Is the magic number 2000 now?

Astro

Let me jump in and share my personal experience and let you guys read between the lines.

My first job after teaching was flying tours in South Dakota around Mt.Rushmore. I had the minimums, but the owner and CP was most impressed that I got in my car and drove the 12 hours to attend the interview.

Before I got that job I had driven about 10 hours up to NYC and spoke to a tour company about working there. I didn't get the job, but when I went back the next year, I got the job. It wasn't because I had more hours, it was because he remembered me from the previous year. He knew I wanted it bad enough to keep coming back until I got it.

When I got my position in EMS I was still

Sorry......accidentally posted early.....When I got my position in EMS I was still in NYC. A position halfway across the country again. I used my days off to drive all the way out there for the interview. The guy who interviewed me was impressed that I made the drive, that I had committed myself to the journey for the chance to talk to him. He offered me the job on the spot.

I'm not going to claim to know the answers, but I hope you guys can read between ten lines for what worked for me. You have to show a determination, drive and commitment for the job in the interview. I've had other interviews with jobs I never received, well below minimum experience because I display this drive and passion in my phone calls to CPs and in resumes.

• Like 1

I have found that calling the places that you might want to work at, and speaking helicopter (as well as general things about life) has helped my networking. Everyone has been very helpful and friendly (minus a few strictly HR folks... although some have been more than fantastic).

I am retiring from the military soon, and a good attitude seems to go a long way. There are people out there that are willing to talk and help.

I have a descent resume format (thanks Staci), and am willing to share with anyone who would like.... just ask. I am not trying to brag, but I have been asked (not me asking) to send my resume a few times to some of the places I would like to work, and have been told it looks solid (format and my quals).

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

About a month ago I posted about doing a cross country road trip to try to find a job, well here are the results and no there is no magic number. Over the course of two and half weeks and 8300 miles I visited thirteen different operators. I had planned to visit more but I had to cut my trip short due to a family emergency. Of those I visited seven gave me interviews on the spot, four said "I'm sorry were really busy right now, leave a resume and we'll get back to you", and two wouldn't talk to me at all. Of the three I left resumes at one called me back to offer an interview. From the interviews I received three job offers and I believe there would have been a fourth if I had followed up on it but I had already accepted an offer from my first choice. I did this with a hair under 1600 hours which was significantly less then the minimums this company lists when they post jobs. There is work out there and the road map to success has been laid out on this site many times.

• Like 5

Nice job. Congratulations! 8300 miles? Holy crap. There is no magic number and there never has been. When the market gets tight, it just makes it a little tougher, that's all. I am employed but if and when I'm ever not, I'll be loading up the car rather than just sending out resumes. Care to share what operators you visited?

Awesome Fred! Way to go out there and get it. Yet another story proving that they are out there, but they will not come to you. You have to make the effort. Congratulations!

• Like 1

From my first day of applying for fast food jobs and flight line positions I learned that it's rare to be selected from a pile of resumes and applications. It's the personal interaction that gets you a job, and the timing must be right.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 5

A couple days ago I read an article in Rotor magazine where the pilot shortage was mentioned, yet here we have a guy with almost 1600 hours who had to drive around for 8300 miles to find work! There seems to be a disconnect here? I wonder how HeliSuccess will be next month?

There may not be a magic number, but it does seem like work is getting harder to find.

There is no pilot shortage. There's never been a pilot shortage, nor will there be one. This myth needs to die, but it's perpetuated by flight schools trying to sell training to students. It doesn't exist, and won't. Those who spend money in anticipation of a pilot shortage are set up to be sorely disappointed.

I was promised job placement after I got my commercial and finished a training program. When I asked where I'd be going, I was told to buy a car and start driving. Ask every operator I came to for a job. Eventually someone was bound to hire me.

That's how I got my first job. I broke down in a small town, two flat tires, just enough money left to either eat or put gas in the car. I was hired, instead, and put up in the house of the owner.

Those who expect to graduate and get a job are products of illusion; there was a brief period not long ago in which people were getting hired with no experience to speak of, but it's never been the norm. Today, those who expect it at low hours are products of a sense of entitlement.

It seems more like HAI not flight schools that is perpetuating this myth of a "severe pilot shortage ever looming in our future". I imagine that when it finally arrives enough jobs will have been lost to drones as to even things out?

It's not going to arrive.

I doubt you'll see much job loss to unmanned.

That's how I got my first job. I broke down in a small town, two flat tires, just enough money left to eat

wait ! wait !!! wait !!!! how many tires on a 747? and only 2 were flat? C'mon, do you expect us to believe this hogwash?

• Like 1