Does having Flat Feet disqualify you from flying?

Pretty sure I never took my shoes off for the flight physical. But I have flat feet and it was noted at MEPs (which was news to me so it probably isn't "severe") and I got my flight physical stamped.

The bigger issue is when you're in basic. Do you wear shoe insoles? You're not allowed to bring those to basic and if you need them it's considered a DQ.

• Like 2

Pretty sure I never took my shoes off for the flight physical. But I have flat feet and it was noted at MEPs (which was news to me so it probably isn't "severe") and I got my flight physical stamped.

The bigger issue is when you're in basic. Do you wear shoe insoles? You're not allowed to bring those to basic and if you need them it's considered a DQ.

Wow. I do wear Dr. Scholls in my shoes when running. So if you wear insoles in your boots you can be dq from the program?

Wow. I do wear Dr. Scholls in my shoes when running. So if you wear insoles in your boots you can be dq from the program?

I don't think it really matters once you finish basic and maybe WOCS. I'm saying the tough part would be making it through those two schools without the insoles. I'm sure a lot of people wear them in their boots when they ruck/PT after they're in the Army. It really comes down to do you NEED the insoles or are they a luxury?

Here's the reg from the 40-501:

"(4) Current symptomatic pes planus (acquired (734) or congenital (754.6)) or history of pes planus corrected by prescription or custom orthotics does not meet the standard."

If I remember correctly, there was a few soldiers in my basic with flat feet. They were able to purchase off the shelf insoles when we did hygiene purchases at the shopette. That was Fort Leonard Wood in 2009.

If I remember correctly, there was a few soldiers in my basic with flat feet. They were able to purchase off the shelf insoles when we did hygiene purchases at the shopette. That was Fort Leonard Wood in 2009.

I've asked this question to a lot of people about it, but I've never heard of that (nobody who went to LW though).

They also said they don't allow you to bring your own running shoes anymore, but I've heard that depends a lot on your DS.

I've asked this question to a lot of people about it, but I've never heard of that (nobody who went to LW though).

They also said they don't allow you to bring your own running shoes anymore, but I've heard that depends a lot on your DS.

When I went though they made us purchase running shoes there. They had three choices depending on your foot type. My personal running shoes stayed locked up until I got to AIT. The shoes they made us buy were garbage in my opinion.

At Sill we could use our own running shoes if they were deemed to be in fairly good condition.