How does that work for Drivers License and Car Registration? Do you have to be a resident of the state to maintain it once you leave? I used to live in GA and have been keeping my license and cars registered in GA for two or three years now after moving. Just been telling them I'm attending an Army school and they mail me my tags. Is it even necessary to tell the story? Would they even care I moved?

How does that work for Drivers License and Car Registration? Do you have to be a resident of the state to maintain it once you leave? I used to live in GA and have been keeping my license and cars registered in GA for two or three years now after moving. Just been telling them I'm attending an Army school and they mail me my tags. Is it even necessary to tell the story? Would they even care I moved?

BLUF: That all depends on the state you come from and the state you are in.

I see a lot of people with Texas plates here in Montana (where non-resident military registration is $6), so I would imagine Texas is pretty lenient with re-registering out of state. I'm from California and I would have to go back to have my car smog tested every year to register it, so it's totally worth it for me to switch to Montana plates. My California license is still valid, though it expired years ago. Even if your current state would continue to mail your tags, it might be better to have plates local to your duty station, or it could benefit you to have out of state plates if you have tinted windows in a place where it it is not legal or have emissions equipment removed in a state that does a sniffer test. I think there are too many variables to give good advice in this forum.

BLUF: That all depends on the state you come from and the state you are in.

I see a lot of people with Texas plates here in Montana (where non-resident military registration is $6), so I would imagine Texas is pretty lenient with re-registering out of state. I'm from California and I would have to go back to have my car smog tested every year to register it, so it's totally worth it for me to switch to Montana plates. My California license is still valid, though it expired years ago. Even if your current state would continue to mail your tags, it might be better to have plates local to your duty station, or it could benefit you to have out of state plates if you have tinted windows in a place where it it is not legal or have emissions equipment removed in a state that does a sniffer test. I think there are too many variables to give good advice in this forum.

Agreed. It's really going vary a lot from state to state. With Texas, as of March 2015, you can't register your car without having a state inspection completed first. I'll probably keep my license plate but register the vehicle wherever I end up.

Washington allows vehicle owners to have the Emission Test waived if they are Active Military stationed out of state. So the advice given above about each situation being different is spot on.

My older son kept his WA plates while at Rucker, he got local plates when he got to Hawaii, driving with out of state plates there is like having a target on your car.

Got my orders typed up to return to Rucker for ALSE. They have my graduation day listed as the day I'm departing Rucker as well. Does anyone know if that's right? Not sure what time I will graduate that day and still have to outprocess post. Just don't want to hit the road at 5pm.

Got my orders typed up to return to Rucker for ALSE. They have my graduation day listed as the day I'm departing Rucker as well. Does anyone know if that's right? Not sure what time I will graduate that day and still have to outprocess post. Just don't want to hit the road at 5pm.

Noob question here... but what exactly ALSE? I've read a little about it but curious to know how many pilot actually go through the training and when they typically do it?

Aviation Life Support Equipment. Basically just learn how to inspect and repair flight gear. From what I hear it's a chill course. I'm not sure how many people actually get it. I know usually want two people in a company to be ALSE certified for the most part. I would definitely try to get it. One more additional duty to make you stand out among your peers

• Like 1

You will be done and out of there by 0845-0900 that day at the latest. There were many if not most of my class that flew out the same day.

Without a doubt. Easiest course ever. And fun.

Throughout the process from WOCS to Primary I understand that there may be several weeks if not more of down time between schools/courses. Is it possible to requests being sent to some schools during that down time? Do any future pilots ever get to go to Airborne school before primary? What options are out there to help take up some of the time if approved?

Throughout the process from WOCS to Primary I understand that there may be several weeks if not more of down time between schools/courses. Is it possible to requests being sent to some schools during that down time? Do any future pilots ever get to go to Airborne school before primary? What options are out there to help take up some of the time if approved?

ALSE maybe. Airborne, ill just venture to say impossible. They arent going to risk losing a pilot if you get injured going to a school that you will not need.

Never heard of it but I would guarantee that it would be a no. Also do you want to risk going to Airborne school and breaking something when you have an awesome flying career ahead of you?

However, if you ask for honors during a hold thats a guaranteed approval.

Honors?

Never heard of it but I would guarantee that it would be a no. Also do you want to risk going to Airborne school and breaking something when you have an awesome flying career ahead of you?

Makes total sense. Was just using airborne as an example because I am not fully up to speed on all of the schools/courses available.

I have done honors, and a plane ceremony for the Blackhawk crew that went down on my last deployment. I'm a big baby when it comes to taps playing. I'll be perfectly fine but that bagpipe starts and it's like one of those old school sprinkler systems. Guess the music reminds me of my granddads funeral. Which was the first time I ever heard it played in person.

• Like 1