Does Anyone Else Do This?

Turbolag

I catch myself looking up at the sky a lot when I'm outside walking. Always looking for an airplane or chopper. Whenever I see one, I always think to myself: I wonder where they're going. I wonder what the view is like. Are they recreational or commercial pilots?

Or if it's a nice day: man I would love to be up and see the view! And then start day dreaming about flying.

Just wondering if anyone else does that? Haha, sometimes I have to remind myself to look in front of me so I don't run into someone, or an object.

• Like 2

Yeah, I still do that. I'd bet that even ol' Avbug does too. Once you've tasted flight...what's that quote? But seriously, once you are a pilot you will *always* be looking skyward. For one thing you'll become an avid student of the weather. And yes, anytime you hear the faintest hint of an aircraft, your eyes will be scanning from horizon to horizon looking for it. Trust me, it never stops.

• Like 2

Yeah, I still do that. I'd bet that even ol' Avbug does too. Once you've tasted flight...what's that quote? But seriously, once you are a pilot you will *always* be looking skyward. For one thing you'll become an avid student of the weather. And yes, anytime you hear the faintest hint of an aircraft, your eyes will be scanning from horizon to horizon looking for it. Trust me, it never stops.

I know exactly the quote you're referring too! I saved it. What an awesome quote!

image_2.jpeg

Your right about the weather, before I started flying I never noticed wind, now I'm constantly watching it.

• Like 2

When I still lived on the Panhandle of Florida, I would get up off the couch and walk outside whenever I heard wop wop wop, I was near Hurlburt and there was always SpecOP birds doing sh*t along with a metric sh*t ton of TH 57 from Whiting Field hitting up Bob Sikes and down in Destin there were always birds from Rucker and Coasties from Mobile. My neck always hurt.

• Like 1

When I still lived on the Panhandle of Florida, I would get up off the couch and walk outside whenever I heard wop wop wop, I was near Hurlburt and there was always SpecOP birds doing sh*t along with a metric sh*t ton of TH 57 from Whiting Field hitting up Bob Sikes and down in Destin there were always birds from Rucker and Coasties from Mobile. My neck always hurt.

I've been down at Hurlburt a lot on trips doing training over the water. I always loved that area. Especially McGuires.

I was a 47 crew member and we used to play around on the beach down there. We could be playing volleyball or something on the beach and everyone would look up anytime a helicopter flew by, military or civilian. Every time we had one guy ask if we all forgot what we did for a living haha

Always looking for the helicopter I hear. Not so much for airplanes.

Apparently aviators see weather differently as well. Where's the wind? What are the clouds trending towards? My jaw drops when I hear people talking about it raining on one side of the street and how odd that is- "you'd think it would rain everywhere at once..."

• Like 2

I do it so often that I bought an app that tells me where all the IFR traffic is from, headed to, how high they are, how fast they are going, what airline, etc. My wife laughs at me every time I walk outside to see something new.

Wow there's an app that tells you that stuff?! We have traffic over our house all the time. We're not too far from the local municipal airport, and I think we must be in a pattern for Bush or Hobby. Because we get regional jets flying over here all the time. Sadly, I know it's usually the Saab 340, or American Eagles Embraier. Not 100% on the Embraier, but I think it is.

Most of the helicopter traffic I notice is around town.

I use Flightaware.com and hit the "Nearby Me" button if I don't want to go to all the trouble of entering my home airport.