Attention: Old pilots, current pilots and ESPECIALLY new pilots. Something you might want to know about...

Damn, we haven't had a thread go this long in quite a while!

Just out of curiosity, anyone ever fly a helicopter where the gauges were lit up with red lights?

Yeah, why? NVGs made all that idiocy obsolete. I carry variable brightness pocket flashlights with 0.1 lumen modes for cockpit stuff, like this one:

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-archer-1a-v3/

Oh don't be such a debbie downer bud. This job is great. I just love working long contracts, for mediocre pay, so that I can barely support my household, or tend to my personal relationships.

But we sure look good doing it.

No life, no wife, no pay, no problems.

In all seriousness, remember a work/life balance is important comrades. Take care of your health, and make time for the things that bring you happiness.

Keep your stick on the ice!

Actually the evidence I have is that helicopter operators make small margins and DO NOT make a lot of money as you claim. It's easy to be hard on operators but once you see how competitive the industry is you will realize that they have very little room. The market dictates everything unfortunately. The only exception is air medical, they make enormous profits, around 16% net profit, air methods made so much profit that private equity bought them up recently. They have been able to make so much profit because they acquired all their competitors. EMS has become a monopoly, air methods has almost have the entire EMS market. Although regulators may break them up but it's unlikely, most other non EMS operators make small margins and have significant competition. Go ahead and bash the EMS operators, that's justified, but don't bash the small operator that's doing utility or charter, he doesn't have it easy.

OP. I hear everything you are saying and to some extent I don't disagree. I have to ask though, did you not know all of this before getting into this industry? If you did know, why are you complaining? If you didn't know, you should have done your homework bud. Maybe I'm the exception, but I have a job flying helicopters that I absolutely love. I am treated well, and make a comfortable living. All my hard work has paid in spades, and I couldn't consider myself more fortunate.

This place sure paints a grim picture of any potential future. I am a current student, and have been on here quite a bit researching through all of your insights. The only issue i have with this industry is the starting wages, i have a family, and starting out, i am not really sure that ill be able to support them, and manage my debt for school. I know i have to pay my dues, and I dont need to make tons of money, i just want a job that i can reflect on at the end of the day and be happy about and proud to have done it. Does anyone know if its possible to maintain two jobs while being an instructor? im sure its not the best idea to work two jobs and run yourself down, while trying to be fresh everyday to teach people not to kill you. I have no doubts of my abilities to make it being a pilot, but at the price of dragging my family out to the street to live while i build a career is terrifying! I typically take online opinions with a grain of salt, due to it mostly being complaints, however here seems to be almost only doom. Is there any light to gravitate towards, or do you just get to work with a bunch of bitter people everyday?? Advice and opinions welcome! Thank you Mr. Trump for your efforts at making a change.

DBCOOP,

Yes, it’s possible to have 2 jobs (or more) while instructing.

Life is about choices. This statement is especially true for the helicopter business. Most importantly, at the end of a helicopter career, you only have yourself to blame for the choices you made along the way. Good, bad or otherwise. Be informed and research to no end. Additionally, don’t get too wrapped up with the nonsense you’ll read on the internet.

I’d gravitate toward jobs where their respective website ends with “.gov”. These jobs tend to be stable with decent pay and benefits.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me.

I remember thinking to myself how negative this forum was when I was going through all my training. There is a difference between telling someone a hard truth and being negative. I'd say this forum is quite a bit of both. The key to this industry is having a great attitude/ work ethic, and be willing to sacrifice time, money, sleep, hobbies, you name it.

COOP, it is possible to have a second job as a CFI. Not easy, but possible. You never want to tell a student you can't meet them because you have to flip burgers at Wendy's, and most jobs worth having want you there full time. You have to work hard at finding a job that can accomodate the stepping stones to your dream career. I picked up a lot of hours from other CFIs that had a shift at their second job. Some of our guys worked night jobs, I worked for the FBO.

• Like 2