Active Duty Army to AGR

Hey Everyone,

I was talking to a -47 driver about something I found peculiar and piqued my interest: AGR.

Yes, I understand AGR accessions insofar that drilling reservists can apply for what is essentially an active duty position but for the federal (USAR) or state (ARNG) mission. For TPU soldiers desiring full-time status, it makes sense. While AGR isn't mysterious by any means, what threw me for a loop was that the guy applied from active duty Army to go AGR for the USAR -- and successfully transferred over.

My question is why would someone do that?

I wish we got to talk later and pick his brain on the matter, but all I picked up on was that he somehow got a C-12 AQC out of the deal. My guess is that is part of the reason he made the jump -- how that even works, I have no idea. Regardless of an airframe transition, this isn't the first time I heard of this happening. When I showed up at my current duty station, there was a warrant who got picked up for an AGR position from active duty.

Every so often I hear "AGR is the best kept secret in the Army," but what's the appeal? I feel like if you're already active duty, you have more options/assignments available to you... what's the big deal?

-Z

Hey Everyone,

I was talking to a -47 driver about something I found peculiar and piqued my interest: AGR.

Yes, I understand AGR accessions insofar that drilling reservists can apply for what is essentially an active duty position but for the federal (USAR) or state (ARNG) mission. For TPU soldiers desiring full-time status, it makes sense. While AGR isn't mysterious by any means, what threw me for a loop was that the guy applied from active duty Army to go AGR for the USAR -- and successfully transferred over.

My question is why would someone do that?

I wish we got to talk later and pick his brain on the matter, but all I picked up on was that he somehow got a C-12 AQC out of the deal. My guess is that is part of the reason he made the jump -- how that even works, I have no idea. Regardless of an airframe transition, this isn't the first time I heard of this happening. When I showed up at my current duty station, there was a warrant who got picked up for an AGR position from active duty.

Every so often I hear "AGR is the best kept secret in the Army," but what's the appeal? I feel like if you're already active duty, you have more options/assignments available to you... what's the big deal?

-Z

This is from the Air Force side, but I know a guy that went AD to AGR simply so he didn't have to PCS. He got stationed at some base in Kansas or something that didn't have AD slots for our MOS, and he said he could stay there forever if he wanted to. I think that guard unit also gave him a free stripe (E5 to E6).

He is the only person I know that has done it, I'm sure other people have different reasons.

Most of the AGR I've seen available to me is temporary so that could be a turnoff for those of us with civilian employment. Quit your job to go AGRA then be jobless once you go back to MDAY. That'd be horrible for my family

Most of the AGR I've seen available to me is temporary so that could be a turnoff for those of us with civilian employment. Quit your job to go AGRA then be jobless once you go back to MDAY. That'd be horrible for my family

Is it really AGR, then, or is it ADOS/ADSW (Do they every call it ADSW anymore? How old am I?)?

Yeah it's listed as an AGR position but it's only 12 months commitment. Almost like a deployment to your own unit lol. It's mostly administrative positions and office stuff. All the pilot slots and maintenance slots are technician spots which are permenant.

Edited by Yamer

We have AGR pilots, facility commanders, training officers, supply guys whatever.

AGR is awesome when you get tired of being stationed somewhere stupid like Kansas every three years and now you have the option to do 6-18 years AD in your home state.

There is a probation period, but all our AGR spots are 3 years starting. 12 Month stuff is all ADSW/ADOS.

AR does it a little differently than the ARNG does. The state is allocated a certain # of vacancies and they can move them around as needed. Our C12 unit has 6? Pilots, but 2 are AGR because they have so many weekday missions. One Hawk unit has 1 AGR, 3 DA civilian pilots supporting 20 traditional guard pilots.. Plus all the maintenance guys that are DA civilians.

We have an Ops AGR at one unit and at another its a DAC.

It's weird.

Like mentioned above: you've got 12 years active and are tired of all the AD silliness and you have a connection back home and they need a full time C12 pilot. Easy life, fixed wing license, kids don't have to change schools all the time, and still get AD retirement.

I need an AGR position.....

Yeah. I'm guard anyway, so it's not as much of a stretch. I'd be moving up to a full time position, instead of a lateral move to a different type of full time.

There's a possibility of one for me in the future, as a C-26 (NOT C-27; some people have gotten that confused...) guy, but I'm not sold yet that I want it. (I kind of want to finish the whole school thing, first, you know?)

• Like 1