Former Navy but looking at Army WOFT

I'm former enlisted STS - Sonar Tech in the Navy and always have wanted to fly military but my vision prevented years ago. I now have corrected 20/20, but the Navy has shut the door due to my age. I'm 35 now, 6 yrs prior service with a dual masters (MBA + computer engineering, B avg). I've been told the Army might give me a shot. Is there any truth to this? I've read where some have gotten age waivers in the past. I'd like to go Active, if possible, but certainly open to Reserves.

I've seen some guys age 33 denied, I've seen some approved. My buddy got denied for his but truth be told he had nothing that really set him apart from an 18 year old applicant that can give 20+ years. College helps, being in good physical condition helps. Having prior service helps if you weren't a bump on the log your entire time.

Probably not. Think about it, they have like 120-200 slots to fill per year I'd say the odds are better for a waiver active based on the fact that they're pushing numbers in the 500-600 slots per year range. But that's just my opinion I'm no professional and I haven't been selected yet.

The Guard can do magical things. My current stick buddy is 35 (I'm in hawks right now). If you have any chance of this you need to begin work immediately because while I have seen people in their mid 30's here in flight school, I haven't seen anyone very far north of 35. You can try Active/Reserves but they are on a different recruiting system than the National Guard. The Guard can also approve(or drastically increase the odds of one being approved) age waiver's at a local level. Your best bet is the Guard. Go find a recruiter immediately.

The Guard can do magical things. My current stick buddy is 35 (I'm in hawks right now). If you have any chance of this you need to begin work immediately because while I have seen people in their mid 30's here in flight school, I haven't seen anyone very far north of 35. You can try Active/Reserves but they are on a different recruiting system than the National Guard. The Guard can also approve(or drastically increase the odds of one being approved) age waiver's at a local level. Your best bet is the Guard. Go find a recruiter immediately.

Thanks, I'll definitely check out the Guard. I also read online this morning that someone who was 40 got approved an age waiver in the Guard (they must be joking?). I've already begun work on my packet but still have a ways to go. Just how far north of 35 have you seen?

Thanks, I'll definitely check out the Guard. I also read online this morning that someone who was 40 got approved an age waiver in the Guard (they must be joking?). I've already begun work on my packet but still have a ways to go. Just how far north of 35 have you seen?

41. And he was given 3 or 4 chances at WOCS.

I spoke to a warrant recruiter and he said the NGB never has and never will waive someone over 35 no matter what state they are from. He said they might waive if you're 33/34, but no more. So he said they NEVER have and advised to not bother wasting me time (WTF!). Was that 41 y/o in WOCs definitely going to flight school and not becoming a technical warrant in some other field?

I spoke to a warrant recruiter and he said the NGB never has and never will waive someone over 35 no matter what state they are from. He said they might waive if you're 33/34, but no more. So he said they NEVER have and advised to not bother wasting me time (WTF!). Was that 41 y/o in WOCs definitely going to flight school and not becoming a technical warrant in some other field?

100% positive to be a pilot

One of my former students was a 40 yr old WO1 in the NG with a waiver. Wasn't exactly God's gift to aviation. Trying to learn a new craft that late in life can be overwhelming for some.

Recruiters love to say no, keep pestering someone until you get a yes.

Some of the "No"s I've gotten so far:

"You're too fat and your blood pressure is too high, you will be DQd because you aren't going to be able to get within healthy limits without medication."

-lost 30 lbs and got blood pressure down with just diet and exercise

"You aren't I good enough shape. We won't start on your packet until you can get at least a 270 on the PT. If you enlist, by the time you make it through basic your pt should be through the roof!"

-worked out for months and scored 290

"You probably won't do great on the sift, you don't know anything about flight. If you enlist in an aviation mechanic mos you will learn all that stuff."

-studied and scored 75

"Your going to need recommendation letters from some higher up officers, good luck gettting one to even meet with you. Once your enlisted you will know tons of pilots!"

-was able to arrange meetings with a Col and a CW5

"I don't know man, it's going to be hard. If you enlist, I bet you'll be picked up just like that!"

-now just hoping for good news in July.

• Like 5

"You're too fat and your blood pressure is too high, you will be DQd because you aren't going to be able to get within healthy limits without medication."

"You aren't I good enough shape. We won't start on your packet until you can get at least a 270 on the PT. If you enlist, by the time you make it through basic your pt should be through the roof!"

"You probably won't do great on the sift, you don't know anything about flight. If you enlist in an aviation mechanic mos you will learn all that stuff."

-studied and scored 75

"Your going to need recommendation letters from some higher up officers, good luck gettting one to even meet with you. Once your enlisted you will know tons of pilots!"

"I don't know man, it's going to be hard. If you enlist, I bet you'll be picked up just like that!"

Dude, I'm three years past being selected and your post still got me f*ckin motivated. Way to go!

-studied and scored 75

That's the attitude I plan to have. Also, if I'm already enlisted in my home state's Guard unit, can I apply to another state's WOFT program (if I get denied by my home state)?