Greetings, I stumbled on this forum a while ago. Thank you all for your service. My kid gets her butter bar this spring and then at some point heads to Rucker for BOLC and then helo school. I am just doing a little research in anticipation of helping her move. Could you guys chime in with where most of you live. On post vs off post. Prices in town convenience, conditions etc. She will be taking her dog with her so that will play in to decisions. Thanks for any input. Fly safe

I lived on post with my wife. There's acouple communities, Bowden Terrace and I think the older one is Allen Heights. Bowden Terrace was pretty nice. I'm not sure how it works being single but I know you can work it so you can get a roommate and live on post, two guys I knew did it. I'm not sure about where to off post. Don't live in Dothan, nothing wrong with it but would be horrible when you have to be at work at 3 a.m. I would say probably Enterprise or On-post. I loved being able to wake up 20 mins before I had to be at work :)

• Like 2

I have a question to go along with this thread. I am single, no dependents and counting down the days until class 16-012 which starts on 4/25. Official orders have not been cut yet.

Currently I live in PA and am PAARNG.

As for relocating to Rucker from PA, will I be permitted to fly home get my belongings then return to post? I won't be able to move prior to class start so I am trying to figure this all out before hand. Is there a website or something that list on post housing so that I can sign up for it prior to arriving for class or does everything need to be done after wocs but before WOBC?

Greetings, I stumbled on this forum a while ago. Thank you all for your service. My kid gets her butter bar this spring and then at some point heads to Rucker for BOLC and then helo school. I am just doing a little research in anticipation of helping her move. Could you guys chime in with where most of you live. On post vs off post. Prices in town convenience, conditions etc. She will be taking her dog with her so that will play in to decisions. Thanks for any input. Fly safe

My son, a LT just made the move to Rucker the end of December.

Does your daughter know her report date yet?

If you like you can send me a private message and I can pass along some information. This is my second son to go to Rucker, both as LTs. Maybe some of their experiences will come in handy.

I have a question to go along with this thread. I am single, no dependents and counting down the days until class 16-012 which starts on 4/25. Official orders have not been cut yet.

Currently I live in PA and am PAARNG.

As for relocating to Rucker from PA, will I be permitted to fly home get my belongings then return to post? I won't be able to move prior to class start so I am trying to figure this all out before hand. Is there a website or something that list on post housing so that I can sign up for it prior to arriving for class or does everything need to be done after wocs but before WOBC?

Yes, you will be at WOCS under TDY status. Once you graduate, you will return home to PA. Depending on your state, you will come back to Rucker under separate PCS orders at a later date. For me it was 7 days after wocs graduation, for a friend of mine from my same state it was 4 months later. It all depends on the state. Ask the SAO what they are planning for you.

The housing wait list is done by corvias so just cal them and ask about it but you should probably wait until you know when you're coming back.

Yeah Google Fort Riley Corvias and give them a call. I would get with your state as soon as you can to find out when they will send you after WOCS like Yamer said. I know wait times for on-post housing can take awhile. When I moved to Fort Riley Corvias was telling me it was a 6 month wait, which was awesome since I got my orders like a month before leaving

What is the typical time frame between finishing WOCS and beginning WOBC, then completing that and going to SERE? Also at what point would Rucker become my PCS? I'm going to BCT in May, then report to Rucker 11AUG for WOCS.

Also...Would it be easiest to wait until after SERE to have my wife and son move to Rucker with me? How do most active guys go about this process with their families, especially civilian to WOFT selectees?

I can't say for the civilian to WOFT but just as far as what I did as Active. It really just depends on how backed up it is usually. I graduated from WOCS on 18 December 13, then I went on block leave for Christmas. I went to WOBC during the first couple weeks of January. I moved my wife down right after WOCS. I had already been through SERE years ago though so didn't have to worry about leaving her for that though.

Fort Rucker housing didn't have a wait time for any neighborhood when I left there a month ago.

Muffin, I'm not sure but I think active duty get a PCS order from the BCT to wocs. That would be the best time to get your family there, if it were me.

• Like 1

On post is great for the convenience of being close to all the training. But she can also get a decent condo off post in Enterprise for roughly $800 a month and save some money. As others noted she can get a roomate on post and save money as well. I know LTs in both categories. On post houses do have a decent sized backyard and dog park which is convenient.

I chose on post for the convenience factor and I haven't had any issues. It helps when you have morning flight line or SDO shifts.

And there is currently no wait for housing on post.

I love living off post. Check out all the apartments, townhomes, and houses off Freedom drive about 5 minutes outside the Enterprise gate. It's a short commute (10-20) min to literally anything on base and is 5-10 min from enterprise. Good prices, convenient if she makes any non military friends, and you don't here revele at 6AM on Saturday...

I've been going through this decision myself. I'll be coming to Rucker single with no dependents. It really just comes down to cost. After the roommate I've had this year, I refuse to have one for training.. That being said, I can save more of my BAH living off post opposed to on post.

Yeah Google Fort Riley Corvias and give them a call. I would get with your state as soon as you can to find out when they will send you after WOCS like Yamer said. I know wait times for on-post housing can take awhile. When I moved to Fort Riley Corvias was telling me it was a 6 month wait, which was awesome since I got my orders like a month before leaving

Yes, you will be at WOCS under TDY status. Once you graduate, you will return home to PA. Depending on your state, you will come back to Rucker under separate PCS orders at a later date. For me it was 7 days after wocs graduation, for a friend of mine from my same state it was 4 months later. It all depends on the state. Ask the SAO what they are planning for you.

The housing wait list is done by corvias so just cal them and ask about it but you should probably wait until you know when you're coming back.

Thanks everyone, WOBC for me starts shortly after since im up against the age cutoff. I will be in WOBC class 16-016 start date is 23 May.

I lived on post with my wife. There's acouple communities, Bowden Terrace and I think the older one is Allen Heights. Bowden Terrace was pretty nice. I'm not sure how it works being single but I know you can work it so you can get a roommate and live on post, two guys I knew did it. I'm not sure about where to off post. Don't live in Dothan, nothing wrong with it but would be horrible when you have to be at work at 3 a.m. I would say probably Enterprise or On-post. I loved being able to wake up 20 mins before I had to be at work :)

I was on my cross country time builder with my flight school and they flew us to HQ in Jacksonville to start our flights and by chance they flew us into Dothan. If any of you were on an instrument approach at KDHN and there was a ridiculously slow Cessna 172 forcing you to Vector a couple weeks ago, my bad. We stayed the night in Dothan and I have to say, if there was one place you should never choose to live, it's Dothan. If you had to describe it, it looks like a mix between Chernobyl and a Meth lab, crossed with the Cracker Barrel. Took the FBO courtesy car to Rucker, cool place and the town outside wasn't half bad but from an outsiders perspective I can see why living on base would be the prime way to go. I'm sure I missed some nice neighborhoods but the base seemed the way to go.

If you had to describe it, it looks like a mix between Chernobyl and a Meth lab, crossed with the Cracker Barrel.

Hahaha! I haven't been to Dothan yet, but your description creates a hilariously disturbing mental image. I may place this quote in my signature line (attributed to you, of course).

• Like 2

Ha. If you think that of Dothan wait until you see Daleville. I live off post in Enterprise and I love it. Off post for the freedom and just getting away from the base at the end of the day is so worth it. Plus I live 10-15 minutes from anywhere on post so it's the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

Hahaha! I haven't been to Dothan yet, but your description creates a hilariously disturbing mental image. I may place this quote in my signature line (attributed to you, of course).

You'll see. Only way I Could describe the township of Dothan. I don't know if I drove through Daleville on the way to Rucker, all I know is everyone with a drivers license can get onto Rucker unless you're me. So I went to McDonalds outside the base and stared at a wall in defeat. One positive note was that being from the West Coast we don't get to see that old southern style housing so that was pretty cool. Also when I had my approach plate out for the ILS at KDHN my wifi picked up one connection from like 1000 AGL: "Roll Tide." Genuine Alabama experience.