May 2017 WOFT Board

Can you be a civilian and apply for a WOFT spot?

I exited active duty from the Marine Corps last January and when I was discussing Army aviation with a WO recruiter he said I would need to enlist into a unit first and then apply for a WO pilot spot.

I'm a little confused. From reading through here it appears that people who are out of the military or in other branches reserve/active components are able to apply.

WOFT is only for civilians. AD or Blue to green, has some different requirements. If you are in IRR or reserve i am not sure. If you are HD or not currently serving in any capacity, you can apply as a civilian for WOFT. Not sure what you mean by a WO recruiter, unless you are AD, there aren't any WO recruiters per se. Sounds like you went into a recruiting station and talked with a regular recruiter if they are telling you ya gotta enlist and then transfer because that is complete bullshit. There is a years of service limit for the WOFT program, which I believe only applies if you have 7+ years of AD, but even that is waiverable.

87%... that's awesome and gives me some hope! My packet is in for the next board do let's see! It's been a long year putting the packet together but I'm getting there! Not even my board and was anxious for the results to come out! Congrats to everyone who made it... See you all at Rucker!

Selected!!!!!!!

Beyond excited right now!!! My heart was pounding last night when I pulled up the message, and it came crashing out of my chest when I saw my name there! Couldn't be happier!

• Like 4

Late post,

Got selected as well! Man, what a sweaty two months waiting though. Had a moral waiver hanging over my head until the Friday before the board. They really mean it when they say it can be approved the day before the board.

Congratulations to the others selected. Sorry to those that didn't. Keep trying. The shortage is real.

Be safe everyone!

• Like 2

Can anyone break down the difference between the 7 week resident course and the DL + 5 week resident course? My recruiters were not able to explain the difference, and who attends what course.

I am a PS USMC E5 with Sergeants Course, which to my understanding would place me in the DL + 5 week course.

The difference is that if you go to the five week course, you must take and complete the classes and tests for the two weeks you will not be at the physical school house for. To attend the five week course, I believe you need WLC or equivalent with a three year or less hiatus from service. (someone correct me if I am wrong.) Just because someone is prior service, or has WLC does not mean they will attend the five week course. One of my roommates in the seven week course was an E7 currently with the guard, for example.

Also, there aren't any new classes being put into WOCS from what they already have going on at the moment. They only have so many beds, and so many instructors. The date you got is the date you got.

Anyways, good luck and congratulations to everyone who was selected. You'll love it.

Did anybody on the May board get an age waiver approved? I have a close friend whom is also applying. He missed this board and will be applying for the next one so we continue to wait and wonder if he'll get it. Promising that someone's Moral waiver got approved.

He has a really high PT score and maxed out his SIFT score, as well as military aircrew flight time and awards to match. I keep telling him he's got an awesome packet but that age waiver continues to hang over his head.

So, anybody?

Did anybody on the May board get an age waiver approved? I have a close friend whom is also applying. He missed this board and will be applying for the next one so we continue to wait and wonder if he'll get it. Promising that someone's Moral waiver got approved.

He has a really high PT score and maxed out his SIFT score, as well as military aircrew flight time and awards to match. I keep telling him he's got an awesome packet but that age waiver continues to hang over his head.

So, anybody?

I've seen several age waiver candidates come through here. It's definitely not impossible for it to happen.

So, anybody?

CG.Mech, I was granted an age waiver literally Monday of the board, and was Q-S. This response is going to be lengthy as it's not a simple "yes or no". I also had, what my CW5 mentor said, was an incredibly strong packet. I'm 33, turn 34 in July so just barely over the cutoff. I am fortunate enough to live in D.C. and work at the Pentagon regularly so I have met people who were watching my packet go through it's channels. The word I got was that Proponent recommended denial of my waiver to G1, which sent my contact over to G1 to speak on my behalf. He told me that my saving grace is I am a documented 280 to 290 PT Soldier. All if my evaluations as an E5 and E6 show I've never been below that. He said that was the sole factor for approval. Hope this helps and tell him to stay positive, he's not out of the fight!

CG.Mech, I was granted an age waiver literally Monday of the board, and was Q-S. This response is going to be lengthy as it's not a simple "yes or no". I also had, what my CW5 mentor said, was an incredibly strong packet. I'm 33, turn 34 in July so just barely over the cutoff. I am fortunate enough to live in D.C. and work at the Pentagon regularly so I have met people who were watching my packet go through it's channels. The word I got was that Proponent recommended denial of my waiver to G1, which sent my contact over to G1 to speak on my behalf. He told me that my saving grace is I am a documented 280 to 290 PT Soldier. All if my evaluations as an E5 and E6 show I've never been below that. He said that was the sole factor for approval. Hope this helps and tell him to stay positive, he's not out of the fight!

Hey, thanks for the response man! We both feel really good about it and I think he got about a 280 also! But we're both sister service so no record or history of PT... But otherwise a very strong packet. Like you said, staying positive.

Again, congrats to EVERYONE. I hope to see you all in the near future :)

Hey, thanks for the response man! We both feel really good about it and I think he got about a 280 also! But we're both sister service so no record or history of PT... But otherwise a very strong packet. Like you said, staying positive.

Again, congrats to EVERYONE. I hope to see you all in the near future :)

No problem brother! Keep us posted! There was barely any information on here about age waivers so maybe we can help future "crusty old" hopefuls!

Congrats to everyone selected!

Thanks Logan,

just responded to your "

prior service records" post. Good luck with that man. Hope to see you on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...

I was selected on this board as a civilian, but I don't ship out till November. Does anyone know the likely hood of getting a sucessful renegotiation to go earlier?

It's all based on when they can slot you for the 7 week course, which the next available one is in January... you finish basic and head straight to WOCS. This happened to a couple of folks on here recently

• Like 1

I was selected on this board as a civilian, but I don't ship out till November. Does anyone know the likely hood of getting a sucessful renegotiation to go earlier?

Yeah that would be great if that was possible... but unfortunately that's not gonna happen. As wheelsup mention, the next 7 week class in not until January. Depending on when you ship in November, you might not even get slated for that class since you'll have HBL to deal with also. It's gonna be cutting it close I imagine.