Allergen DQ's

So if I, uh *ahem* a friend of mine theoretically had a peanut allergy that would be potentially disqualifying, and nevertheless decided to go into WOFT w/o informing the recruiter of said allergen anyway... would "he" be able to play it off until fully qualified on a select airframe, then "discover" that he had a peanut allergen? Again, asking for a friend.

I went to basic in a different branch, but the chow hall served peanut butter and recruits would occasionally get caught sneaking packets of it into their pockets to consume later. If your friend is one of those people who swells up like that girl from Willy Wonka and dies when exposed to peanuts, he or she is in for a bad time.

28 minutes ago, CrayonEater said:

I went to basic in a different branch, but the chow hall served peanut butter and recruits would occasionally get caught sneaking packets of it into their pockets to consume later. If your friend is one of those people who swells up like that girl from Willy Wonka and dies when exposed to peanuts, he or she is in for a bad time.

so, they don't force you to eat peanuts? 

But no, my friend is fine touching peanuts, just not consuming. 

And I only asked the original question cause I thought I heard they do a allergy panel when you get your class 1 flight physical, to see if you were lying about not being allergic to anything. 

9 minutes ago, Patriot17 said:

so, they don't force you to eat peanuts? 

But no, my friend is fine touching peanuts, just not consuming. 

And I only asked the original question cause I thought I heard they do a allergy panel when you get your class 1 flight physical, to see if you were lying about not being allergic to anything. 

I don’t recall a allergy panel however, I would tell your “friend” to just hope for a Med waiver and not doing anything stupid because Fort Rucker is in the middle of a huge peanut growing area and when it’s harvest time the peanut dust in the air is no joke. Also I had a class mate with a peanut allergy and she passed a flight phy so it’s definitely possible. 

1 hour ago, JH11B said:

I don’t recall a allergy panel however, I would tell your “friend” to just hope for a Med waiver and not doing anything stupid because Fort Rucker is in the middle of a huge peanut growing area and when it’s harvest time the peanut dust in the air is no joke. Also I had a class mate with a peanut allergy and she passed a flight phy so it’s definitely possible. 

Right, but getting a waiver from what I've heard is next to impossible for peanuts, and if that gets denied then the army knows said friend has a allergen and will most likely permanently DQ him from service. Do you know if your friend got a waiver, or did she just keep it hush? 

Also, It seems that being around dust whenever he's in or around five guys or texas roadhouse or other such environments with a lot of dust particles, It has little to none effect on him. But it could be different in FT Rucker like you said, I guess  

Ill chime in here as the voice of reason.  Dont lie about something that can possibly bite you later in your career.  Do the right thing and get the waiver in.  Your “friend” will thank you later if something bad like cross contamination happens.

3 hours ago, JH11B said:

She had a Med tag so it was in her records.  It was something we made fun of her for since we couldn’t bring any peanuts in the briefing room. 

most likely then it wasn't anaphylactic, witch mi amigos is, and if its anaphylactic there's almost a 0.00% chance of getting a waiver, thank you though 😕 

31 minutes ago, StockTrader said:

Ill chime in here as the voice of reason.  Dont lie about something that can possibly bite you later in your career.  Do the right thing and get the waiver in.  Your “friend” will thank you later if something bad like cross contamination happens.

right, but I was thinking of alternatives in the likelihood "his" waiver would be denied. Mainly cause my "friend" has anaphylactic reactions to peanuts, witch is pretty much a DQ under almost every circumstance from what I've heard. 

5 hours ago, Patriot17 said:

right, but I was thinking of alternatives in the likelihood "his" waiver would be denied. Mainly cause my "friend" has anaphylactic reactions to peanuts, witch is pretty much a DQ under almost every circumstance from what I've heard. 

Just accept the fact that you have a medical condition that can kill you and probably disqualifies you from service. Don't lie about it and potentially endanger yourself and your would be comrades when you have an unexpected reaction at the perfectly wrong time. Try for a waiver and see what happens. There are more (and better) ways to get to be a pilot than the Army. 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:07 PM, CrayonEater said:

I got caught with peanut butter 😆. ITs only make you stronger lol

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2020 at 8:36 AM, Thedude said:

Just accept the fact that you have a medical condition that can kill you and probably disqualifies you from service. Don't lie about it and potentially endanger yourself and your would be comrades when you have an unexpected reaction at the perfectly wrong time. Try for a waiver and see what happens.

Right, but this is a hard pill for me to swallow and do because Army Aviation has always been my dream/goal. I appreciate the insight, though 😕 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:36 AM, Thedude said:

There are more (and better) ways to get to be a pilot than the Army. 

like what? cause it's always been the warrant officer path that's been appealing to me