Never gonna happen. We do not have an applicant shortage, we have a throughput shortage. I dont care how quallified the guy is, if I was sitting on that board, that last slot is going to the worst CE who has assembled a packet correctly and not given a reason to doubt his critical decision making process. Dont forget all of your sift scores, pt scores, and letters are just predictors of future success. Making poor decisions like that is not something that can be predicted. But take two guys, 1 who maybe an ok pilot and who has never made a jail level mistake and a perfect dude who has, and that guy who has made the mistake loses everytime. If there is one piece of information I could pass down to you all is that all of your hard work and scores are the bare minimum for entry and as soon as you step off the bus at Rucker it means nothing.

• Like 2

The assumption of the gravity of the situation on your part is really jumping to a conclusion without any facts or evidence. In regards to the board, they see the conviction, the end--understandable. The reality of the situation was that he never actually drove but was parked with the keys in the ignition and the heat running because he didn't want to drive. Bad decision? Yes. "Jail level mistake"? No. He didn't do any property damage, didn't endanger anyone's life but, felt compelled to own up to his mistake no matter the repercussions because that seemed like the "right thing to do". Personally I think that's ridiculous and he should have gotten an attorney to demolish the cops but that speaks volumes about his character. On an aviation related note, he also saved the lives of his passengers when his companies Cessna 172 engine failed when he used to fly tourists around. Made it back to runway while at a fairly low altitude and without a 180 degree turn at the end of the runway (a no-no in training) they would have been toast. Critical decision-making is up there with the best. I'm not defending him but I believe the "whole candidate" profile should be accounted for. In saying that, I came here for accurate insider information for my cousin and that is exactly what I'm getting so I appreciate your input. He was there for me during rough times so coming on to this Vertical Reference forum to help him out is the least I could do.

I think he is going to throw the WOFT package on the backburner and attempt to enlist in the NG with a waiver. Service is his main priority as he has a clearer path back into the cockpit as a civilian. Your information helped him make that decision so thank you very much.

Wishing you all the best.

• Like 2

I slept in my car once and made sure to sleep in the passenger seat and to put my keys in the tail pipe because I was so scared to get a DUI. Froze my ass off too but not a chance I was going to start the car and risk going to jail. What a stupid law.

The scary thing is the wrong cop could still make your life a living hell. I had a lab partner in undergrad arrested for an open container violation because the cops were breaking up a bunch of parties and "assigned" a beer can on the ground to him and wrapped him up. He hadn't even been drinking that night. Fortunately he fought it, but it's not uncommon to hear about people pleaing to stuff thinking nothing of it just to make it go away.

• Like 1

The assumption of the gravity of the situation on your part is really jumping to a conclusion without any facts or evidence. In regards to the board, they see the conviction, the end--understandable. The reality of the situation was that he never actually drove but was parked with the keys in the ignition and the heat running because he didn't want to drive. Bad decision? Yes. "Jail level mistake"? No. He didn't do any property damage, didn't endanger anyone's life but, felt compelled to own up to his mistake no matter the repercussions because that seemed like the "right thing to do". Personally I think that's ridiculous and he should have gotten an attorney to demolish the cops but that speaks volumes about his character. On an aviation related note, he also saved the lives of his passengers when his companies Cessna 172 engine failed when he used to fly tourists around. Made it back to runway while at a fairly low altitude and without a 180 degree turn at the end of the runway (a no-no in training) they would have been toast. Critical decision-making is up there with the best. I'm not defending him but I believe the "whole candidate" profile should be accounted for. In saying that, I came here for accurate insider information for my cousin and that is exactly what I'm getting so I appreciate your input. He was there for me during rough times so coming on to this Vertical Reference forum to help him out is the least I could do.

I think he is going to throw the WOFT package on the backburner and attempt to enlist in the NG with a waiver. Service is his main priority as he has a clearer path back into the cockpit as a civilian. Your information helped him make that decision so thank you very much.

Wishing you all the best.

The gravity of the situation really makes no difference in this case as far as the army is concerned. The reality is the board is going to spend about as long as it takes to read this post and yours to decide on his whole packet, and the second they see DUI its going in the no pile. There is no box to check on the board for "really bad dui and just kind of a dui". We just discharged a pilot who popped hot for marijuana, something that is legal in many states but not federally, who smoked on pcs leave after graduating flight school. Didnt hurt a soul and he was months from touching a helicopter. All that matters is you couldnt follow the rules, the training and money spent or any ammount of character witness testimony will not change the way the Army sees it unless we are fighting WWIII. So to take a chance on someone who has has been documented making one of the most socially irresponsible decisions possible is a hard sell. Should he apply? Sure, and if he cant do WOFT it doesnt mean he cant have a great career in another field if he is granted a waiver, but this forum often paints a too positive picture of peoples chances in situations like that.

• Like 2