SWO Needs Help...

Guys,

I'm helping out an Air Guard Airman with his WOC application. He's going through a local recruiter, and after reviewing all his documents they reflect he's applying as an in-service applicant.

However, MEPS is making his take an entrance physical even though he's already an E-5 and completed his flight physical. It almost sounds like the recruiter is half way making him complete some potions of a civilian application process.

Any comparable experiences out there before I call the recruiter tomorrow?

Mike-

It was my understanding that all service transfers come through as civilian applicants and anybody coming from navy, Air Force, and coast guard will need to go through BCT prior to coming to WOCS. A good friend of mine came in that way along with a couple other buddies who came in as walking warrants for MI. They came from being E7 Air Force and still had to go through BCT. This was just before they set up the branch transfer specific BCT last year.

Im sure some others with more first hand knowledge will have some input on this.

So I did my applicant when I was a member of the Army National Guard.

My entire process was done as though I was a civilian applicant. I did a board appearance with the recruiting battalion command team. My packet had all the requirements of a full blown street-to-seat applicant. I had to revisit MEPS for an initial-entry physical, as well as ship from MEPS as though I was headed to IET.

I did things as close as possible to what an in-service applicant would do. Used military forms for my resume, got LORs from my company and battalion commander, etc... But in reality I was being treated like a civilian.

Sounds like this guy is in the same boat.

• Like 1

If the air force cat was either spec ops/jtac/pj or security forces they could get through without basic a couple years back, but im sure alot has changed. Should still compete in the civilian board which is a leg up. FWIW expect MEPS not to make any distinction despite the flight physical being complete. They will still put thier stamp on his file as if none of the other stuff matters. The civlian side of meps and the recruiters of the services operate under different oversight to prevent conflicts of interest. MEPS catches those glaring errors like..."wait, this dude only has one arm and is blind, but his recruiter swears hes fit for service... lets put him in the maybe file. This is the same organization that when I applied they told me I was unfit for service due to some rare skin disease that they fat fingered into my file, despite 10 years in and at the time still drilling. It was really hard not to scream through the phone as my recruiter went in circles of logic with them. "He doesnt have this disease, we just need to come in and prove it" the response was " He cant come in, it says he has this disease" Had to request a waiver just to get in the door for them to update my file saying i was evaluated and it was a mistake.

I'm an interservice transfer from the Active Reserve side of the Marines and my recruiter was able to get a physical waiver for MEPS. I am also going straight to WOCS.

I know on the acceptance paperwork it says a MEPS physical isn't required for Aviation candidates. So the recruiter sounds like he just doesn't care about doing his job.

• Like 1

Mr Stearmann,

I am currently assigned to USAREC. It depends on how they are applying. If they applied on their own through the website and received transfer instructions then they will not need a physical (UR 601-210, F-8b(4). However, if they are going to a local recruiter to apply through them, then they will apply the same as a street to seat applicant except with a DD 368. Since he is Air Guard then he will take a full physical. If he was coming from an Army component, then he would not need one. I hope this clarifies everything. If you need any more assistance, please PM me.

Thanks,

Anthony

• Like 2