Approved Helmet list for DOI and Forestry

Time Hater

I have looked and came across the Interagency Aviation Accident Prevention Bulletin No. IA APB 13-02 Dated April 30, 2013. This Bulletin states approved helments for DOI, forestry, and other govt agency contracts.

Most of the helmets are the current military helmets in current use by the services. It also states a few other helmets. The purchase of a helmets is an expensive one and so as to not make a monumental mistake, I would like to know is there is a updated list..

I have heard there was some updated segments of the personal protection standards for flight crews, but cannot find a list except for the current military helmets in use. Are there other options? If so where is it written officially?

I lean toward the MSA Gallet LH250 and it is on the older bulletin but being that its dated 5 years ago and rumors of a changing standard just a bit apprehensive.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

ALSE Handbook/Guide Ver 2.8

November 25, 2017

Chapter 2. Personal Protective Equipment page 9

https://www.iat.gov/Training/Attachments/Uploads/Interagency%20ALSE%20Handbook%20v2.8.pdf

Furthermore a document released Oct 2018 regarding non military helmets. Note there is no list of helmets here but an acknowledgment that they are accepting additional helmets to their very short list. And a link to the chart of accepted helmets, but none have been filled in yet.

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/uploads/doi_usfs_aviation_helmet_standard_rev_2.0.pdf

I know a few people who currently wear Gallets but I do not know the model numbers. I know this doesn't completely answer your question but I hope it helps in your research.

I This Bulletin states approved helments for DOI, forestry, and other govt agency contracts.

Most of the helmets are the current military helmets in current use by the services. It also states a few other helmets. The purchase of a helmets is an expensive one and so as to not make a monumental mistake, I would like to know is there is a updated list..

I lean toward the MSA Gallet LH250 and it is on the older bulletin but being that its dated 5 years ago and rumors of a changing standard just a bit apprehensive.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

You’re good to go with the LH250. That model is listed on the current draft for the upcoming National Call When Needed (CWN) contract for Type I and II helicopters. That being the case, its approved for USFS and DOI usage. I also use the LH250 model.

C-19 PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

(a) General Operations

The following personal protective equipment shall be furnished by the Contractor, be operable and maintained in serviceable condition as per appropriate manufacturer’s specifications.

( b ) Helmets

(1) Contractor personnel shall wear a flight helmet consisting of a one-piece hard shell made of polycarbonate, Kevlar, carbon fiber, or fiberglass that must cover the top, sides (including the temple area and to below the ears), and the rear of the head. The helmet shall be equipped with a chinstrap and shall be appropriately adjusted for proper fit. The helmet shall be worn with the chinstrap fastened.

(2) Flight helmets currently approved for helicopters are the: SPH-5, HGU-84P, SPH-4B, the HGU-56P manufactured by Gentex, the Alpha 200, Alpha 400 and Alpha Eagle (900) manufactured by Interactive Safety Products and the MSA Gallet LH050 (single inner visor), LH150 (single outer visor) and the LH250 (dual visor-one inner and one outer).

Ref. page 53

National Call When Needed (CWN) Type I and II Helicopter Specifications

Edited by iChris

• 1 month later...

I broke down year before last and got an Alpha Eagle, and couldn't be happier with it. All USFS/DOI work with the helmet, no issues. Comfortable, good avionics. I used the PACE in ear system with the helmet, really liked it. The previous helmet had been going for sixteen or seventeen years, and it was time to get a new one.

I used Pro Flight Gear out of Marana, AZ. I'd use them again.

http://www.proflightgear.com