Bell L3 Ground Training

fleman202

Hey guys,

I am going to be transitioning into the L3 in the next couple of months and am curious if anyone knows of any online resources that I could use to start building up my general knowledge of the aircraft.

I am headed to Bell school in the middle of October and would prefer not to like an idiot when class starts!

Any suggestions of resources would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

I dont have any L model .pdfs to fwd, but FWIW, when I did Eurocopter and Bell factory courses, all materials were provided on-site and in advance when I asked. I guarantee you wont look like an idiot for asking questions or asking for more detailed explanations in order to understand. Im not the most technically inclined person and I always asked for more assistance. I guarantee the questions you ask, you wont be the first person to ask them! Factory courses are a lot of work but I have always enjoyed them. Good luck!

• Like 1

If you can get some of the manuals in advance they will be worth it.

I studied the Flight Safety manuals on the S-76 for a few weeks before going to West Palm for the course, and I was surprised that I knew more about the aircraft than some pilots who were there for their 4th or 5th time and flying the machine full-time.

And the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask...

Edited by Eric Hunt

Just show up and enjoy the training. The ground school at Bell offers great power points with moving graphics to help explain and understand the aircraft systems (fuel burn for example). Plus you will get to go out into the maintenance hangar and see the aircraft components throughout the week.

Most importantly, make the 30 minute drive to Roanoke for dinner at least one night you are there. It will be well worth the effort. Enjoy!

If you can get some of the manuals in advance they will be worth it.

I studied the Flight Safety manuals on the S-76 for a few weeks before going to West Palm for the course, and I was surprised that I knew more about the aircraft than some pilots who were there for their 4th or 5th time and flying the machine full-time.

And the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask...

That reminds me of a game we (Vietnam era Army aviators) used to play- discover an obscure part, system or airframe function and challenge each other. Did it add to overall knowledge? Definitely. But I'll ask Huey drivers of old- on the right forward engine mount, at the deck, there's a small metal tab: what is it's function?

For you Astar drivers- how many 'Richard cables' and what controls do they operate?

Don't cheat, answer below....

It keeps that mount in place when the engine is removed/installed.

Five "Richard cables' in the Astar. And yes, I've had that type or control linkage break, in a Jet Ranger. One failure in 48 years of flying.

You can't know too much about your airframe. But it's better to spend that study time learning the stuff that can 'do' you. Like tail rotor control failures in their infinite variations.

Edited by Wally

Just show up and enjoy the training. The ground school at Bell offers great power points with moving graphics to help explain and understand the aircraft systems (fuel burn for example). Plus you will get to go out into the maintenance hangar and see the aircraft components throughout the week.

Most importantly, make the 30 minute drive to Roanoke for dinner at least one night you are there. It will be well worth the effort. Enjoy!

When I do make the drive, where should I go? I love trying new places!

When I do make the drive, where should I go? I love trying new places!

It just depends what you are in the mood for that night?? It is all local food, no national or regional chain resturants!! Since you will be there for a week, you may want to go two nights. There is free parking at both ends of ‘the strip.’ Park the rental car, get out, walk around and enjoy the atmosphere.

If you want Texas BBQ, go to the Hard Eight. There is also a good Cajun/ Seafood place, but I can’t remember the name...

Enjoy!