UK to US time conversion

Hey guys. Can anyone point me in the right direction "for a friend of mine" who is transferring from the UK to the US and wants to convert his certificate? I am in charge of finding a good training plan for him. I've never done anything like this, so any references, websites, etc would be great. I don't mind doing the work myself, but I get stuck on where to look.

-Current PPL rotorcraft from UK CAA.

-US Citizen

-112 hours in R44, but only 47 hrs PIC (weird...)

-24 hrs XC, 22 hrs Hood.

-Wants to pursue instrument rating

Heres what I am thinking he needs to do:

1) CAA to FAA PPL conversion, mostly paperwork.

3) Flight review from CFI

4) SFAR awareness training

**5) Does any of his time acquired in the UK count towards his US tickets??**

Does the UK separate out the night training into a "rating" (like some other countries do), and if so, does he have said "night rating"?

,...'cause he'll need night hours for a US PPC!

I think Bristow may be experienced with conversions?

"A friend of mine" who is transferring from the UK to the US and wants to convert his certificate?

I've never done anything like this, so any references, websites, etc would be great.

I don't mind doing the work myself, but I get stuck on where to look.

-Current PPL rotorcraft from UK CAA.

-US Citizen

-112 hours in R44, but only 47 hrs PIC (weird...)

-24 hrs XC, 22 hrs Hood.

-Wants to pursue instrument rating

**5) Does any of his time acquired in the UK count towards his US tickets??**

Since the UK is a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, you should be able to use all the flight time appropriate to the certificate or rating sought. Below are the basic references. The bottom reference is to the FAA’s 8900.1, which is the main guidance for FAA inspectors.

§61.41 Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA.

§61.75 Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license.

Foreigner Application Process. The FAA and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) require a foreigner who applies for a U.S. pilot certificate/rating, or who holds a U.S. pilot certificate/rating and applies for an additional rating, to go through a background security check and have their foreign pilot and medical licenses verified for validity purposes.

1) The procedures that a foreign person must follow to apply for a U.S. pilot certificate/ratings are described on the FAA’s Airmen Certification Branch’s (AFS-760) Web site at:

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

2) The TSA’s Web site that describes the reporting requirements for giving pilot training and certification for foreign pilots is located at: https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/?acct_type=c&section=WN

Ref Link - Order 8900.1, Vol. 5, Chap. 2, Sec. 14

Edited by iChris
  • Like 2

Since the UK is a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, you should be able to use all the flight time appropriate to the certificate or rating sought. Below are the basic references. The bottom reference is to the FAA’s 8900.1, which is the main guidance for FAA inspectors.

§61.41 Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA.

§61.75 Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license.

Foreigner Application Process. The FAA and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) require a foreigner who applies for a U.S. pilot certificate/rating, or who holds a U.S. pilot certificate/rating and applies for an additional rating, to go through a background security check and have their foreign pilot and medical licenses verified for validity purposes.

1) The procedures that a foreign person must follow to apply for a U.S. pilot certificate/ratings are described on the FAA’s Airmen Certification Branch’s (AFS-760) Web site at:

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

2) The TSA’s Web site that describes the reporting requirements for giving pilot training and certification for foreign pilots is located at: https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/?acct_type=c&section=WN

Ref Link - Order 8900.1, Vol. 5, Chap. 2, Sec. 14

Thanks iChris! This is exactly what I needed to find out. Too bad I forgot to check my post before I went in my job interview... womp womp.