I'm currently an E-3 with about 19 months TIS. I have my Bachelor's degree in Health Studies (3.1) and plan on dropping a WOFT packet within the next few months. With my situation I have already taken and passed the SIFT with a 67 as I was interested in the Street to Seat program before enlisting but was pushed towards enlisting by my recruiters. I feel like I can make a decent enough packet to get a go but I really want some advice from people that have gone through the process. My Gt score is a 124 and my last PFT was a 286. I'm Air Assault qualified and I'm attending Pathfinder school in Feb. with my LT. Not sure if schools like these are even taken into consideration or not? I also have a TS/SCI clearance which I'm hoping will help out a little bit. My only major concern is that I don't really have the connections that some people on here seem to have. I know very good leaders that I look up to very much but none with the aviation experience. I've sent emails out to POC given on the WOFT recruiting page for my location but have not heard back yet most likely due to it being block leave for the majority. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is a life goal that I feel is in reach and I don't want to miss out on this opportunity.

Thank You.

This will not help much but if you're under 32, based on your stats, it's almost a slam dunk if your Cmdr approves providing you can pass the flight physical. Persistence is the key in being selected and becoming an Army aviator. No flight experience required at all. Happy New Year future aviator.

• Like 1

Privates get selected on boards all the time. I had a few buddies get selected as PFCs as well. You seem motivated, and your basic statistics sound pretty strong. I would make sure that your senior Warrant Officer Letter of Recommendation conveys that.

I will say this- I think your inexperience (meaning no disrespect) is what the Army is starting to lean towards. The target audience for the Aviation Bonus Program was street to seat guys and low-time former enlisted- meaning theyre trying to retain low AFS aviators.

I wouldnt go so far as to say its a guarantee just because your Commander signs it, which is a requirement anyway for the packet. However, the Army needs Aviation Warrants right now, so if you can get a Senior Aviation Warrant to endorse you in a LoR, Id say you probably have a strong chance. Good luck!

• Like 1

Rlfostee83,

There is no reason you cant build a competitive packet and be accepted. I started my first packet as a very junior SPC and the only thing that stopped me was my CO CMD refused to sign my LOR(said he couldnt loose any more high performers as he was a terrible CMD and we were all trying to leave) write your own LOR for company and battalion commanders and send them up to see what happens. I assume your combat arms so fight on to the objective and finish your packet.

• Like 1

Rlfostee83,

There is no reason you cant build a competitive packet and be accepted. I started my first packet as a very junior SPC and the only thing that stopped me was my CO CMD refused to sign my LOR(said he couldnt loose any more high performers as he was a terrible CMD and we were all trying to leave) write your own LOR for company and battalion commanders and send them up to see what happens. I assume your combat arms so fight on to the objective and finish your packet.

I've met with my Company Commander and I know for sure that he supports me and is willing to push my packet up.

Knock them out. As far any senior warrant LOR needed, wait on hearing back from the WOFT Recruiting until about 7/8 Jan, then pester them (you're right--holiday backup/schedule). If nothing heard and you need to go knocking on a Battalion Stands, Safety, or TACOPS door, hit the forum back here and guidance will be provided (if not a specific POC as people know people).

As for Pathfinder (did it in 2012), part of it is luck (sling load gig inspections...just like that Air Assault phase took a bit of luck). Rest is no joke "I just don't want to fail out of this course" studying. Most "fun" 18 days of pacing back and forth in a Q memorizing stuff that I ever did in the Army. ;)

Edited by METT-TC
  • Like 1

Knock them out. As far any senior warrant LOR needed, wait on hearing back from the WOFT Recruiting until about 7/8 Jan, then pester them (you're right--holiday backup/schedule). If nothing heard and you need to go knocking on a Battalion Stands, Safety, or TACOPS door, hit the forum back here and guidance will be provided (if not a specific POC as people know people).

As for Pathfinder (did it in 2012), part of it is luck (sling load gig inspections...just like that Air Assault phase took a bit of luck). Rest is no joke "I just don't want to fail out of this course" studying. Most "fun" 18 days of pacing back and forth in a Q memorizing stuff that I ever did in the Army. ;)

Well my wife decided today to tell me that her cousin is a CW5 Blackhawk pilot so hopefully I can get in touch with him. I'm excited for pathfinder but not as nearly excited as I am to put in this flight packet.. hopefully I can clear my head for a few weeks and just knock out pathfinder.

• Like 1