Another Newb

Turbolag

Hey dudes. This is my first post, and I did not see an intro section, so I thought I would start here.

I've been browsing through the forum and some of my questions I think have been answered, but I do have some additional ones if you guys wouldn't mind.

So about me: About 8 hours in a fixed wing puddle jumper.

0.9 hours in a Guimbal Cabri

Current weight: 255 <---- Weight is not an issue, I can lose it if I need to.

So, I'm in the process of getting off of Cymbalta. It is not allowed by the FAA, and I am disqualified right now. However, if I understand correctly (I joined the AOPA and got some info), after 6 months off of any medicine that disqualifies an applicant, they are eligible to apply for their medical.

So my question is, if I'm able to get off of the Cymbalta, and get my medical. Will my chances of getting a job be impacted because this medication will show up in my history?

I have some other questions, but am pressed for time and will check this when I get back.

Thank you.

• Like 3

Hey dudes. This is my first post, and I did not see an intro section, so I thought I would start here.

I've been browsing through the forum and some of my questions I think have been answered, but I do have some additional ones if you guys wouldn't mind.

So about me: About 8 hours in a fixed wing puddle jumper.

0.9 hours in a Guimbal Cabri

Current weight: 255 <---- Weight is not an issue, I can lose it if I need to.

So, I'm in the process of getting off of Cymbalta. It is not allowed by the FAA, and I am disqualified right now. However, if I understand correctly (I joined the AOPA and got some info), after 6 months off of any medicine that disqualifies an applicant, they are eligible to apply for their medical.

So my question is, if I'm able to get off of the Cymbalta, and get my medical. Will my chances of getting a job be impacted because this medication will show up in my history?

I have some other questions, but am pressed for time and will check this when I get back.

Thank you.

What medication you used in the past is irrelevant. I've never heard an employer ask about former medications. I'm not sure such a question would be legal, and I'm doubt there are any grounds for compelling you to provide an answer.

If you hold a medical certificate, that's generally all most employers need to know, or want to know.

• Like 3

Welcome.

To be honest we who hire do not know you obviously.

But my initial impression from the short blurb you wrote is that I would not hire you.

Maybe it was, “Hey dudes" = No Hire

'>https://youtu.be/6y53TACpfPY

Edited by iChris
  • Like 2

No.

Not trying to be rude.

Just honest.

You gave little info at all.

But your on medication and overweight.

Not a great start is all.

I could lie and sugar coat all my answers.

But assumed you would prefer honesty.

• Like 1

What medication you used in the past is irrelevant. I've never heard an employer ask about former medications. I'm not sure such a question would be legal, and I'm doubt there are any grounds for compelling you to provide an answer.

If you hold a medical certificate, that's generally all most employers need to know, or want to know.

And I agree if that may happen in the future.

But when he opened with that.....and its all we really have to go on at this point, then I would likely say no.

The thing about people even in an interview is they often share too much.

Its a standard thing for an interviewer to say to an applicant......so tell me about yourself? And away they go saying things they should not say.

Its not confession at your church.

So don't air your dirty laundry in an interview.

People have told me the most wild things.

Also either deleteor clean up your facebook if you have it.

Its pretty much a given they will look in this day and age.

Make sure it looks professional and doesn't come back to bite you in the ass.

My personal assistant looks at applicants fb for me.

Its cringe worthy what some put on face book.

One guy had on his that he was fired for stealing from petty cash at his former employment.....wtf

• Like 2

Actually, the "dudes" thing bugged me, too, but I figured I'd let it go. First post, and all.

It's okay to be young. Best not to advertise it. Roy Schneider made the comment in Blue Thunder "Hey kid, you're new. You're supposed to be stupid. Don't abuse it."

Surf's up.

• Like 2

Haha, because a forum post on vertical is the same as an interview. I get all dressed up, throw my tie on and reflect on my vocabulary before I ask a basic question about starting flight training.

Anywho, if you can get a first class medical you're golden. And do yourself a favor and start losing weight now, it will be an issue. Might as well get started on it.

Cheers and best of luck, bromigo.

• Like 2

broh, be careful what you reveal in an interview!

[video=you tube;SgLcR5bWrwc]

http://[video=you tube;SgLcR5bWrwc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgLcR5bWrwc Edited by r22butters

Once you get the medical, the only thing a potential employer may find to discriminate against you would be written in the limitation box on the medical. Otherwise, the potential employer wouldn’t know boo about your medical history, making you good to go….

Regarding your weight, at 255, it is a problem. While you say you can lose it, it would’ve been better to arrive here and tell us you lost 55 lbs and now weigh 200. That is, if you paroose around the forum enough, you’ll find plenty of folks talking about what they would like to do in order to achieve their pro-helo goal. Don’t be that dude. Be the dude that comes here and tells us how your lifestyle change helped you get off prescribed medication and also allowed you to lose 60 lbs and, how you’re ready to take on the endeavor, full-on…..

And, don't worry about the lingo comments. Just be real because thats what we need in this industry. People who are REAL.... Big-time.....

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2

Well that med is for the treatment of depression among other things- I can say for sure but I don't think getting issued a medical to fly is going to be the slam dunk that you think it will be if you are off that stuff for a while! The only people that can tell you what you have to do is the Regional Flight Surgeon, he would be the one to talk to about it! He would tell you what you have to do, and what documentation you will need to provide! A lot of things that use to be disqualifying are not any more- So before you sign up for any more lessons or a huge loan to pay for it, sort out the medical issue first! My guess due to your weight, you may also may have some issues with Blood Pressure and the On set of Diabetes. Oral Meds for that is ok with the FAA as long as you meet the guide lines and stay in good control with no side effects, they will issue you a medical on a continuance issue.

• Like 1

But in all seriousness, thank you all for your replies. I will work on getting my medical.

Thanks for the tip on the interview. I want to make sure I am blunt to an extent. I don't think I need to talk about my childhood and how fun discovery zone was.

Also, to address the weight issue. I'm actually this size on purpose. I'm a weightlifter and had to work to get to this size. But I can lose it easily. I've manipulated my weight for a while, so it's no biggie.

I am serious about considering aviation for a career. I have another career choice I'm going back and forth on. So I'm just trying to decide which path I want to take. Taking the other path that is non aviation is the much smarter road, but I love to fly so much that right now I just don't care about practicality.

• Like 1

My advice...figure out what you need to do to stay healthy, physically and mentally. In the job of a pilot, it's all about keeping your medical as you get older. You have to stay in good shape. Anyone can succeed, even at 265 pounds. You will be limited for sure, in what aircraft you can fly, in job opportunities, etc, but all of those things can be overcome......plenty of pilots out there today that are 265 or larger and fly everyday....but it is a harder path.

240 pounds is the R22 seat limit...but you can fly the 47, 300, 44 or 280 just fine at current weight. But without a medical you don't fly.....

Good Luck,

Goldy

• Like 1