Army IPC & FAA Mil Comp

I've got my military competency (instructor) written exam completed and want to take my military course paperwork (UH-60M IPC) and exam results in to a FSDO to apply for my CFI-H.

Here's the question: am I eligible for the CFII in addition to the CFI?

I've heard a lot of hearsay on the matter. I've heard some guys get their CFI only, some have gotten their CFI + CFII; it sounds like it may be up to the interpretation of the FSDO. Granted, IPC is not the IE (instrument examiner) course. However, we do teach instruments in IPC, we do not evaluate instruments.

That being said, what's the verdict? If it depends on the FSDO, does anyone have any recommendations on where to take paperwork to receive both the CFI and CFII?

Regards,

zVo

I've got my military competency (instructor) written exam completed and want to take my military course paperwork (UH-60M IPC) and exam results in to a FSDO to apply for my CFI-H.

Here's the question: am I eligible for the CFII in addition to the CFI?

I've heard a lot of hearsay on the matter. I've heard some guys get their CFI only, some have gotten their CFI + CFII; it sounds like it may be up to the interpretation of the FSDO. Granted, IPC is not the IE (instrument examiner) course. However, we do teach instruments in IPC, we do not evaluate instruments.

That being said, what's the verdict? If it depends on the FSDO, does anyone have any recommendations on where to take paperwork to receive both the CFI and CFII?

Regards,

zVo

I was at Rucker, and didn't know any better at the time, so used the guy that comes down. He knows what's up. It really shouldn't be open to interpretation, because FAA is not military, as we know. However, it also shouldn't be that big of a deal, because now that you're apparently tracking stands, you'll get the IE course in a few years anyway.

Worst case, you can Fsdo shop over the phone...

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I'll 'FSDO shop' as necessary then. I just got a call back from a guy that took his paperwork to the FSDO I was going to apply at for my CFI/CFII. They gave him just his CFI because he had not been through the IE course yet.

I know what you mean: it shouldn't be up for interpretation, but the FAA is weird like that. Heck, the FAA releases letters of interpretation every so often (e.g. what justifies logging instrument currency contra to what 14 CFR 61.57 says) just because even some of the rules/regs are gray areas. If at all possible, I'm going to try to get my double-I since, even though I'm tracking standards, I'm dual tracked now and I'm on a little bit different trajectory where I may not get the IE course.

Years ago when I did mine I got the CFI/CFII Helicopter added on based on my experience as a Navy instructor at the FRS. I already had a CFI, CFII and MEI airplane so no written test. For comparison, the Navy didn't even have an IPC like the Army. FWIW I have not gone to the IE course yet.

Rob, interesting. In your case it was partially experiential credit rather than the course. Again, I think it goes back to the IE course title confusing FSDO people.

As for FSDO shopping, I've been to FSDOs before but never for solicitation. This is probably a dumb question, but how can I go about it tactfully? I feel like cold-calling FSDOs acting like "I completed the U.S. Army's instructor pilot course, what ratings does it qualify me for?" is like asking a dumb question I already know the answer to. :lol:

As a side note: the Army is planning on eventually phasing out the instrument examiner (IE) course completely. I don't think it'll happen overnight, but the plan at Rucker to save the Army $$$ is to combine both the IP/IE courses together. It's supposed to be happening soon (i.e. this year; 2-3 months from now). It's going to be interesting to see how they handle all the guys that never were afforded an opportunity to attend the IE course but are IPs currently performing their jobs at their units.

I'd just call and tell them you want your CFI/II-H as you just completed IPC and MCI. If they respond that you need the IE course, kindly thank them and go elsewhere.

If it's 2-3 months from now I'll definitely be in that boat. I don't see how it will save them money in the near term, as they'll still need to fund a make up course for a while, along with expanding the current IPC curriculum. Unless they're just going to ignore the problem.