Question on Army Reg / 24month BOLC requirement

Hello all,

So I am an ARNG officer who commissioned 12 months ago. I have 24 months from my commissioning date to attend BOLC. Current flight school spot for my unit is in 12 months, but it isn't my slot (I am #2 on the OML). The current estimate is that I will go FY18. So seeing how that will put me past my 24 month requirement to attend BOLC, I have been told that my unit will have to pass up a waiver for the 24m regulation.

So the question I have right now is this; Has anyone here been faced with the same issue in the careers or seen someone with it? if so what happened?

People in my unit have not seen this problem before so I want to try to prepare as much as possible so I don't lose my commission and my dream of flying helicopters professionally.

Thank you!

Hello all,

So I am an ARNG officer who commissioned 12 months ago. I have 24 months from my commissioning date to attend BOLC. Current flight school spot for my unit is in 12 months, but it isn't my slot (I am #2 on the OML). The current estimate is that I will go FY18. So seeing how that will put me past my 24 month requirement to attend BOLC, I have been told that my unit will have to pass up a waiver for the 24m regulation.

So the question I have right now is this; Has anyone here been faced with the same issue in the careers or seen someone with it? if so what happened?

People in my unit have not seen this problem before so I want to try to prepare as much as possible so I don't lose my commission and my dream of flying helicopters professionally.

Thank you!

Does ARNG let you pick your branch or is it based on OML at OCS?

To branch you put up a top 5. Depending on your state, it may not offer all branches. You have to be selected by the aviation unit in your state to even think about going aviation branch.

For Aviation in the National Guard, you have to apply separately to that unit. Take your SIFT test, flight physical and wait for it to come back from Ft. Rucker approved, get the rest of you packet together and then go in front of the Aviation Commissioned Officer Board and wait for the results to be put on the OML if you are selected. The whole process takes around 1 year to complete.

I have been accepted by my state's unit and occupy a 15A slot. I have been selected for about 18 months now, and probably another 18 months till I actually go to Ft. Rucker. That's why I posted my original post needing some help in the matter.

• Like 1

Yes, SBuzzkill. . . It does indeed. Have you ever seen someone experience my situation before?

Yes, that is common for ARNG aviators. It will vary from State to State, but 'typically' each State may only get 2-4 flight school slots per year and that includes those going as a WO.

I was commissioned via ROTC in June 1988 as a 2LT (I was previously enlisted in the Army guard also) and did not attend Officers Basic Course and flight school until January 1990. Go to your unit and be the best SLOJO (shitty little jobs officer) that was ever there. Expect to be the Motor Pool Officer, the Mess Officer, the Convoy Officer, the Snack Officer, the Range Qualification Officer, CO's flunky,...... get the picture?

Do the best job you can in these little jobs and keep a good attitude. Take this time to earn the respect of those senior CW3's and CW4's now. Trust me, they are watching you and will decide if you are going to be a good LT based on your attitude while you wait for your flight slot. It will all be worth it when you return as a Rated Officer.

Just my .02 cents. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

Thank you Dnr032 for that advice. I've been in the unit for 12 months so far (got selected half way though OCS) and been doing all those jobs no one wants to do. Everything from IO to OIC of ranges. Trying to learn as much about being a Commissioned Officer and a pilot before I go to Rucker. Things such as ARMS inspections, running AVCAT Sims, and the mountain of paperwork commanders deal with. I've been trying to help all of the warrants out as much as possible. Mainly to be an asset to the unit, but also try to gain some respect.

I am mainly worried about the waiver for the 24mo requirement in all honesty.

• Like 2

I would not worry about the 24 month requirement. That rule is mainly in place for reserve officers who continually decline school dates. The HRO at your State knows that you are on the list and waiting for a slot. If you are participating and drilling, then they are not going to kick you out due to the 24 month rule, while you are waiting for a slot.

Now for the good news- many times there are short-fall class dates. If possible, (civilian job, family, etc) let your Command know that you are willing to accept a short-fall class date. I have seen officers get a call on Friday afternoon for a report date on Monday morning. Also, those projections do change and you could go earlier than FY18. So just keep working hard and keep a good attitude. Trust me when I say, 'there is nothing worse than being an un-rated 2LT in a flying unit." Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. But it will all be worth while when you finally start class at Rucker.

I would not worry about the 24 month requirement. That rule is mainly in place for reserve officers who continually decline school dates. The HRO at your State knows that you are on the list and waiting for a slot. If you are participating and drilling, then they are not going to kick you out due to the 24 month rule, while you are waiting for a slot.

Now for the good news- many times there are short-fall class dates. If possible, (civilian job, family, etc) let your Command know that you are willing to accept a short-fall class date. I have seen officers get a call on Friday afternoon for a report date on Monday morning. Also, those projections do change and you could go earlier than FY18. So just keep working hard and keep a good attitude. Trust me when I say, 'there is nothing worse than being an un-rated 2LT in a flying unit." Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. But it will all be worth while when you finally start class at Rucker.

I know two Lt's (reserves) who had class dates 6-8 months and managed to snag some short-fall class dates. Keep the faith. Best wishes.