FT Rucker Housing/Neighborhoods

Didn't find a topic on this so... I'll be PCSing to Rucker next month and was wondering what are other housing options besides On Post. I see a lot of available houses around enterprise and Daleville. I was considering on base because one of my kids will start school while there plus I don't know the area. Are those 2 good areas to live in? how is the commute to Rucker?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread... I personally hate living on base. My family and I enjoy the country setting. Any tips on the area I should be looking? Im willing to drive 20-30 mins to work for a good place. Also, rental agencies in the area? I have only found a couple online and Im sure there are more in a military town. Thanks!

I was thinking about reviving this one too. To ask if anyone knows what the wait is like for Bowden Terrance. I prefer to live off post but it's hard to argue with how easy it is to live on post. Don't have to worry about bills getting sent out, setting up any auto payments. I like that. Lol

If you want to live on post you can reserve a house before WOCS. While youre in processing, stop by one of the housing offices and theyll take down your name and expected graduation date along with the housing application. I think I waited two or three days after WOCS before I was moving in.

Also, if you live 20-30 minutes away from Rucker youll be commuting a hour a day. That doesnt sound bad for a normal schedule. However, time is one of the most valuable things you have while youre in Primary.

When academics let out at 10 and you need to catch the bus on post at 11, you hardly have time to run home and eat lunch. When you dont get back to your car until 1730 or 1800, you still have to drive another 30 minutes until you even get home.

Most if not all of the on post housing is 5 minutes away from classes and the bus to the flight line. This means that you can stay with your family longer, get studying done sooner, hell, even have lunch at home with your spouse.

Just some food for thought.

I live on post. During primary I went home for lunch, worked out at the main gym, was home for dinner and had plenty of time to study. Leaving my house at 430-440 to catch the morning flightline bus was definitely nice.

It all comes down to preference. I just feel like my life was that much easier with less driving.

If you want to live on post you can reserve a house before WOCS. While youre in processing, stop by one of the housing offices and theyll take down your name and expected graduation date along with the housing application. I think I waited two or three days after WOCS before I was moving in.

Single? If not where did your family stay? It was my understanding flight school pcs families as well during wocs?

Still a ways away (if I'm lucky and get selected), but I'm looking at BAH Waiver (guard) and wondering how the costs add up. I am looking for the easiest route possible, so presumably on post. My wife and I own a home we won't be selling so we'll need to cover the mortgage while I'm away, and while she probably won't come down initially, she may meet up with me at some point.

Is there a figure one can put on on base housing vs rent? I figure the convenience is probably worth a couple hundred a month.

Mike

• Like 1

Single? If not where did your family stay? It was my understanding flight school pcs families as well during wocs?

I am married. My wife didnt move down right away. I was able to get a house in the family neighborhood after WOCS. I know several people who moved their families here before WOCS. Im not sure how the process was.

I moved into Bowden about a few weeks ago with my family and I was very happy with that decision. This is the first time I have lived on post and normally like separating my home life from work but thought the convience of living on post for flight school would be better for me and my family. The housing is pretty nice and I am close to just about everything on base. If you have specific questions about moving in and such just let me know.

• Like 3

Still a ways away (if I'm lucky and get selected), but I'm looking at BAH Waiver (guard) and wondering how the costs add up. I am looking for the easiest route possible, so presumably on post. My wife and I own a home we won't be selling so we'll need to cover the mortgage while I'm away, and while she probably won't come down initially, she may meet up with me at some point.

Is there a figure one can put on on base housing vs rent? I figure the convenience is probably worth a couple hundred a month.

Mike

Instead of living in Bowden Terrace and using your full BAH, you can request flat rate housing. I paid 875 for a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath in Allen Heights. If you have a buddy you wouldn't mind living with, you can also get a 3/2 in Allen heights and then split the cost.

• Like 1

I moved into Bowden about a few weeks ago with my family and I was very happy with that decision. This is the first time I have lived on post and normally like separating my home life from work but thought the convience of living on post for flight school would be better for me and my family. The housing is pretty nice and I am close to just about everything on base. If you have specific questions about moving in and such just let me know.

How long was the wait for you? This is the neighborhood we are interested in as well, but I'm not sure how long we should expect for an opening.