Schools Available to Rated Warrants/Tracking Options

Hello All,

I was wondering if any Pilots on here could give a little insight as to what schools are open to pilots throughout their careers?

For example, will Pilots attached to the 82nd or 101st get the opportunity to attend Jump school?

Any other schools?

Also, what exactly does a "tracked" aviator mean? I've seen things mentioning TACOPS, IP, etc. but what do those things really mean for your career.

Thanks everyone!

As a warrant officer you will choose (usually) what track you want to take for your career. Either instructor pilot, maintenance test pilot, safety officer or tacops/amso. Basically means you are specialized in that area of work. Instructors conduct evals and progressions, MTPs manage maintenance and conduct test flights after maintenance work is performed, safety establishes/manages safety programs and attempts to keep people in line with various safety regulations, and tacops is responsible for evaluation and implementation of TTPs to increase survivability. Lots of other duties and aspects of each job but that’s it in a nutshell.

• Like 1

Any insight on WOs going to air assault or airborne or ranger school? Or any other schools like that?

I haven’t been in a 82nd/101st but where I’ve been you’re unlikely to get any of those schools approved. The units have budgets for schooling and those three choices in particular do nothing for a rated aviator. Schools are generally track (IE or ME for example) or professional education oriented (WOAC, ILE). Other options come up but are usually focused on aviation subjects related to your track or for additional duties you’re assigned before you make PC or track.

• Like 1

FWIW my Guard unit said I probably would have no issue getting Air Assault or Pathfinder if I really wanted it at some point. Airborne seems to be harder to get given logistics and limited slots. How this bears out remains to be seen.

Also, is it common in the AD world for people to go to multiple career schools? I have a friend in the Guard who was TACOPS, just did IP, and now they wan to send to MTP I guess.

Mike

• Like 1

Also, is it common in the AD world for people to go to multiple career schools? I have a friend in the Guard who was TACOPS, just did IP, and now they wan to send to MTP I guess.

Mike

It’s pretty common in the Guard from what I’ve seen and friends have told me. On the active side you usually won’t see a dual tracked IP/MTP, but safety/tacops or one of those along with IP or MTP isn’t unheard of.

• Like 2

On the AD special schools, assigned to Bragg (82d), relatively easy to get a jump school slot if you put in for it. (A lot don't :D ). Same thing (actually easier as the school is right there) for Campbell (101st) and air assault. Campbell also has more availability of Pathfinder (has one of the two Pathfinder schools) than other Divisions. Air Assault is generally easier to get across the Army than the others because of MTTs (Mobile Training Teams that come from the school houses to the post/division). Special note: Pathfinder (I did Benning's) was easily the hardest/just don't fail academic school I've ever done. The amount of crap I had to cram into my nogg'n vs the IE course was stupid. They protect that badge hard.

SOAR and the guys/gals at the Benning Aviation Trans Company have more slots or chances than everyone else (Trans because they are local/can easily show up as a standby, SOAR because, well, it is SOAR). We have a SOAR aviator or two on here--he can correct me if that has changed for his org.

Ranger School--there are tokens every blue moon enroute to next station post Rucker, but they are the rare nugget (+/-s need to be considered concerning injury/medical). I have not personally seen a warrant attempt Ranger-2/1LTs are the focus. No doubt some warrants have done it (as a warrant), but you'll be rarified.

• Like 1

In the guard there are all sorts of opportunities. I have attended the following courses:

UH-60A/L Aircraft Qualification (EAATS)

UH-60M Aircraft Qualification (Ft. Rucker)

UH-60A/L Maintenance Test Pilot Course (Ft. Rucker)

UH-60M Maintenance Test Pilot Course (Ft. Rucker)

UH-60A/L Instructor Pilot Course (WAATS)

RW Instrument Flight Evaluator (Ft. Rucker)

HAATS Power Management (HAATS)

H-60A/L/M IP/IE/SP/MTP/ME

Don't forget the most awesome part of being an IP/SP...managing records.

Has anyone on here been to, or know any Army Flight Warrants that actually got into the US Naval Test Pilot School?

Look up milper 18-004. The XPs (Army test pilots) just did a briefing at B Co this week.

Has anyone on here been to, or know any Army Flight Warrants that actually got into the US Naval Test Pilot School?

Know one in it right now. Also served with another that went through (didn't make it).

• 4 months later...

Any insight on WOs going to air assault or airborne or ranger school? Or any other schools like that?

In the 82nd, 25th ID, 10th MTN and 101st (to name a few examples), the Division CSM will normally put out that any Soldier is allowed to attend pre-Ranger/Ranger School if they meet the pre-requisites. With that said, I highly doubt your CoC would be supportive of a WO attending RS due to the time commitment and the high probability of injury.

Might be an interesting time to be in those fields with FVL maybe going somewhere and Iraq/Afghanistan not being what they were a decade ago. Not to side-track the thread too much, but I've started reading "The Dream Machine" which follows the V-22 from dream to fielding. About half of the book is "how the sausage is made" in DOD acquisitions and manufacturer sales and marketing to the DOD. Very good read.

I'm assuming there is virtually no reason they'd send guard aviators the XP route?

Mike