National Guard/Army Reserve Bonuses

Am I reading this right? They'll pay off your student loans up to 30K if you sign up for 6 years as a 154F!? I know there are a few recruiters on these forums, hopefully one of you explain this new program a bit more.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/careers/army/2016/02/15/warrants-wanted-national-guard-army-reserve-offer-big-bonuses/80066622/

I'm not a recruiter per se, but I've looked extensively into the National Guard SLRP. Right now, the Guard has up to a $50K SLRP pay-off if you enlist in a certain MOS. This is for both prior and non-prior. They only pay on federal loans though (like Stafford, Perkins, etc), not private.

They'll pay $3K per year, or 15%, whichever is greater, NTE the $50K lifetime max.

This obviously describes enlisted and not warrant, but it does lend credence to the article you site.

I may be wrong but I think if you do take that option you forfeit all other tuition assistance. That makes it much less desireable to me.

As in they pay off your current student loans but you don't get any TA in the future? I guess you wouldn't get the GI bill either unless you were activated.

I already have my degree so I guess I wouldn't "need" it, but I know the GI bill is transferable to kids etc.

Yep, should hopefully be making the May board.

From my understanding you can't contract into Reserves or NG aviation. Only into AD. I was looking into initially and both a NG recruiter and my recruiter said you had to already BE Reserves or NG for a certain amount of time to submit a packet for WOFT. I believe I have read in a few places that AD offers something similar to what you were describing though.

From my understanding you can't contract into Reserves or NG aviation. Only into AD. I was looking into initially and both a NG recruiter and my recruiter said you had to already BE Reserves or NG for a certain amount of time to submit a packet for WOFT. I believe I have read in a few places that AD offers something similar to what you were describing though.

I've never heard of that, but like I said I haven't done a ton of research into the Reserves or NG. If that's the case though it would somewhat explain why they're low on pilots.

As for the loan forgiveness, the only thing I've seen for active duty is if you serve 10 years and make 10 years of on time payments, the remainder of your balance is forgiven. At that point though, most people are done paying off the balance.

The link below pertains to commissioned (non-warrant) and enlisted for the National Guard. I'm not sure if it would exclude the commissioned route for 153A (pilot) since it's typically in high demand.

Also, if you take the SLRP, you DO NOT forfeit the G.I. Bill and G.I. Bill Kicker. However, you may have to choose between a bonus or the SLRP.

https://www.nationalguard.com/tools/student-loan-repayment-program

• Like 1

Some states have a street to seat option for Warrant but it's state dependent. MOST states require you to be a member prior to sumitting your guard packet.

Best person to talk to is your desired states Warrant officer strength manager. They'll have all the answers to your questions. Most guard recruiters, like AD, know little or nothing about the warrant process for their state.

Edited by Yamer

Some states have a street to seat option for Warrant but it's state dependent. MOST states require you to be a member prior to sumitting your guard packet.

Best person to talk to is your desired states Warrant officer strength manager. They'll have all the answers to your questions. Most guard recruiters, like AD, know little or nothing about the warrant process for their state.

Were you street to seat for AZ?

I sent the Florida NG strength manager an email today but haven't heard back yet. I also don't think we have any Chinooks, which was the MOS the article states was in short supply. Either way, it's something I'll take a look at.