

Aluminum alloys are widely used in modern aircraft construction. Aluminum alloys are valuable because they have a high strength-to-weight ratio. Aluminum alloys are corrosion resistant and comparatively easy to fabricate. The outstanding characteristic of aluminum is its lightweight.

The R22 beta tail rotor pitch range is +19.5 (left pedal) and -10.6 (right pedal).

REF: Helicopter Performance, Stability, and control / Appendix B / R.W. Prouty

We don’t have any exact documented weight for the tail rotor controls exclusively; however, there are preliminary design weight estimates based on equations using a mathematical process know as multiple linear regression. The closest to what you’re looking for is below, Wc.c weight of cockpit controls in a conventional system. That works out to about 40lbs. overall for the beta @ 1,370 G.W.

Wc.c. = 11.5 (G.W./1000).40 (Triple if no boost is used)

REF: Impact of Emerging Technology on the Weight of Future Rotorcraft Authors / R.A. Shinn, U.S. Army Aviation Systems Command

See Flight Controls at the links below:

Link to: R22 Maintenance Manual

Link to: R22 Illustrated Parts Catalog

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-07%20at%202.33.2

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1