Blackhawk Altitude Limit

She isn't taking fire or anything, so I'm not going to count any of those hours.

lol

That being said it is completely fair to strike all of my 84 hours from the record.. You're right.. I've got literally the EXACT same amount of experience as someone with 0 hours. Might as well have 0 hours... I agree. Private Pilot License is something you can just print out on the internet and the FAA recognizes it and everything..

84 hours, PPL.. /scoff.. Clearly 100% worthless.

Guy, I came in with a PPL and 140 hours, all of which helped me gain approximately 0 knowledge of Army aviation.

I'll tell you what. When you graduate basic, we can meet up for 'za before you start WOCS. And then you can dazzle me with all your knowledge and I can show you exactly how much you don't know.

>inb4 don't feed the trolls

I say this thread should have its title changed to, "Do most Blackhawks want altitude limits?"

On an unrelated note, my wife (who is Korean) was telling me about what I can only assume to be second hand accounts of hazing rituals her brother told her about, taking place in the South Korean military involving wasting time beat boxing and performing dance moves for the amusement of their commanding officers, and those whose hip hop routines are not up to standard are punished with additional push-ups and undesirable duties.

I explained to her that the US Army is serious business and American soldiers have more important things to do than sing and dance during work hours. Though since I have not yet entered the US military, I can not be certain.

I explained to her that the US Army is serious business and American soldiers have more important things to do than sing and dance during work hours. Though since I have not yet entered the US military, I can not be certain.

Oh there will be plenty of song and dance. At least there was.... Maybe Engineers are just weird...

This went downhill fast.

I will add a caveat to this discussion, relevant to the OP, that a slick hawk is quite capable of getting up to the service ceiling in AK, but with minimal useful load. In Colorado, HAATS has a few hawks with minimal equipment, aside from the hoist, to perform SAR at altitudes up to 14k, but with higher temps than here in AK. What is was designed for, however, was tactical insertion of a rifle squad, and that payload further limits the useful altitude, especially in Afghanistan in summertime. That's why Chinooks have been so busy over there, as missions typically done by hawks are being done by hookers.

Additionally, there are additional mission configurations to the aircraft. For example, the Air Guard's aircraft are substantially heavier than the Army/Guard's aircraft, and have more difficulty in performing hoist missions at altitude because of the higher zero fuel weight. I don't know if the Army's MEDEVAC birds in the 'ghan are flying around with the carousel, but that adds a bunch of weight as well. I'll be finding out first hand soon enough. If it were up to me, I'd pull the carousel, paint over the crosses and add two 240s and a door gunner.

So, to answer the OP..... it depends.

• Like 1