Fort Rucker Dog Restrictions

Has anyone had any luck with mutts that may have one of the 'dangerous breeds' in their lineage?

From the Corvias website:

"...dogs belonging to dangerous breeds to include full or mixed breed Pit Bulls, American Staffordshire Bull Terriers, English Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, Chows, Doberman Pinschers and wolf hybrids are prohibited from Fort Rucker family housing areas."

We're leaning towards staying on post for IERW but will have to figure out what to do with this fat doofus. I have no idea what breeds he actually is, but if Corvias asks, I'm hoping that I can sell 'Lab-mix'.post-52225-0-03794300-1563764771_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Zack

I'm curious too. I have a rescue mutt that looks like she might have one of those mixes in her. (Really wish DOD would change their policy on dogs).

Does your vet paperwork show your dog as a "non-aggressive" (such an asinine term) breed? Will housing accept that or will they go off their own expertise in identifying mutts? How's the community? Will a neighbor complain if they catch sight of the dog after corvias accepts the mutt?

Just throwing out more questions related to the topic.

The folks at Fort Irwin told us there is no DOD policy against any breed of dog. It's the housing companies that restrict them. But yeah everyone just puts lab mix down and lives with their pit bulls. Just don't let your dog bark in the back yard or get loose and I bet you'll be fine.

Edit: Before someone comes along and corrects me, I did not dig into it any further. I just remember there being no breed restrictions on the base itself, just in the housing areas ran by whatever company that was.

Edited by SBuzzkill

I know numerous people who have dogs such as pits that are banned on post, just take to an off post vet to have all the paperwork done and instead of putting pit as the main breed put whatever the minority mix is. On post housing won't look at your dog, they just want the correct paperwork. I've seen 100% pure rottweilers that are categorized as labs lol.

Can also have your dog be a companion pet, also how people get around having more than the allowed number of pets in on post housing.

• 8 months later...

Is it easy to get a local vet to put down "lab-mix" for your dog? I have a 10 yr old handicapped pit that couldn't hurt a fly, wondering if I'll be able to get housing with Corvias. Current paperwork has him down as a Staffordshire. Also, I had to have him registered as an "emotional support dog" in order to get housing where I'm at now but hesitant to mention that in case it would affect my military records in any way.. 

• Like 1

I think the reality is they aren't really concerned about what you have unless it becomes a problem. Spend a day walking around the housing area and that is pretty apparent. I've seen more GSDs than anything else down here. 

On 7/21/2019 at 10:07 PM, zack.colorado said:

Has anyone had any luck with mutts that may have one of the 'dangerous breeds' in their lineage?

From the Corvias website:

"...dogs belonging to dangerous breeds to include full or mixed breed Pit Bulls, American Staffordshire Bull Terriers, English Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, Chows, Doberman Pinschers and wolf hybrids are prohibited from Fort Rucker family housing areas."

We're leaning towards staying on post for IERW but will have to figure out what to do with this fat doofus. I have no idea what breeds he actually is, but if Corvias asks, I'm hoping that I can sell 'Lab-mix'.post-52225-0-03794300-1563764771_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Zack

Your dog looks like a mix of lab, pit, and German shepherd to me

I've been lurking around here for quite a while and it's really cool to see the process come full circle for you, Mike. Hope you enjoy your experience at Rucker. My wife and I were just talking about how much we missed it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amp said:

I've been lurking around here for quite a while and it's really cool to see the process come full circle for you, Mike. Hope you enjoy your experience at Rucker. My wife and I were just talking about how much we missed it.

Thanks man, it's slowly creeping along. Figures I get here right as Corona is taking off lol. Assuming all goes well, It'll be about 5 years between my first post here and when I graduate.