The best explanation I've seen in 15 years on the pilot shortage

Who is interested in heading to the airlines!? If you've got fixed wing time some regionals are willing to invest a lot into you to get you to your ATP. Of course the starting pay sucks but it goes up quickly. Some folks out there that have an Instrument/commercial heli but not enough hours to get a job might want to consider doubling down on their training and switching teams. Adding fixed wing ratings isn't that hard if you're already inst/com and it's easier to find hour building jobs from there.

Anyway, this is a great read.

https://disciplesofflight.com/aviation-industry-airline-pilot-shortage/

Edited by achfly
  • Like 2

Chipping away at my SEL add on right now as I'm instructing, it was fairly easy to hop in a fixed wing.

My original thought was to just get my IFR ticket so I could build actual instrument time in the fixed wing to make myself more marketable later on. Looking like I might as well go all the way.

• Like 1

There isn't a pilot shortage. This myth has been the selling point for flight schools and aviation job services such as AIR Inc for decades. There's always been a big impending pilot shortage, but it hasn't occurred.

With economic changes, the bottom feeder employers of the industry are hiring, and due to minor changes which altered the minimum experience levels for those operators, they're faced with a selection dilemma, but that's it. There's no pilot shortage.

The airline route is not the panacea one might think.

• Like 2

There's other jobs then the one you have to buy. My opinion is if you wany to fly helicopters, go fly helicopters. If you want to fly fixed, go fly fixed. I didn't get into flying helicopters so i could fly a plane.

There's other careers that make good money with better job prospects also. Go be an underwater welder, truck driver, anything else. Personally i didn't get into flying helicopters to do any if that stuff. A plan b is fine but do what you want and make it happen.

And please don't buy a job. The boat thing looks like its the only option because they advertise how easy it is and market it that way. There's plenty of other options.

I think might be agreeing to disagree.

I just want to fly and I also don't want to starve. I am sure we can all agree with that sentiment.

Its my opinion that you got to be flexible and multifaceted (get as many ratings as you can) with; the dramatic cuts in the GOM, globalization, the proliferation of UAVS, multiple municipalities shutting down heli-tours around the country i.e NYC, Montana, South Carolina, etc.

Maybe some of ya'l have a different view on things like this because you are well established?

Don't know about a shortage, but there's at least one more open slot,...you're welcome :)

And please don't buy a job. The boat thing looks like its the only option because they advertise how easy it is and market it that way. There's plenty of other options.

By the way, met a couple of guys at that job of mine who had done the boat thing and it seemed to work out pretty well for them.

,...what's a panacea?

There won't ever be a pilot shortage when pilots are willing to work for peanuts just to brag in the bar that they are a helicopter pilot...

for what its worth in helicopter side of things - I'd have to take off my shoes to count the amount of people I've met that would stab you in the back to volunteer to fly for free.

on the fixed wing side of things that I do in the off season - 200 hour commercial fixed wingers are like "eff you pay me, i'm a commercial pilot"

just my two cents worth of first hand experience, I have no doubts there are pilots on both sides of the house that would contradict my experience but that is my first hand experience

For aspiring pilots/low timers like myself it might not necessarily be a panacea, but at least with the airlines you actually have a job where you get paid something, to me that's better than paying to take pictures of boats...

If you're talking about the airlines, what do you consider to be a "low timer?"

You understand that you'll need to meet ATP minimums and be qualified to pass the ATP practical test as part of your type ride, in order to get hired on with even the bottom feeder regionals, right?

Maybe some of ya'l have a different view on things like this because you are well established?

Some of us might have a different view of things because we've been around long enough and have seen enough and done enough in the industry to have the view we express. Do you think that means so far separated from the grass roots and entry level that we can't understand? You may be quite mistaken.

,...what the f*ck's a panacea?

Speaking english is presently a requirement for pilot certification. Look into it.

I think might be agreeing to disagree.

I just want to fly and I also don't want to starve. I am sure we can all agree with that sentiment.

Its my opinion that you got to be flexible and multifaceted (get as many ratings as you can) with; the dramatic cuts in the GOM, globalization, the proliferation of UAVS, multiple municipalities shutting down heli-tours around the country i.e NYC, Montana, South Carolina, etc.

If all you want to do is fly, why did you start out the expensive way?

Why would the expense necessarily deter me or anyone else if they are determined or passionate about something?

And I think that could apply to a lot of other aspects in life.

And whats the problem with going for a dual rating no matter which one you do first? If able to do so..

If you're talking about the airlines, what do you consider to be a "low timer?"

You understand that you'll need to meet ATP minimums and be qualified to pass the ATP practical test as part of your type ride, in order to get hired on with even the bottom feeder regionals, right?

Some of us might have a different view of things because we've been around long enough and have seen enough and done enough in the industry to have the view we express. Do you think that means so far separated from the grass roots and entry level that we can't understand? You may be quite mistaken.

3.)Yea thanks for the heads up, that ATP part was mentioned in the OP's linked article. There are a few places offering restricted ATP ratings nowadays as well, so that's an option til I reach the experience or regulators change it up again.

2.)Exactly, you have a different viewpoint because you are established. Thanks for backing me up on that.

1.)Gosh, I'm sorry if I threw you off by not being more specific, I mean "low timer" can have such a vast meaning in this industry, for this instance I want it to define anybody with sub 1500 hours PIC. I realize even at that point one is still considered "low time." So I guess its all relative?

I mean "low timer" can have such a vast meaning in this industry, for this instance I want it to define anybody with sub 1500 hours PIC. I realize even at that point one is still considered "low time." So I guess its all relative?

I'm a "high-timer" at the renters barbeque. :)

Yea thanks for the heads up, that ATP part was mentioned in the OP's linked article. There are a few places offering restricted ATP ratings nowadays as well, so that's an option til I reach the experience or regulators change it up again.

It's not simply a matter of getting a "restricted ATP" certificate (no such thing as an "ATP rating"), to get on with an airline. Obtaining the ATP with reduced qualifications and the restrictions that attend it doesn't net you much.

Exactly, you have a different viewpoint because you are established. Thanks for backing me up on that.

I didn't back you up on that and no, I don't have a "different view point" because I am "established." I work at all levels in the industry, dealing with student pilots through very experienced pilots; I understand the point of view of the prospective student just as well as that of a very experienced aviator. What you're saying is something I hear from teenagers a lot. One couldn't possibly understand the teenage mind, being an "old guy" and all. After all, none of us were ever teens...

Gosh, I'm sorry if I threw you off by not being more specific, I mean "low timer" can have such a vast meaning in this industry, for this instance I want it to define anybody with sub 1500 hours PIC. I realize even at that point one is still considered "low time." So I guess its all relative?

If you're talking about a low-timer finding work as an airline pilot, and you are defining a "low timer" as one with less than 1,500 hours, then the airlines are not the solution for the "low timer."

kj

-Jeeeeeez man, what your saying is something I hear from my bitter old uncle. I don't doubt your experience at all, but come on already with all the talking you been doing, you haven't offered any solutions or advice. (I know its not your job to do that on here...but still)

-All I did was piggy back off of what the OP said and expressed my intention in going for a dual rating that could benefit my potential heli career.

-Of course the regional airlines aren't a "panacea," who even implied that? Whats wrong with a helo pilot who's going dual rated already, considering working towards the regionals down the road?

What do you have to say to the poor fellas working in the GOM who got blindsided the crude oil downturn?

And I got another guy on here telling me to go be a truck driver? Where did that even come from?

• Like 1

Good thing for me its Latin.

"Panacea" is Greek. I am so disappointed in you.

To the point- Nothing wrong with being dual rated. But, I know more airline pilots driving helicopters than helicopter pilots driving airliners. Airlines pay well if you survive enough layoffs to be senior.

• Like 1