15H to flying crew? Is this true?

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to ping my recruiter for insight, but he's not familiar with the aviation side. I'm looking to go Guard, but waiting for a 15T vacancy. I'm to the point where I might also check with the Reserve since I'm tired of waiting.

Once you reach "crew chief" through the 15T MOS, how many hours/yr can you expect to be flying if you're in the Guard or Reserves? Will most 15T's eventually become flying crew members?

I've been trying to ping my recruiter for insight, but he's not familiar with the aviation side. I'm looking to go Guard, but waiting for a 15T vacancy. I'm to the point where I might also check with the Reserve since I'm tired of waiting.

Once you reach "crew chief" through the 15T MOS, how many hours/yr can you expect to be flying if you're in the Guard or Reserves? Will most 15T's eventually become flying crew members?

I wish I could help but I know nothing about Guard or Reserve or Hawks. I was a 15U on the Active Duty side. In Active Duty and 15U I logged about 1,300 in about 5 years. Surprising not many maintenance guys wanted to become a crew chief, not sure if that's common or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you haven't gone Warrant have you? Are you heading home? Lol

ya I put in a flight packet before, long story what happened after that. I may do it again down the road but I really would like being a crew chief. Being a pilot would be cool too, but not an absolute must. I just enjoy being airborne and I think being a maintainer of a helicopter adds something to it.

So about what percentage of 15Ts become crew chiefs?

ya I put in a flight packet before, long story what happened after that. I may do it again down the road but I really would like being a crew chief. Being a pilot would be cool too, but not an absolute must. I just enjoy being airborne and I think being a maintainer of a helicopter adds something to it.

Like I said I don't know anything about 15T or NG or Reserve so I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm sure you would have good odds if you are squared away and show you want it. I actually miss being a crew chief, best times of my life.

Surprisingly, we've had some trouble filling slots, sometimes, and ended up pulling people fresh out of AIT. There's a lot of extra time and work involved in being a crew member, and the additional pay can be considered a paltry sum to the crew chiefs. (ESPECIALLY on the Guard/Reserve side. It should be a damn crime we have the same minimums but literally only get paid on the days we fly.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you haven't gone Warrant have you? Are you heading home? Lol

Well you wouldn't be wrong no. Perhaps you missed the "jk" on the end. Anywho, I get boarded in May, and then July, when I don't get selected I'm going AWOL so I don't have to be a recruiter. So I will go warrant or go home! Jk again. Or am I?

Surprisingly, we've had some trouble filling slots, sometimes, and ended up pulling people fresh out of AIT. There's a lot of extra time and work involved in being a crew member, and the additional pay can be considered a paltry sum to the crew chiefs. (ESPECIALLY on the Guard/Reserve side. It should be a damn crime we have the same minimums but literally only get paid on the days we fly.)

What are the flight minimums in the Guard/Reserve for 15T crew chief? And how much extra pay do you get? (not that it's a huge deal, but curious).

Well you wouldn't be wrong no. Perhaps you missed the "jk" on the end. Anywho, I get boarded in May, and then July, when I don't get selected I'm going AWOL so I don't have to be a recruiter. So I will go warrant or go home! Jk again. Or am I?

Yeah I know, just messing with ya. Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

Yeah I know, just messing with ya. Best of luck to you!

thanks brotha! I feel comfy about this board. It's a 50/50 shot! Good odds, yes or no! If I get a yes I poop my pants, if I get a no, I poop on the board members desk. It's too easy!