Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So, after doing some research on the whole 153A path in the army, I've come up with a few questions/comments/concerns about nearly every part of the process I'm hoping to have addressed before I start my career in the army. But for your sake, here are the main ones.

1. LoRs. This is the only part I'm not too worried on as I have a army guard posting 15 minutes away from me that carries a dozen or so 60's with a couple CWO's on base, some time this year I'll contact the unit and ask if I could get a interview from any CW3+ and hopefully get a LOR or 2.  Aside from that, my pops served 34 some years in the AF and still has quite a few friends who ended up becoming majors, colonels and even one or 2 who ended up as generals, most of witch he still has contact with and offered to ask if they would interview me to see If they believe I'm worthy of a letter. Is this adequate, or should I push for more diverse letters? 

2. Resume/additional certifications. To be honest, I'm sort of freaking out about presenting my resume and/or life achievements to the board, As the only certification I have to my name is from my 8th grade green belt test. And my resume doesn't look much better than that either. It's definitely lacking, but I'm still somewhat at ease considering (from what I've read) the army is currently in a deficit for pilots and will take anyone who isn't mentally disabled and has the willpower to fly aircraft. (though, I do still realize more needs to be done and added to my resume, but what can I do in a year to add to my packet to make it stand out?)

3. Should I do it all now? I'm 17 currently and I am homeschooled with a year off until I'm legally old enough to get my GED. I have talked to the recruiter a little bit here and there with the process but, can I/should I get everything out of the way now so I basically just have to sign the commission papers when I get obtain my GED? As far as like, can I do the ASVAB and sift now? Can I do my board meeting now? can I go through MEPS now etc etc etc, or should I just wait until I turn 18 then do the entire process then and there. 

 

I would greatly appreciate any and all help with my concerns. Thank you for taking the time of day to read this! 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off one thing I want to address is the Army does NOT treat a GED the same as a High School diploma, as you can see from the USAREC WOFT Page 

  • High school diploma. If the applicant has a GED holder he/she must have required college credit hours to be eligible with Education Code "128", per AR 601-210, 2-7c(7).

you will need a diploma or 15 college credit hours to join as a 153A. 
 

Next to address your resume, start looking at any extracurricular you did EG sports and think about how they can help your resume as they speak to your leadership potential and ability to work as a team member which many home schoolers lack. 
 

last off start the process now it will take longer then you expect.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Patriot17 said:

It's definitely lacking, but I'm still somewhat at ease considering (from what I've read) the army is currently in a deficit for pilots and will take anyone who isn't mentally disabled and has the willpower to fly aircraft.

 

JH11B already addressed the other points, this one just stood out to me.

Try not to think of it as the Army just taking Willy Nilly everyone. There is a deficit, but the pipeline is still a chokepoint. That being said, they are still able to be selective in their process, hence the recent overall rates compared to like 3 years ago.

Ultimately, you're still bring boarded vs a broad range of people who are fighting for select number of class seats.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned you’ll need at least 15 credits from college to qualify since you don’t have a diploma. Rather than taking a year off from school and not even meeting the initial requirements use that year to go to a local community college and get the credits you need. Without that everything else is pretty much a waste of time. Additionally, if you aren’t selected you didn’t waste a year of your life sitting at home and have a head start if you choose to continue and get a degree. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First and foremost, I apologize for the late response to each and every one of you. I did not have enough time to hop on this forum in the last few days as I would've hoped.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:17 AM, JH11B said:

ou will need a diploma or 15 college credit hours to join as a 153A. 
 

Next to address your resume, start looking at any extracurricular you did EG sports and think about how they can help your resume as they speak to your leadership potential and ability to work as a team member which many home schoolers lack. 
 

This is actually very helpful, thank you. I had no idea i needed 15 college credits but I'll be sure to start working on that now, rather than later If I want to commission when I turn 18.

I didn't really think of the benefits I could have for listing my martial arts experience until you mentioned it, thank you for that advice as well. 

On 1/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, Shibagod said:

JH11B already addressed the other points, this one just stood out to me.

Try not to think of it as the Army just taking Willy Nilly everyone. There is a deficit, but the pipeline is still a chokepoint. That being said, they are still able to be selective in their process, hence the recent overall rates compared to like 3 years ago.

Ultimately, you're still bring boarded vs a broad range of people who are fighting for select number of class seats.

Right, i wasn't treating the deficit as a excuse for me to do less work to get accepted to the program, I just mentioned it as a reassurance that my odds will be slightly better today than they were 8+ years ago. 

 

22 hours ago, Thedude said:

Rather than taking a year off from school and not even meeting the initial requirements use that year to go to a local community college and get the credits you need. Without that everything else is pretty much a waste of time. Additionally, if you aren’t selected you didn’t waste a year of your life sitting at home and have a head start if you choose to continue and get a degree. 

Wilco, thank you, I'll start my packet In the following week when I'm not as busy. I appreciate the advice :)

 

 

also, does anyone know the likeliness of being selected to fly fixed wing aircraft rather than rotary? I'm kind of nervous I'll be selected for the C-12 or perhaps a U.A.V slot, as I've always been fascinated by helis and how they work and I would have no higher honor than being able to fly one for the U.S army (not to get down/disrespect the WO's who got selected for other aircraft, and not that I wouldn't be happy flying other aircraft, but I've always wanted to fly helicopters is all.)

Also, can i even do the SIFT or board meeting right now, or do I have to wait until I'm 18?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Patriot17 said:

 

also, does anyone know the likeliness of being selected to fly fixed wing aircraft rather than rotary? I'm kind of nervous I'll be selected for the C-12 or perhaps a U.A.V slot, as I've always been fascinated by helis and how they work and I would have no higher honor than being able to fly one for the U.S army (not to get down/disrespect the WO's who got selected for other aircraft, and not that I wouldn't be happy flying other aircraft, but I've always wanted to fly helicopters is all.)

Also, can i even do the SIFT or board meeting right now, or do I have to wait until I'm 18?

You can’t be selected for UAS as that requires prior enlisted military experience. As far as fixed wing that usually goes to the top selectees as it’s generally what everyone wants. If you want RW(rotary wing) you’ll be fine. 
 When it comes to taking your SIFT ECT that comes down to recruiting BN and MEPS SOPs. You should be able to do the tests but not the boards prior to turning 18. Also I had a homeschooled street to seat in my class it’s doable, you just need to have solid LOR that show your leadership attributes.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...