September 2017 WOFT Board

Thank you! Yeah I almost cried. It's been my dream for 7 years to be an army aviator. It feels good to finally be able to make that a reality. Every duty position I've had up until now I've taken it as an opportunity to set myself up for this position with good ncoers etc. I can say to anyone who doesn't get selected first go around to NOT lose hope and become bitter. Just need to take it as another year to set yourself up for selection.

Just remember, the grass is always greener when you're not there. Army aviation is most likely not the life you imagine, but at least you'll get paid more for your time.

Just remember, the grass is always greener when you're not there. Army aviation is most likely not the life you imagine, but at least you'll get paid more for your time.

That seems to be the common opinion around here lately. Ive been around Army Aviation for the past 11 years and all crappy parts of being a pilot people have been talking about like EO, SHARP, and 350-1 training guys like me and Loufy have to do that as well. But what we dont get to do when its done is jump into a cockpit and lift the wheels off the ground. And yes the pay jump is a nice perk too. Even though Im not quite an aviator yet, its hard for me to believe the grass isnt greener.
  • Like 1

That seems to be the common opinion around here lately. Ive been around Army Aviation for the past 11 years and all crappy parts of being a pilot people have been talking about like EO, SHARP, and 350-1 training guys like me and Loufy have to do that as well. But what we dont get to do when its done is jump into a cockpit and lift the wheels off the ground. And yes the pay jump is a nice perk too. Even though Im not quite an aviator yet, its hard for me to believe the grass isnt greener.

True, but the ten hours you fly each month are quickly outweighed by the rest of the 200hrs you spend at work that month not flying. On average you'll spend maybe 25% of your time with anything aviation related.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing it but you should know what you're getting into.

True, but the ten hours you fly each month are quickly outweighed by the rest of the 200hrs you spend at work that month not flying. On average you'll spend maybe 25% of your time with anything aviation related.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing it but you should know what you're getting into.

I do understand exactly where you are coming from, just for guys like Loufy and myself our next step is to take an office job upstairs off the hangar floor. For me dealing with the stupid Army takings were going to be a part of my next 10ish years regardless, if I can also fill that with some time in a cockpit, I will take that any day. With my background I am going to try my best to track maintenance and stay busy doing what I do best, fixing broke stuff.
  • Like 2

Yes. Just realize the commitment comes with a 7-8 year ADSO (when you include flight school). Not trying to discourage but while the job is probably way better than your current situation, you are making that decision to stay for quite a long time. If there was no ADSO there wouldnt be quite as much negativity. Not arguing against an ADSO, but trying to help you understand how the grass might be greener for a couple years, but 5-7 years later? Eh.

Ever wonder why the majority of posters on here stop posting after flight school?

• Like 1

Yes. Just realize the commitment comes with a 7-8 year ADSO (when you include flight school). Not trying to discourage but while the job is probably way better than your current situation, you are making that decision to stay for quite a long time. If there was no ADSO there wouldnt be quite as much negativity. Not arguing against an ADSO, but trying to help you understand how the grass might be greener for a couple years, but 5-7 years later? Eh.

Ever wonder why the majority of posters on here stop posting after flight school?

Yes 5-7 years can be a long time to commit to the Army when you didnt have a clear picture of what your career was going to look like from the outside. My point was more that while being an Army aviator may not be all guns and glory, for some us that have been around a while, it is a big step up from babysitting Joes. The ADSO can be a hard pill to swallow, but Im indef already anyway haha.

Yeah im already almost 8 years deep in Army aviation. I've seen how my community treats enlisted vs warrants and I'm not worried. I had already decided to do 20 years enlisted so the ADSO is a non issue for me. The Army is about the easiest job you could have. I'm brainwashed and would prob do 40 years if they let me 😂🤣

I do understand exactly where you are coming from, just for guys like Loufy and myself our next step is to take an office job upstairs off the hangar floor. For me dealing with the stupid Army takings were going to be a part of my next 10ish years regardless, if I can also fill that with some time in a cockpit, I will take that any day. With my background I am going to try my best to track maintenance and stay busy doing what I do best, fixing broke stuff.

I 100% agree with you. Track maintenance if at all possible. MTP is rarely a supply wogj lol. Hey what did you work on prior to applying I can't remember. I've noticed the street to seaters are usually the ones who complain the most when they have to do tasks outside of their "job description" as if it's beneath them. The prior NCOs are the ones who know it's better than being enlisted, but that could be just my experience and not the norm. There will always be some suck, it's the Army.

Do you not wonder, then, why Army Aviators are leaving for the airlines in droves? Including an incredible amount of prior enlisted guys? Look, Im not trying to rain on your parade. I truly do wish youre incredibly happy in your career as a Warrant, and I wouldnt trade my time in the Army for anything. But just because its better than your current situation doesnt mean its great.

Do you not wonder, then, why Army Aviators are leaving for the airlines in droves? Including an incredible amount of prior enlisted guys? Look, Im not trying to rain on your parade. I truly do wish youre incredibly happy in your career as a Warrant, and I wouldnt trade my time in the Army for anything. But just because its better than your current situation doesnt mean its great.

I can agree with this. It is most likely not sunshine and roses but to me it's better than what I've been doing for 7 years. I imagine after I'm a warrant pilot for a while my views of the Army will probably shift as have yours probably. It's kind of common sense the airlines are just far more appealing at the moment, less dangerous, way more money, less bs, more flying. I get why they're leaving, but when I hear pilots like "omg the airlines are offering so much money" I'm over here like "bruh if I had 500$ more a month I'd be straight" lol.
  • Like 3

I 100% agree with you. Track maintenance if at all possible. MTP is rarely a supply wogj lol.

Once you're tracked a lot of the additional duty BS goes away but you're still spending 2-3 years or more non-PC and untracked as the officer equivalent of a private.

It could be worse, but the Army could easily make it much better.

I just can't wait to start! Someone once told me, "the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It's green where you water it." Yeah I expect it to suck, yeah I expect to have some fun. But it's what I want to do and I will make the most of it. I never thought I'd ever have the chance to be an officer in the US Military. I sure as hell thought I would never have the chance to be an aviator either.

• Like 1

Once you're tracked a lot of the additional duty BS goes away but you're still spending 2-3 years or more non-PC and untracked as the officer equivalent of a private.

It could be worse, but the Army could easily make it much better.

What would be the best way to track maintenance? Show up and walk to th MTP and say "teach me your ways please?!"

I just can't wait to start! Someone once told me, "the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It's green where you water it." Yeah I expect it to suck, yeah I expect to have some fun. But it's what I want to do and I will make the most of it. I never thought I'd ever have the chance to be an officer in the US Military. I sure as hell thought I would never have the chance to be an aviator either.

Right? That's how I felt about being an officer. I always as a private viewed officers with such high regard. I have a long family line of enlisted and I will be the first one to be an officer in my family. That to me is insane. As well as an honor.
  • Like 1

Aviators are leaving for the airlines because they meet the prerequisites for these transition programs that are CURRENTLY available. Most of us in this forum have only 1 reasonable way to become an aviator, go warrant. But if I or anyone else for example, was at the end of their service obligation, we would certainly be tempted by the opportunity. With that said, I think we have to remember that every shortage is followed by an abundance; in 7-8 years when we'll be completing our obligation, I'd bet money they don't offer this sweet transition program because it's been flooded and the balances have been restored.

So if it's my dream to become an aviator, but being one in the army requires additional duties, then that's what I'm going to do. I have a hard time believing I'll have any sense of regret after BECOMING an aviator than NOT becoming one. The grass is certainly greener on the other side.

• Like 3

The military is never as cool as the commercials. I didn't fight dragons, though I did climb mountains (but was not nearly as badass looking as the guy in the commercial, and was way more tired at the end), did shoot rockets, machineguns, etc. I also got really good at cleaning, and better at pretending to clean.

I anticipate aviation in the military will not be "as cool as one could imagine," but you guys have reinforced my decision to go Guard -- mainly because it seems like the Guard pilots I know actually fly more than a lot of AD guys.

To those of you with no prior service experience, this is a good dose of honesty. There will be plenty of ah-hah moments when you think back to this thread, I'm sure. I'm also confident that at the end of it all, you won't regret having done it. Many a night being shaken awake in my tent at 3AM to go stand watch in a downpour of freezing rain I hated life. Looking back it's funny, and was a small price to pay. The same can be said for unit politics. I don't expect the aviation world to be much different, though hopefully with less being wet and cold all the time.

I think the anticipation of the attrs course reservation and the acceptance email is almost equal to that of the board results lmao. i just wanna know my class dates!!!!

Hopefully it won't be long. I was on assignment to Hawaii - July 10th, those orders have been cancelled already so that's a good sign.