R44 Hydraulic Pump

Alright everyone,

Has anyone ever experienced Hydraulic pump cavitation on the R44. I got to thinking about this the other day when I noticed a very faint noise as I tested a hydraulic system. The noise would obviously come on when I turned the pump to the on position, it was a faint whining sound. My only experience with hydraulic pump cavitation has been on large turbine fixed wing aircraft where you would have no chance of hearing any onset failure prior to it happening. The other consideration with this noise would be aeration of some sort. So if you are familiar with this topic, additional knowledge would be appreciated as to get a better understanding of what an impending failure will truly sound like. 

On 11/16/2019 at 11:10 AM, barrett5991 said:

Alright everyone,

Has anyone ever experienced Hydraulic pump cavitation on the R44. I got to thinking about this the other day when I noticed a very faint noise as I tested a hydraulic system. The noise would obviously come on when I turned the pump to the on position, it was a faint whining sound. My only experience with hydraulic pump cavitation has been on large turbine fixed wing aircraft where you would have no chance of hearing any onset failure prior to it happening. The other consideration with this noise would be aeration of some sort. So if you are familiar with this topic, additional knowledge would be appreciated as to get a better understanding of what an impending failure will truly sound like. 

Cavitation can be recognized by sound. The pump will produce either a whining or a rattling sound. If you hear either, you'll need to determine the source.  These sounds don’t guarantee a hydraulic system problem.

Flow restrictions, buildup in the strainers, filters, or shutoff valves not fully opening are often causes of cavitation. High oil viscosity, oil that is too viscous and will not flow easily also causes problems. Oil viscosity must be appropriate for the climate and application. Correct any fluid leaks.

Likely there's not much wrong, the R44 hydraulic system is fairly simple. Maybe just a loose fitting or replacement of the 10-micron filter. You’ll need more evidence of a problem, beyond what you’re hearing.

VnOFuYM.png

Edited by iChris
  • Like 2