Choosing first duty station after Rucker

"One sergeant at the post found a place to live on Craigslist and was robbed her first week there, and witnessed a drug raid in the neighborhood the second week, Command Sgt. Maj. Jonathan White said."

Well sh*t. Guess I'm buying an AR finally.

• Like 1

Lindsey, is Yakima on your wish list or is that where you've been assigned?

I have a lot of family that live in Yakima, there are nice areas and some you just want to stay clear of, the line are pretty clear. Not a lot there but at least it has more then Enterprise, more in line with Dothan. Better climate then the west side of the Cascades, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, it has very distinct seasons.

Oh Yeah, a nice Mossburg with an 18 inch barrel would work nicely.

It wasn't on my wish list and in fact we were told they were full. Myself and my A/L stick buddy are going. I'm from Seattle so very familiar with the other side of the cascades. Can you expand on the good vs bad areas? I was looking on Craigslist and Zillow earlier and the outlook is pretty bleak.

Sooo...*cough* how's Yakima looking for flight time?

Sad truth I've always heard is that Medevac doesn't fly a lot in general.

Actually what I heard from a bunch of guys in my IPC was "Medevac is a really shitty thing to get for a first duty assignment as an aviator".

• Like 1

I think the dream sheet is just a way too make people feel good in the off chance that you randomly get selected for a duty station and it happens to be one that was on your list. They obviously don't even look at them. It also makes people feel like they have a choice in the matter, when in all actuality they don't.

As far as Rucker as a duty station, it's actually great from what I hear. I have 3 friends that got stationed there out of flight school. They're flying their asses off. Not to mention, it's at Cairns do you're not even on post. Does Enterprise suck? Kind of, but that's the majority of Army bases. Sh*tty little towns that only thrive because of the military.

Other than Flatiron, I've also heard Med sucks as a first assignment. Especially the TDA ones. Thera a whole group of aviators that came to my unit as a second duty station from a med unit and they didn't even fly minimums.

But then again, I'm starting to realize that that's just Army Aviation if you're not deployed (or 160th). There's just no money. It sucks if you ever flew commercially in the private sector, especially as a CFI like Lindsey, where you are used to flying every day or almost every day. Makes me miss flight school!

• Like 1

I think the dream sheet is just a way too make people feel good in the off chance that you randomly get selected for a duty station and it happens to be one that was on your list. They obviously don't even look at them. It also makes people feel like they have a choice in the matter, when in all actuality they don't.

As far as Rucker as a duty station, it's actually great from what I hear. I have 3 friends that got stationed there out of flight school. They're flying their asses off. Not to mention, it's at Cairns do you're not even on post. Does Enterprise suck? Kind of, but that's the majority of Army bases. Sh*tty little towns that only thrive because of the military.

Other than Flatiron, I've also heard Med sucks as a first assignment. Especially the TDA ones. Thera a whole group of aviators that came to my unit as a second duty station from a med unit and they didn't even fly minimums.

But then again, I'm starting to realize that that's just Army Aviation if you're not deployed (or 160th). There's just no money. It sucks if you ever flew commercially in the private sector, especially as a CFI like Lindsey, where you are used to flying every day or almost every day. Makes me miss flight school!

I think there is a false sense that 160th flies more. Minimums are higher but, the mission doesn't call for a lot of hours.

Med is not the greatest place for flight time but it could be great. I have seen on rare occasions, med pilots get more time then assault pilots.

I think people are not getting what they want duty station wise because there is a lot of restructuring going on. We are seeing the devastating effects of a hooribly executed ARI and the Army is full up and terribly mismanaged at HRC meaning units are bloated or they need people there is no in between.

Case in point, I am going to be a platoon IP in an assault unit. The company I'm going to has 5 IPs I'll be the 6th. Meanwhile, the sister company has 1 IP, why they do this? Have no idea,that's how the Army is run sometimes.

I have a good friend going to Yakima, he's expecting a lot of time off or on med standby. Lindsey I'd pick up some hobbies if I were you. 😉

Yeah Joe, I've already been offered a couple of CFI gigs including my old job on my off days, since it's only two hours away. If I don't fly a lot at the unit I'll still be able to get some good flight time in on the side. I suppose it would also be a good time to finish my Masters.

I don't really know what to think, to be honest. Lots of pros and cons. Obviously a tight knit, small unit far away from the flagpole is going to be pretty amazing for a WOJG and I should be able to get some quality WOPD for the next three years. It's two hours from home and some decent side flying gigs so at the very least I'll be flying in some capacity.

The flip side, of course, is I'll have been in the army for five years without ever having been in a FORSCOM unit. 2+ in TRADOC, and 3 in TDA. I want to deploy, I always have, that's why I joined the Army. Though I suppose as deployments go away, this might be a good time to go to a TDA unit.

The housing situation looks pretty depressing from a quick gander through Zillow and craigslist too. Hopefully I can get a sponsor or in touch with someone else to learn more about all that.

They are also flying A/Ls, and now that I've been completely spoiled rotten by the Mike...sad Lindsey is sad. I won't touch a Mike for 3+ years.

Either way I'll of course make the best of it and show up to my unit motivated and ready to progress.

I was only in Rucked for Flight School, but I never thought I would miss it. My wife didn't care for it either, until we got here in Riley. I can't wait to go to ALSE!! Plus I get to be saluted by all the WO1s lol :)

I was only in Rucked for Flight School, but I never thought I would miss it. My wife didn't care for it either, until we got here in Riley. I can't wait to go to ALSE!! Plus I get to be saluted by all the WO1s lol :)

Riley sucks really bad. About to leave here for WOCS. My biggest fear is getting orders right back here after Rucker...

Riley sucks really bad. About to leave here for WOCS. My biggest fear is getting orders right back here after Rucker...

You can't. Its against regs. You can not return to the duty station you came from as a first assignment after pinning WO1. Something about fraternization and being buddies with enlisted people you knew there...thats what we got briefed at least.

• Like 1

Yeah I put Hunter down on my list, my last unit, and definitely didn't get it. Then again tons of people want it. I don't agree with that though. I crewed 47s before and now flying a different airframe, so it wouldn't be like I would work with them. i usually stop by and see them whenever I'm in the area though.

I had heard Riley was awesome and lots of people loved it. After we got our orders we googled it and found forums with everyone saying they loved being here. I can't wait to PCS. The lost isn't bad, just the area. Then again to each their own.

I feel like this is a reoccurring thing. The wish list and even the supposed "needs of the army" don't really have a barring on where you're sent.

There is no point in the wishlist. Bragg was red, and Ms Nolette said there was no way anyone was going to Bragg or Campbell. I put Germany, Riley, Hunter..........got Bragg.

• Like 1

The jokes just come too easy, sometimes.

Karma's a bitch, isn't it? Besides the moving map, the thing I'll miss most is the Mike model location of the backup hydraulic pump switch. Sigh. T-rex arms.