Anyone know of any good aviation books to read? I know Chickenhawk and Low Level Hell are pretty big but haven't decided if I think I would like them or not. I prefer military and nonfiction books. I've read In the Company of Heros and liked it.

Anyone know of any good aviation books to read? I know Chickenhawk and Low Level Hell are pretty big but haven't decided if I think I would like them or not. I prefer military and nonfiction books. I've read In the Company of Heros and liked it.

Well those are both military and nonfiction. My favorites are Low Level Hell and Dustoff (by Mike Novosel, a friggin legend). If I had to choose any two books, those are the ones, and I have read every single Vietnam Helicopter memoir published.

Robert's Ridge is a good one from Afghanistan.

And for your Apache-self-love, "Apache" by Ed Macy is pretty damn legit, written by a British 'pache pilot.

Roberts Ridge is a very good read. I would add "Not a Good Day To Die" for another viewpoint on that event, along with the rest of Operation Anaconda. "The Battle of Britain: 5 months that changed history" is a great book about resiliency and what it means to fly in combat "at all costs".

As far as the Ed Macy book. It's the equivalent of watching Firebirds with "that guy" from WOCS. I am absolutely astounded at how much BS he managed to fit in 400 pages. The drivel about his eyes moving independently was my favorite part. Only read this book if you have at minimum 5 Apache stickers on your Ford F-350 dually.

• Like 1

I have read "Roberts Ridge" and it was excellent. I will have to check out "Not a Good Day To Die" and "Dustoff." I tried reading "Apache Dawn" and could not bring myself to finish it. I got to a part of the story where he was making a big scene out of the bird popping flares while departing a FOB and I was done at that point.

"The Night Stalkers" is another good one.

Not aviation related, but "Horse Soldiers" and "One Bullet Away" are also good military non-fiction from the early days of Afghanistan and Iraq respectively.

If you want abother good read on tactics, "The Bear went Over the Mountain". Also the "Devils Guard" is really good as well, WWII.

Roberts Ridge is a very good read. I would add "Not a Good Day To Die" for another viewpoint on that event, along with the rest of Operation Anaconda. "The Battle of Britain: 5 months that changed history" is a great book about resiliency and what it means to fly in combat "at all costs".

As far as the Ed Macy book. It's the equivalent of watching Firebirds with "that guy" from WOCS. I am absolutely astounded at how much BS he managed to fit in 400 pages. The drivel about his eyes moving independently was my favorite part. Only read this book if you have at minimum 5 Apache stickers on your Ford F-350 dually.

But I thought you guys love Firebirds? ;)

Also not aviation related but is an excellent read is "With the Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge. He details his experiences of WWII in the Pacific. Conveniently enough the audio books are on YouTube so you can download it for that long-haul C-17 jump across the pond.

Just as much as Navy pilots love TOP GUN.

Not quite. (Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not) Nobody takes that movie seriously and laughs about it just as much you would any cheesy 80s movie. Getting awarded any call sign from that movie is generally a bad thing and probably means you're a douche rocket.