November 2019 Board

1 hour ago, LordByron423 said:

So I stayed up last night thinking of ways I can improve my packet for my 2nd look. The next board meets in Jan 2020. I'm going to take a few flight instruction classes. The price for it is a bit steep so I could probably only do 2 or maybe 3 between now and Jan. My question to the guys that have a PPL already is this. I keep reading things about ground instruction and  the FAA Knowledge test. What exactly is that and if I were to take and pass the FAA Knowledge Test do I get a certificate? Something like that would be great to include in my improved packet. 

Also I'm training harder and smarter to take another APFT in Jan right before I submit my packet again. 

I would definitely apply a certain focus on the APFT. I didn't submit my packet even though it was complete until I scored above a 280.

1 hour ago, LordByron423 said:

So I stayed up last night thinking of ways I can improve my packet for my 2nd look. The next board meets in Jan 2020. I'm going to take a few flight instruction classes. The price for it is a bit steep so I could probably only do 2 or maybe 3 between now and Jan. My question to the guys that have a PPL already is this. I keep reading things about ground instruction and  the FAA Knowledge test. What exactly is that and if I were to take and pass the FAA Knowledge Test do I get a certificate? Something like that would be great to include in my improved packet. 

Also I'm training harder and smarter to take another APFT in Jan right before I submit my packet again. 

Lost a little sleep myself.

It has to be the APFT. Well, I’m just hopeful that’s what it is because you and I have VERY similar stats. A shame I couldn’t get my packet processed. Had I been selected we could’ve honed in on it. 

I tested myself at home several months before my actual fitness test and I was quite humbled to say the least. I’m very active and went into it thinking I’d have no issue maxing out. Strength conditioning is far different from endurance training. I immediately implemented 10 sets of 30 pushups and the same with sit ups in my daily regimen. Five days a week. Boosted my score after a couple months work by around 35 points. It can be done! 

40 minutes ago, Patr1ots8 said:

I haven’t heard anything. You can try to call your WO recruiter though. Because i’m sure if the list isn’t posted next week before the long weekend their phones will be turned off haha

I hit some folks up. I guess the board is complete but they haven’t pushed out the names of the selectees. They are holding it tight to their chest for the time being. I was also told that the MILPER message may not get released until after the thanksgiving 96. 

1 hour ago, MTrexler90 said:

Did you get selected, Shibagod? If not, do they provide any reasoning? 

I'm on this board actually. I'll find out when the MILPER comes out.

5 minutes ago, Gun Chief Wu said:

I hit some folks up. I guess the board is complete but they haven’t pushed out the names of the selectees. They are holding it tight to their chest for the time being. I was also told that the MILPER message may not get released until after the thanksgiving 96. 

I almost don't mind waiting, only because I'm going through a PCS at that time lol.

9 minutes ago, Gun Chief Wu said:

Yeah they have 3-5 business days after the conclusion of the board so hopefully they get it published on the 3rd. That being Wednesday of next week. They’ve been good about it in the past so i’m being optimistic. 

34 minutes ago, Knox67 said:

Is it frowned upon by to post names from the selected for ra woft here if anyone comes up with the list?

Yeah I think someone posted the names of the selected from the September board and it was deleted. It’s probably not a good practice anyways. If you need to check a name I would recommend PMing someone on here.

16 minutes ago, Patr1ots8 said:

Yeah I think someone posted the names of the selected from the September board and it was deleted. It’s probably not a good practice anyways. If you need to check a name I would recommend PMing someone on here.

Second that. I would not post names on here. Likely no one other than recruiters will actually get eyes on the preliminary AD list.

4 hours ago, Knox67 said:

Recruiter called.  Second time was the charm.  S2S Selected!  No word yet on dates.  Will swear in next week.  Happy Thanksgiving and wishing anyone still waiting, good luck.

What did you change between your first and second packets? I wasn't selected this time, so I'm working on improving myself for my second look.

3 hours ago, LordByron423 said:

What did you change between your first and second packets? I wasn't selected this time, so I'm working on improving myself for my second look.

The only thing changed was a rework of the essay.  Went back and reworked it to emphasize all my abilities and how I have prepared myself.

20 hours ago, LordByron423 said:

What I have advised poeple to do is be sure when you do about 2-3 hrs of flight training, be sure your instructors applies for a student license for you. Anyone can say they have done DiscoFlight or even say they have 10hrs flight experience. I often times, atleast during what was my applicantion process (denied waiver), I would ask myself would a board member over look this or take it serious. I think certificates of any kind are taken serious, I would think even a student license from the FAA would be taken somewhat serious. In short, if you do decide to recieve light flight training, be sure you will recieve a student license. 

So the FAA Knowledge Test is a multiple choice written exam needed in order to take an FAA Practical Exam. They are pretty big deal for PPL student but kinda just turn into something that is papitas after that. Regardless of how you see them, they are a necessary prerequisite in the FAA eyes. I think you will need an endorement from a CFI but  all they will ask to see normally is 2 practice exams with a 90+ on each. FAA knowledge test run about 160 and I would highly advise getting SheppardAir, about 40 bucks, for study material. If you use their study strategy you pass my a huge margin. 

Bottom line I think you are on the right track in beefing up your packet, 20/45ish, this board is back to being competitive again and people might ask, "why are you paying for flight training the Army will pay for it". Well you gotta get selected first and doing what your doing I think helps more than anything. I got a year before I can apply again and in the likelihood I do get selected, that's about 2 years before I can get at the controls of an Army Helicopter. Might try my luck with the Navy but Im thinking commercial aviation will be my thing. 

To anyone needing any adivce on civilian flight training, even more so, prior service memebers who have VAED and wanting advice on civilian flight training, slide into my DMs. Atleast in my opinion, aviation particularly helicopter aviation is an untapped market and the jobs are there so there is alot to be hopeful about!

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 12:50 PM, Luckylife64 said:

It’s hard to say. From the previous boards and forms I’ve read some people were notified the Tuesday following the board. Meanwhile AD waits for the MILPER message to be released the following Wednesday. 
I know I’m anxious and excited to see the results but you just got to have patience for these things, the board just started.

Wishing the best for all of you on the November board! 

It was actually the Tuesday of the board not after. They go over the civilian packets the weekend before the board starts. I was selected and notified the Tuesday of the board.