enstrom 28a

hi .a nice enstrom 28a has come up for sale close by .lots of new bit in the rebuild clean no expense spared .yet peolpe say .dont touch it underpowered underpowered.get a f28f or 280 ie no non turbo models .any opinions out there .its nice and cheap

• Like 2

The turbo version I flew needed 29" MAP to hover, so if the turbo went on holidays, it wouldn't even get off the ground.

Hated every second I flew the rotten things, shake, rattle, roll, difficult to start when hot, instrument panel looked like something out of a 1960s cheap car. Blecch.....

• Like 1

thats the first time ive heard someone say the turbo is underpowered.my main concern is safety and these machines seem to have the best safety record all over the world. i didnt find the one i was in rattly .i found it stable on a wild and windy day.however i flew in an r22 once and found it light all over the place and rattly on a very calm day .but thats a rookie s first impression .i dont care about a few gallons of fuel once i increase my chances of gettin home in the one piece.

The turbo version I flew needed 29" MAP to hover, so if the turbo went on holidays, it wouldn't even get off the ground.

Hated every second I flew the rotten things, shake, rattle, roll, difficult to start when hot, instrument panel looked like something out of a 1960s cheap car. Blecch.....

You had 10" to spare with that turbo engine...hovering 10" BELOW MAX is pretty darn good if you ask me.

Any Robbie's out there capable of that?

Guest pokey

all sorts of opinions on the turbo models.how about the non turbos ... help

1st helicopter i ever flew was a 28a... then after i got my A&P was the 1st one i ever worked in detail on, it is a nice ship, plenty of power.. it is a bit heavy tho,,, i would fly one any day

I think you would be wise to also look at the R-44 if you are looking for a private use ship. Derated for reliability (and endurance of the engine), great speed, great governor for ease of flight, good horsepower when fully loaded and great horsepower when full fuel and only one or two seats full...

Regardless of brand, Like everything else, a good non-biased pre purchase inspection and an honest analysis/calculation of expected costs of ownership and operation will help answer your question...

Been there done that story: First helicopter I found nearby that I could afford, I fell in love with, was willing to sell belongings just to purchase when a $1500 pre purchase inspection revealed another $40K in repairs or life limited parts to be safe and airworthy. Would have taken the fun out of ownership in a hurry...

Just have your eyes open...my thin nickel for what it will buy you downtown...

Edited by Rich1
  • Like 2

With you R1

It is not just buying it is ongoing costs that can kill the pleasure, only 9 life limited parts I think but that ain't all the story on ANY helicopter

• Like 1

im listening rich 1.and your probably right except the hrs ill do in the year wont add up because multiply x 12 and im out of time .the r44 is a proven machine no doubt .but this terminally ill when your born stuff puts me off robbies.im listening to you too 500e ill have no problem paying for the pre purchase inspection.enstrom first for safety .next for few lifed parts.last for lower maintanence costs am i right on the last bit .thanks guys

CBX.... You are right on the mark...regardless of brand, get your pre purchase inspection done, and do the best you can to project your actual costs of ownership... Double check your insurance costs as well...

R1

Ps, the Robinson terminally ill part is part folklore by those who have never owned one...I'm on my third. An earlier tbo/overhaul cost in exchange for proven reliability w my family on board? I'll take that deal.

Edited by Rich1

maybe the names we use on here reflect how we think ..the cbx 1000 honda was the super bike of the late 70 s .the yamaha R 1 moved on as technology improved. yet i can t help looking up at that big three bladed head and sayin theres no way your comming off.insuance costs on the enstrom are a fair bit cheaper on the enstrom for a low hrs pilot .but there the 4 th seat in the r44 so that brings it up.anyway im away to do a few hrs in an r44 next week

Guest pokey

If i'm not mistaken, that model has life limits on the blades of some ridiculous amount of time (like 99 thousand hours) ??

It's those pesky lamiflex bearings that will bite your wallet all the time tho.

I own a 1977 280C that has a lot of hours. The 28A as others have said has no turbo. It will require almost full throttle with 2 people to hover. One just crashed in Phoenix. I think he leaned it too aggressively. While ferrying it from Oregon to Arizona I was told by the ferry pilot that they were maxed on power quite often. For your own enjoyment it will be fine. Even mine with turbo has limits in hot weather and heavy. It is real easy to overboost the engine in hover and the oil gets really hot if you stay in hover or slow flight, but I think you have that with all of them. I learned in r22 in Vegas so many times to take off we had to slowly enter forward flight or we would bump the runway. The Enstrom will never do that. With the 3 blades it has so much inertia you can hover after an auto. In my research I found an I agree that if an Enstrom is maintained properly it is the safest and the most economical to operate.