May 2016 Warrant Officer Selection Board

Got my packet back from the CSM signed pretty late, but I got my packet in Friday.

I accidentally took my PT test in Feb 2015 where it should have been Feb 2016. Oops. Just sent corrections up.

Does anybody know if/how I will be updated on progress of my moral wavier or is it a black box we can't see into?

Does anybody know if/how I will be updated on progress of my moral wavier or is it a black box we can't see into?

I'm not sure if there is a way to find out any progress. I feel your pain though. I'm still waiting for my conditional release to come back. If I don't get it in the next week I'll be waiting til July.

I'm not sure if there is a way to find out any progress. I feel your pain though. I'm still waiting for my conditional release to come back. If I don't get it in the next week I'll be waiting til July.

Don't be discouraged and still get your packet in ASAP. I've heard of packets making it to the board when they were turned in while the board was convened. You still have a chance of being seen in May.

Discouraged is something I am definitely not. My packet goes in as soon as it can. I was just relating to not knowing the status of your waiver. Keep on pushing!

• Like 1

The May board is definitely cancelled. I was hoping it wasn't true, but my recruiter just confirmed it today.

I just don't understand why they would cancel the May board "due to low applicants" when the submission deadline isn't even near, so there could be and sounds to be a lot of people that can and will submit.

I just don't understand why they would cancel the May board "due to low applicants" when the submission deadline isn't even near, so there could be and sounds to be a lot of people that can and will submit.

Well they usually don't have this many civilian boards, so they probably don't need that many civilians atm.

The numbers applying for that month would likely be 150%-200% more than usual. Then if they only accept 10-15 candidates like they have been, then chances just got way harder for July. Now that's all speculative, but something to consider.

Sounds about right unfortunately.

Yeah i confirmed it. They over approved people into the WOFT program the past few boards so they are doing this because the slots are currently overfilled.

Everything I've read since I started this process last year, has said that each year at least one or two boards get canceled. Which makes some sense considering it's the only Warrant Officer MOS that has 6 scheduled boards each year. Good luck to everybody who gets their packet in for July.

Everything I've read since I started this process last year, has said that each year at least one or two boards get canceled. Which makes some sense considering it's the only Warrant Officer MOS that has 6 scheduled boards each year. Good luck to everybody who gets their packet in for July.

I can't wait to be throwing elbows, up against twice the usual amount of applicants as we all fight for a spot.....like trying to get on the last lifeboat off the titanic. Very Hunger Games-esk.

It occurred to me that my meeting yesterday with a retired colonel was the first time I have actually even met a helicopter pilot. I got the impression he wanted me to be asking more questions, but I discovered that I didn't really know enough about the army or helicopters to even know what questions I should be asking. In future interviews, what types of things should I be asking about so as not to look like I'm totally clueless?

It occurred to me that my meeting yesterday with a retired colonel was the first time I have actually even met a helicopter pilot. I got the impression he wanted me to be asking more questions, but I discovered that I didn't really know enough about the army or helicopters to even know what questions I should be asking. In future interviews, what types of things should I be asking about so as not to look like I'm totally clueless?

What aspect of flying did you consider the most difficult and why?

What traits/characteristics did successful warrant officers in your command(if O-grade) have in common?

Knowing what you know now, what would you have done different career wise?

Where do you see the future of army aviation heading within the next 5-10 years?

Do you think Air Force, Navy, and Marine pilots are really the best?

What aspect of flying did you consider the most difficult and why?

What traits/characteristics did successful warrant officers in your command(if O-grade) have in common?

Knowing what you know now, what would you have done different career wise?

Where do you see the future of army aviation heading within the next 5-10 years?

Do you think Air Force, Navy, and Marine pilots are really the best?

I think those questions are all good, but maybe just leave out the last one "Do you think Air Force, Navy, and Marine pilots are really the best? " I've asked it before and they don't like to entertain the idea that another branch is better.

I usually ask just questions about their background which usually allows them to then elaborate into some meaningful conversation that is less like an interview. How they got started, what made them choose aviation, etc etc.

I'm the first WOFT applicant my recruiting office has done in years so it's been a learning experience for everyone and they weren't aware of this yesterday afternoon. To confirm, the May board isn't going to convene for packets submitted on the March 18 deadline, correct? The May 20 packet deadline for the July board is unaffected (other than larger applicant pool)?

I'm the first WOFT applicant my recruiting office has done in years so it's been a learning experience for everyone and they weren't aware of this yesterday afternoon. To confirm, the May board isn't going to convene for packets submitted on the March 18 deadline, correct? The May 20 packet deadline for the July board is unaffected (other than larger applicant pool)?

Yes. Btw that deadline is just for AD applicants. Civilians can turn their finished packet (including BN Board interview) in up to two weeks before the USAREC board.

• Like 1