Unique Landing Sites (Private Pilot Accessible)

RisePilot

I’d be interested in discovering some new unique landing spots that a private pilot can land a helicopter (Europe or US).

Here’s one which is the only rooftop landing in my logbook:

Fort Lauderdale Downtown Heliport, DT1 (photo below)

- rooftop landing pad on top of multi-story car park (115ft)

Please post other cool landing sites that you may know of.

post-60354-0-80756200-1546112521_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Google Earth/Google Maps is a great tool. I used them daily as an HEMS pilot, for lots of things, usually verifying coordinates of patient pick-up and receiving facilities, checking coordinates of proposed education/public relations locations. Google Earth is limited when it comes to topo information, but Google Maps is a good crossover for that, and there many good online topo sources.

Flying for pleasure would be more limiting in options (I guess- I've never done it) for unimproved landings, but that is exactly what helicopters are for. Pick likely sites, do an online review to determine ownership, see about getting permission is a little more involved than formal landing sites, but it can usually be done.

I hate urban helipads, the terrain is more difficult and the neighbors, looky-loos and NIMBYs can be a problem. Lots of helipads, heliports have noise issues with neighborhoods. Security can be an issue, as well, even at heliports, helos just seem to draw crowds.

P.S. Get some specific training in rooftop ops. They're usually not as technically challenging as mountains, but they have some potential 'gotchas'.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

The vast majority of my flying is to off-airport sites (circa 90%). I only land away at airports/heliports (non-homebase) if I need fuel or have to clear customs.

I’m asking about fun/interesting landing spots to try out if flying in the area.

Also, how is flying for recreation “limiting”? Private owners/pilots can go when/where we wish.

Here’s another site; however unfortunately in mid-2018 they stopped allowing helicopter landings – possible that they may allow landings again soon.

No Man’s Land Fort, hotel/restaurant, mid-Solent, UK (photo below)

post-60354-0-08687700-1546112172_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Also, how is flying for recreation “limiting”? Private owners/pilots can go when/where we wish.

"Flying for pleasure would be more limiting in options (I guess- I've never done it) for unimproved landings"

I guess I should have specified 'more limiting' than HEMS options... Never had a request for an alternate LZ to that proposed declined by the requesting agency. After the jaws of life, I think bolt cutters are fire/rescue's favorite toy, er - favorite 'tool'.

P.S. No Man’s Land Fort- That would be cool, too bad they're not using that helipad.

P.P.S. Brasstown Valley Resort and Spa 34° 57.03' 83° 50.79' Not in any directory I know of.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

Regarding No Man's Land Fort, it was open to pilots for a few years, but now they say it's only to be used in emergencies. It's off the south coast between UK mainland and the Isle of Wight.

For the US, I'd be most interested in places near the major metro areas where I could fly to from the UK and also able to find a R44 for hire.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...