About the C-12....

What are the odds of getting a C-12 slot at Rucker? How often do C-12 slots become available? Do we have any C-12 pilots on here? How's life as a fixed wing aviator in the Army compared to rotary wing? I've just been pondering things... I don't really hear much about the fixed wing side of things in the Army, as I know it's pretty limited, but I'd really like to know more!

As far as selection goes it is all a toss up. If you are in a 67 course you won’t be able to select fox wing. 1 in 4 of the classes are 67s. If you are in Lakota it seems that there are at most 1 or 2 slots per selection. But there may not be any and then once I saw 4. From what I have heard fix wing is a bit more relaxed than rotary wing and saw some pictures from a guy currently in the pipeline for C12s and he claimed it is a pretty nice life style. Their mission is more VIP transport. However I want 60s so ain’t haven’t paid as much attention to the C12 life.

• Like 1

From what Ive seen over the last two years or so on this forum Id say C-12s are on the selection list about every third time. It ranges on how many slots there are available. Typically 1-4.

Does anyone have any insight on what the C-12 course is like at Dothan?

No idea on the actual course load. Rumor has it they have a Wifi enabled charter that takes em from Rucker to Dothan. Then they have a cafeteria and gym available for free use while they are there. (But thats just what I've heard in the rumor mill)

The selections go 0-4 for the warrants . It depends on how it lines up with the C12 start dates. they only have one class a month that is usually 6 (sometimes 4). If your selection is right after a start date then you probably wont get any slots. If you are the next selection before the next class, usually the beginning of the month, or the selection after you is a 67 class you will probably get up to 4, and 2 to the LT's. I have seen that reversed where LT's got more but that was like once since I've been here. If you want one you need to be lucky and usually need to be in the top 3 at least although i have seen a couple classes where they go to the bottom. Those are usually in small selections with a lot of slots. Smaller selections are becoming rare.

As far as course load it is pretty easy academically. You have a lot to learn and it is a steep learning curve but they know that and the tests are a joke. There is no official 5 and 9 test. You will be responsible for 5 and 9 on your check-rides where all the weight is held. When you go fixed wing its like going through common core again as FW is completely different flying. You then are assigned an air frame when you get your orders. It is super chill. and you get to fly upside-down for like 3 days.

Unlike what the previous poster said the Army fixed wing mission is like 90% Military intelligence. You will go to Korea, Bliss, Hood, Savannah, or Germany out of flight school. (with one extremely rare exception that I can't believe happened.) There are other swoopdy jobs as you progress in your career and more cush but most you have to work towards.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I just started thinking about potential careers after the Army, if this WOFT thing works out of course, and I've always wanted to be an airline pilot. Figured maybe flying FW stuff around while I was in would help with that, but it's all just brainstorming at this point. Who knows what will happen when the time comes.

They have a group called RTAG now for rotary to airline group. Helping army help pilots switch over to the airlines. So even without fixed wing as long as you have 750 hours you can get your atp and they will train you up on the airplane from what I hear. They are reeeeeally hurting for pilots.

• Like 1

They have a group called RTAG now for rotary to airline group. Helping army help pilots switch over to the airlines. So even without fixed wing as long as you have 750 hours you can get your atp and they will train you up on the airplane from what I hear. They are reeeeeally hurting for pilots.

Oh wow! That sounds amazing. I'll need to keep that in mind if this all works out.

Just keep in mind you will have about eight years after starting WOCS before you can get out of the Army. A lot can change in that time with pilot demand and transition programs available.

That is very true. Just a lot going through my head with all this lol. Trying to think about the future as much as possible. Though maybe I'll like flying whirlybirds a whole lot and make a career out of the Army. Who knows!