JAN WOFT SELECTION RESULTS

So i was able to look at the acceptance list on WOFT, and basically no on under 25 got accepted there where about 20 candidates under that on civ side. Also no one without a degree or a pilots license didn't get selected either. So basically all in all enlisted is a 100% better of a chance to go selected, from JAX batt the acceptance rate without a PP license or a degree is around 1-2%. 

Min. accepted gt score was in the high 120's that got accepted

Min. Pt score was around 260

So what i took this as, as much as i read on this forum it is not a whole character concept, it is to a point but also need to realize that if they have someone with a degree over a degree-less candidate they are going to choose the one with the degree.

Im not sure where people read that army is struggling with pilots but thats completely false. They are struggling with retention of pilots. they get over a 1k apps a year if they really needed pilots they would up the 20-30% acceptance rate to a higher rate.

Sorry to be blunt, but its the truth.

I think you believed even if you were a civilian you have the acceptance rate of enlisted personnel that submit a packet, which is false. Board members favor personnel already in the Army, or with prior military service over a civilian unless their packet is stacked, which is why the stats you listed are high. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ampdddd said:

I think you believed even if you were a civilian you have the acceptance rate of enlisted personnel that submit a packet, which is false. Board members favor personnel already in the Army, or with prior military service over a civilian unless their packet is stacked, which is why the stats you listed are high. 

Yeah just want to make it clear becouse after searching online i thought it was a 50/50 fight but its heavily biased, but i understand why tho.

I would guess that it is very much a whole character approach. I have seen plenty of people get accepted on this forum with one or two stats well below what is seen as competitive. If I were you I would keep improving my fitness, education and anything else I could to be competitive. I wanted to do this program 10 years ago but I was not a great student, no flight experience, and nothing to offer but a passion for aviation. I wrote myself off without even trying, so I give props to you for putting in the effort- and would encourage you to keep trying as well as explore ways to improve yourself for this or other opportunities. The maturity thing some other comments have addressed will absolutely come into play especially as you attempt to solicit LORs and ultimately begin training, whether it be in WOFT or any other profession/education. 

For me, after writing myself off as a potential candidate I joined the military. This helped me to develop my maturity and leadership as well as my study habits. I chose an aviation field with excellent civilian opportunities when I left. Instead of driving a nice car or frequenting the bars like my peers, I took weekly flight lessons for many months. When I got out, I used the GI bill which actually paid me more to go to school 2-3 days a week than I was making when I was enlisted. Not worrying about bills made it easy to apply the discipline/study habits I developed in the military to achieve excellent grades and still have time for my hobbies and a part time job. I still don't have a degree, still don't have a PPL but have demonstrated I am actively working towards both and had enough on my resume to feel confident about finally dropping a packet. Yesterday I was accepted. 

I'm not saying the way I did it is the only way; I probably could have gotten in long ago had I been trying this whole time. The best advice I can give is don't let this setback cause you to give up on your dream. Be the best at whatever you choose to do in the meantime whether it be school, the military or another line of work. People will take notice, and the quality of your LORs and resume will get to where it needs to be.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ampdddd said:

There's 2 seperate boards. Active duty and civilian. You aren't competing with enlisted personnel. There's no favoring prior service, what they favor is the experience garnered from that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Axesteel said:

So i was able to look at the acceptance list on WOFT, and basically no on under 25 got accepted there where about 20 candidates under that on civ side. Also no one without a degree or a pilots license didn't get selected either.

So you're saying that there were 20 applicants that were under the age of 25? Do you know how many applicants there were total on this board? In November there were 47 applicants and they selected 20 from the civilian board, about 42% selection rate.

I wonder if they count prior flight experience as having a PPL just for abbreviating the stats report. 

9 minutes ago, Axesteel said:

Yeah just want to make it clear becouse after searching online i thought it was a 50/50 fight but its heavily biased, but i understand why tho.

Just the way the cookie crumbles. I suggest enlisting for a while in an aviation MOS if you’d like to serve. Like someone said before, it’s a marathon and not a sprint, which is why most candidates are SGT+ with quite a few years in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jlopez13 said:

There's 2 seperate boards. Active duty and civilian. You aren't competing with enlisted personnel. There's no favoring prior service, what they favor is the experience garnered from that.

Thanks for correcting me, wasn’t completely sure but just figured. You sort of contradicted yourself on that last sentence though lol. 

3 minutes ago, LordByron423 said:

So you're saying that there were 20 applicants that were under the age of 25? Do you know how many applicants there were total on this board? In November there were 47 applicants and they selected 20 from the civilian board, about 42% selection rate.

I wonder if they count prior flight experience as having a PPL just for abbreviating the stats report. 

i cant say exactly but it was estimated over 50

4 minutes ago, Ampdddd said:

Thanks for correcting me, wasn’t completely sure but just figured. You sort of contradicted yourself on that last sentence though lol. 

Let me rephrase, you can also have a civilian job for years and they would hold that in higher esteem than someone with no job experience and just education/no education 

3 minutes ago, Jlopez13 said:

Let me rephrase, you can also have a civilian job for years and they would hold that in higher esteem than someone with no job experience and just education/no education 

yes exactly, wanted to make this clear since in just out of highschool and thought a pretty highchance, now im trying to be a 15t to become a crewchief

1 minute ago, Axesteel said:

yes exactly, wanted to make this clear since in just out of highschool and thought a pretty highchance, now im trying to be a 15t to become a crewchief

I think that's a good idea, in my opinion, but definitely let your package be boarded for that automatic 2nd look. Doesn't hurt to try.

1 minute ago, Axesteel said:

Thankyou, you to! ill have to see whats official going on, depends on contracts possibility of EOD is on the table to. As from what the board sees, it doesnt matter your prev mos

That's true but word of advice, try going for an aviation related mos. That's what I had, CrayonEater did to and lots of other selected. Gives you more familiarity and proximity to what you eventually want to become. But definitely pick the mos that you think will benefit you the most and you'll enjoy.

1 hour ago, Axesteel said:

Im not sure where people read that army is struggling with pilots but thats completely false. They are struggling with retention of pilots. they get over a 1k apps a year if they really needed pilots they would up the 20-30% acceptance rate to a higher rate.

Sorry to be blunt, but its the truth.

That's not how that works at all. I get you might be frustrated due to the recent board, but don't speculate on these types of things.

Yes, the Army is short on pilots. That is a fact. As of 2019 they filled gaps from 731 to 700. They have a long way to go. Accepting pilots isn't the issue, you have to consider the pipeline that it takes to create pilots. The Army can only produce so many at any given time with the resources it requires. Think trainers, classes, airframes, instructors, ect. 

The pilot shortage is global and everyone is feeling it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shibagod said:

That's not how that works at all. I get you might be frustrated due to the recent board, but don't speculate on these types of things.

Yes, the Army is short on pilots. That is a fact. As of 2019 they filled gaps from 731 to 700. They have a long way to go. Accepting pilots isn't the issue, you have to consider the pipeline that it takes to create pilots. The Army can only produce so many at any given time with the resources it requires. Think trainers, classes, airframes, instructors, ect. 

Its not that army cant make them, its the fact that at the amount they are making them the amount of people are leaving because pilots get paid like dog sh*t in the army.

1 hour ago, Shibagod said:

Not upset at all, actually it was a learning point. Trying to make this post to inform thats its almost fruitless to do highschool to flight school and waste about a year or 2 trying if you have nothing under your belt.

AxeSteel, your reaction to the selection results does not suggest a level of maturity that people look for in putting someone in charge of the lives of others, not to mention aircraft worth millions of dollars. An appropriate response would be to ask how you can better yourself to be selected next board or in the future. Complaining about the process/suggesting others do not make an effort on a public forum does not indicate professionalism. leadership, or any other quality that is indicative of future success as an officer or an aviator. This, like the posts of many of the previous folks who have commented is constructive criticism. I want to see you succeed but we want you to understand you will continue to rub people the wrong way if you maintain the attitude you have in these posts.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Axesteel said:

Not upset at all, actually it was a learning point. Trying to make this post to inform thats its almost fruitless to do highschool to flight school and waste about a year or 2 trying if you have nothing under your belt.

It's not fruitless. Plenty of my MTPs, nearly all, were street to seat. Simply put, your individual packet wasn't strong enough against that specific board. I would never discourage someone to attempt to apply because of speculative rates.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, YoSmitty said:

I heard there were 35 civilians that were boarded, 20 accepted - 13 had a bachelors and 3 had a PPL.

Could y'all weigh in on whether fixed wing time is just as good as rotary in terms of beefing up a packet for a second look?

I don’t think they care nor do I think it’s worth your time and money unless you’re already doing civilian flight school to become a civilian pilot. Out of the 40ish people in my primary class only two of us had civilian flight ratings (fixed wing) and neither were street to seat. 

1 hour ago, Thedude said:

I don’t think they care nor do I think it’s worth your time and money unless you’re already doing civilian flight school to become a civilian pilot. Out of the 40ish people in my primary class only two of us had civilian flight ratings (fixed wing) and neither were street to seat. 

I figure that's that best thing right now to beef up a packet for second look (aside from better PFT score and perhaps one more strong LOR).