Rucker Housing After WOCS

Thanks. Yeah I checked into the housing and everything. I am mainly wondering how it works for Single Soldiers.

From what I can tell, it seems both WO & 2nd Lts. have been rooming up and splitting BAH. I was curious if that was more of a word of mouth type thing or if the military will assist in pairing people up.

Also, if you room with another Soldier in On-post housing, you both split the BAH right?

Hello,

Is there some type of pairing system that lets you split BAH and room with another WO while going through Flight school?

Yes, you can share a house on base and you split the rent and keep the extra BAH, or as stated above you can find your own housing off base and split that rent as well. Best bet is to check with others going through WOCS to see if you can find a roommate. I believe the on base housing may have some resources for roommates as well.

The on post housing that all my buddies received is on the lower end. And it eats up all your BAH if you have no roommate.

I have a beautiful home right outside the enterprise gate. It eats up all my BAH, but if I had roommates instead of a wife Id be pocketing a couple hundred bucks a months.

Thanks for this insight.

For the members that are, or have been through Rucker recently, do you recommend buying a place or renting?

I looked up the on post housing on Rucker and it looks rather shabby, even by Army standards... There are some good options outside of Rucker according to Zillow, But I just don't know what is the best course for a Single Soldier..

Still thinking of buying, but may rent month-to-month while we look for a place. Not sure I want to buy before dealing with WOCS.

How many of the rentals have fully fenced in yards?

Mike

Still thinking of buying, but may rent month-to-month while we look for a place. Not sure I want to buy before dealing with WOCS.

How many of the rentals have fully fenced in yards?

Mike

Quite a bit. That was a huge factor for me.

Look up 178 Dale Avenue. Thats a house I noticed for rent and its a great example of a house on the upper end of BAH but great location and large fenced in yard.

I've got a buddy that is looking for somebody to rent out a room in his house. He's a cool dude and the house is nice, with a pool and hot tub. I think he is renting it for around $500. Let me know if you want me to link you up with him.

I'd take him up on that, but I'm still a hot minute away from PCS.

They're messing with me on it because my wife can't move because her MOS doesn't exist on Rucker, so I'm coming in as a "single" E5 with at least two rooms full of stuff... that 100% won't fit into the barracks. I'm going to just eat the cost the first two months since Corvias won't work with me and live off post.

• 2 months later...

Anyone here that can comment on cons of living off post? I've always lived off post (coming from the O side of the house). But my warrant officer recruiter highly recommended living on post for flight school. Are the gates really that bad? What's your commute time each way typically? I currently live about 40 minutes from Fort Bragg, so anything less than 20 would seem amazing to me.

Or, alternatively, is the housing on post bad enough that it's kind of depressing?

Anyone here that can comment on cons of living off post? I've always lived off post (coming from the O side of the house). But my warrant officer recruiter highly recommended living on post for flight school. Are the gates really that bad? What's your commute time each way typically? I currently live about 40 minutes from Fort Bragg, so anything less than 20 would seem amazing to me.

Or, alternatively, is the housing on post bad enough that it's kind of depressing?

You can find many places off post that are about a 10-15 minute drive without much traffic.. The gate traffic however does get pretty bad. I lived on post and didn't regret it at all. When you get done with pt at 0700 and need to be back at 0830 or if you only have 45 mins to an hour for lunch, it's nice to be able to drive home in 5 minutes. Honestly I've never heard anyone off post complain about the drive so with all this nonsense said, it doesn't really matter. Live off post, drive a little longer, possibly pocket a couple bucks from bah, live on post, get home 10 minutes quicker and have to go through the gate every time you go anywhere. Find someone to live with (if you don't mind having a roommate) and save several hundred dollars.

Personally live off-post. I wouldn't say the gate traffic is terrible. I generally plan for an extra 15 minutes to be safe, on average it takes me 15 minutes to get from home to most places on base with the occasional added 5 minute delay on bad days. Very very rarely will you have only 1 lane open at the gate making a 15 minute delay. But very rarely. I would say that it can be a minor annoyance when you do have about an hour to and hour and a half between things. Not quite enough time to make it home without turning around to come straight back. But for primary I packed my lunch a lot of days and just studied in the classrooms and now in advanced we have like 3 hours for lunch during the front loaded academics.

On post is super convenient while on hold in B Co and having to go to PT and accountability formations. It also makes it easier to get together with friends and study if youre into that. The housing isnt bad, better than a lot of Army posts. I lived off post and would shower after PT at a friends house and crash there between classes, at lunch, etc to save time and gas driving home.

Living off post is easy and there is really no traffic to speak of. Rucker is a tiny post and getting on and off was never a problem for me in flight school or when back there TDY.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably live on post. It wouldve saved me about 30-40 minutes of driving but cost about $200 (difference between my rent/utilities and full BAH almost for on post)

• Like 1