How does your SIFT measure up?

I recently completed the SIFT and naturally wanted to know how my score compared to my competitors other applicants. It's been quite a while since I took a course in statistics and it took me longer than it should have to determine how I measured up. Rather than make you dust off that area of your brain, I decided to put together this cheatsheet (albeit poorly formatted).

Disclaimer: I'm assuming the USAREC disclosed mean (50) and standard deviation (10) are accurate in this table. I'm sure actual distribution is different but this should be close enough for government work.

SIFT Score % of Test Takers you Outscored

40 15.9%

41 18.4%

42 21.2%

43 24.2%

44 27.4%

45 30.9%

46 34.5%

47 38.2%

48 42.1%

49 46.0%

50 50.0%

51 54.0%

52 57.9%

53 61.8%

54 65.5%

55 69.2%

56 72.6%

57 75.8%

58 78.8%

59 81.6%

60 84.1%

61 86.4%

62 88.5%

63 90.3%

64 91.9%

65 93.3%

66 94.5%

67 95.5%

68 96.4%

69 97.1%

70 97.7%

71 98.2%

72 98.6%

73 98.9%

74 99.2%

75 99.4%

76 99.5%

77 99.7%

78 99.7%

79 99.8%

80 99.9%

• Like 1

What did you use as your sample data? Did you use the data from the "how do I look going in" threads on this forum?

I didn't collect any sample data. I assumed the USAREC published mean test score of 50 and standard deviation of 10 were accurate then used a standard z-table to calculate percentile. Like I said, it's been a while since my last statistics course so if my method is incorrect please let me know.

A mean of 50 and standard deviation of 10 are very convenient numbers so I'm sure they aren't completely accurate but I didn't have anything better to go on. The scores that make their way to this forum seem skewed to the high end for sample data. I'd imagine most people from this forum go in better prepared and more motivated than most.

Idk about this, I got a 64 and I don't think that was higher than 92% of applicants. I considered it slightly above average, but I could also it being the VR effect.

If you've made it to VR you're probably a serious applicant. This format also takes into account all the people who took it, didn't do so hot and moved on to another MOS/program.

Although I did NOT take a statistics class I believe this may be a little skewed. Unlike the ASVAB where everybody takes it, only people who have scored higher than a 110GT score will really have any need for this test. And I imagine the number of people taking the SIFT is VERY small in comparison to other Army tests. With those in mind it would almost make sense to set the mean higher than 50.

I state again though, I DID NOT take any statistics courses so I could be completely off base and have NO clue about anything I'm saying. Hell, I may be drunk. Who really knows about this kind of stuff anyways.

Interesting concept though...

Although I did NOT take a statistics class I believe this may be a little skewed. Unlike the ASVAB where everybody takes it, only people who have scored higher than a 110GT score will really have any need for this test. And I imagine the number of people taking the SIFT is VERY small in comparison to other Army tests. With those in mind it would almost make sense to set the mean higher than 50.

I state again though, I DID NOT take any statistics courses so I could be completely off base and have NO clue about anything I'm saying. Hell, I may be drunk. Who really knows about this kind of stuff anyways.

Interesting concept though...

I heard drunk. Whatcha drinking?

2000px-Standard_deviation_diagram.svg.pn

I won't argue that the number of high scores posted here make the percentage ranks seem improbable. However, +1 standard deviation from the mean is a 60 (assuming 50 and 10 are accurate, of course) and 84.1% of the data set will fall below 1 standard deviation.

TSU2007,

One thing that you need to consider when you're looking at putting together a statistical chart for the SIFT is whether you're looking all test takers or just those that have submitted a packet.

Since 50 is about the minimum score for applicants then 50 would not be the mean score, it would be the minimum. I understand that 40 is the passing score, you just do not see many on this board that have completed a packet with a score less then 50.

Taking this into consideration, a score of 60 would probably not be better then 84.1% of all applicants that completed a packet.

When submitting a packet it's not important where you rank on the SIFT score among all that attempt the test, it's more important where you rank among those that have completed a packet and been reviewed by the board.

MuffinMan,

Gin in the Lemonade would surely make the day go by faster, though I'd lean more toward Vodka.

• Like 1

TSU2007,

One thing that you need to consider when you're looking at putting together a statistical chart for the SIFT is whether you're looking all test takers or just those that have submitted a packet.

Since 50 is about the minimum score for applicants then 50 would not be the mean score, it would be the minimum. I understand that 40 is the passing score, you just do not see many on this board that have completed a packet with a score less then 50.

Taking this into consideration, a score of 60 would probably not be better then 84.1% of all applicants that completed a packet.

When submitting a packet it's not important where you rank on the SIFT score among all that attempt the test, it's more important where you rank among those that have completed a packet and been reviewed by the board.

MuffinMan,

Gin in the Lemonade would surely make the day go by faster, though I'd lean more toward Vodka.

I completely agree that it does a poor job of comparing where you stand compared to other applicants. I should have made it more clear that I was referring to where you fell in relation to all test takers.

• Like 2

One of the guys in my unit got a 43 on the sift. He flies probably no better or worse than any of the other young pilots, but just goes to show that sift scores aren't the only thing that matter for selection. The minimum is 40. I feel like the scores you read on this website are probably fluffed a smidge. Seems kind of unrealistic that 99% of this forum gets perfect scores. But hey what do I know I'm dumb I only got a 52.

I feel like the scores you read on this website are probably fluffed a smidge. Seems kind of unrealistic that 99% of this forum gets perfect scores.

The average score posted online is like 150 points. Gotta be at least 130 to even be competitive these days. I know they say the "maximum" score is 80, but that's only if you are giving it any less that 110%. And 110% would only be like 88 points. 150%, that's where you need to aim

• Like 1

The average score posted online is like 150 points. Gotta be at least 130 to even be competitive these days. I know they say the "maximum" score is 80, but that's only if you are giving it any less that 110%. And 110% would only be like 88 points. 150%, that's where you need to aim

Just a tip for people who haven't taken the sift. When you get to a section and answer 6/30 then your test freezes on screen, the timer still moves. I literally lost ten minutes waiting for the proctor to fix it, the whole time I'm begging her just to move me to another computer, by the time she finally let me move I had about 10 minutes to answer the last 24 questions. Needless to say it completely f*cked me. And I only got like 8 more done. While rushing through to read them. Reading comprehension probably thinks I'm retarded.

One of the guys in my unit got a 43 on the sift. He flies probably no better or worse than any of the other young pilots, but just goes to show that sift scores aren't the only thing that matter for selection. The minimum is 40. I feel like the scores you read on this website are probably fluffed a smidge. Seems kind of unrealistic that 99% of this forum gets perfect scores. But hey what do I know I'm dumb I only got a 52.

I would be the first to say I did not get perfect or near perfect. I only got a 47. Given I completed my entire packet in probably 3 months max and didn't have hardly any time to study due to me rushing to get everything done before I deployed.

As previous mentioned, I think scores on this forum tend to be higher than average. I know for a fact that the SIFT threads on here helped me study.

• Like 1

As previous mentioned, I think scores on this forum tend to be higher than average. I know for a fact that the SIFT threads on here helped me study.

^This. I tested with two others. One failed and the other got in the low 40s. I think this site attracts serious applicants.

• Like 2

Are you talking about the AFAST as opposed to the SIFT? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm like 98% sure you physically can't score higher than an 80 on the SIFT.

• 2 weeks later...