MAY 2020 BOARD (MARCH 2020 PACKET DEADLINE)

29 minutes ago, Ampdddd said:

Congrats man. Any major changes between then and now? 

I have a much higher profile job now, and a couple of good NCOERS. Just keep looking for more letters, I had my three (CW5) along with a Aviation Major and an Aviation 1 Star.

I was not selected during the May 2020 board and I have not received an email yet stating whether I was a FQ-NS or a NC-NS. This was my first look therefore, I will be submitting updates for the July board. If anyone can please provide me with tips based on my stats on how I can increase my chances on getting selected on my second look I appreciate it.

ASVAB GT: 110

SIFT: 42

APFT: 300

EDUCATION: 56 credits towards a bachelors in Computer Science

FLIGHT: None

LORS: CO, BC, CW3, CW5

OTHER INFO: Active Duty, E-6 (7 months TIG), 11B, 6 years TIS, 2 deployments (9 months Bahrain, 8 months Afghanistan)

PHYSICAL: Stamped

WAIVERS: None

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: 4 ARCOMs, 4 AAMs, Expert Infantryman Badge, Air Assault Badge, Basic Parachutist Badge (Airborne), Unit Movement Officer (UMO), BLC (Distinguished honor grad), ALC (Superiors list) and 2 highly qualified NCOERs. 

PLAN OF ACTION: So far, I plan on revising my essay, try to get a LOR from a O-6 pilot and update my ERB. 

Based on my statistics, what else would you recommend to increase my chances on getting selected during the July board? I understand my test scores are not high I believe that may have been the reason I was not selected. Also, would I have to get my current LORs resigned? I heard LORs are good for one year not sure if that is true or not. Thank you for your time and assistance!

1 hour ago, Aviation109 said:

I was not selected during the May 2020 board and I have not received an email yet stating whether I was a FQ-NS or a NC-NS. This was my first look therefore, I will be submitting updates for the July board. If anyone can please provide me with tips based on my stats on how I can increase my chances on getting selected on my second look I appreciate it.

OTHER INFO: Active Duty, E-6 (7 months TIG), 11B, 6 years TIS, 2 deployments (9 months Bahrain, 8 months Afghanistan)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: 4 ARCOMs, 4 AAMs, Expert Infantryman Badge, Air Assault Badge, Basic Parachutist Badge (Airborne), Unit Movement Officer (UMO), BLC (Distinguished honor grad), ALC (Superiors list) and 2 highly qualified NCOERs. 

PLAN OF ACTION: So far, I plan on revising my essay, try to get a LOR from a O-6 pilot and update my ERB. 

Based on my statistics, what else would you recommend to increase my chances on getting selected during the July board? I understand my test scores are not high I believe that may have been the reason I was not selected. Also, would I have to get my current LORs resigned? I heard LORs are good for one year not sure if that is true or not. Thank you for your time and assistance!

Hey brotha. So you have somewhat similar stats as I did and I just got selected on this board on my first look. I say just edit your resume essay? Mine was short (one paragraph) and straight to the point. My stats: 

Put in my packet for the March board as well. Needless to say I’m nervous as well. Best of luck to everyone! 

ASVAB GT: 126

SIFT: 47

EDUCATION:  Military Ed: BLC (honor grad) ALC (Commandants) Ranger (honor grad), Air Assault, Airborne, MRT, Master SUAS Trainer, Raven/Puma QC, Military Advisor Training Course, 

LORS: O-4, 0-5 and CW5 (160th SOAR Senior WO) 

OTHER INFO: Active Duty, E-6 (7 years TIS). 19D. Prior Pre Ranger Instructor. 3 deployments, currently in SFAB 

PHYSICAL: Completed: qualified

2 hours ago, Aviation109 said:

Bahrain isn't a deployment....

In all seriousness, don't get an O6 recommendation. You require a W3+ recommendation anyway. An 06 aviator in the Army isn't a pilot anyway and the selection board of warrant officers know that. Update your ERB, make sure your DA photo matches your ERB, revise your essay and resume. If you can get your GT score up. 

Figured I'd throw my data in, and any input would be appreciated, particularly on the plan of action bit.  I was on the May 2020 board and FQ-NS.  I'm a bit older, and I imagine that was a large factor.  Doesn't really show on the board, but I had some things happen to make me pause that were in my control (a few years ago), and some others that were very much out of my control (the past two years).  Hardest hit was when they changed the AFS requirement from 12 to 8 years, and waiting for my stupid security clearance re-investigation to finalize right when the DoD ran out of money and changed the whole process (14 months where I was on an interim and couldn't submit when I had 10 yrs AFS and the requirement was 12).  One other note, I am an Air Force E-7 trying to make the jump.

ASVAB GT: 138

SIFT: 69

EDUCATION: 46 credits towards a bachelors in Engineering

LORS: Section Commander (O-1), Sq Commander (O4), CW5

OTHER INFO: Active Duty, Air Force E-7 (4 months TIG), aircraft maintenance with 9 years experience on HH-60s, 12 years TIS, 6 deployments (18 mos Afghanistan, 7 months Iraq, 7 months Turkey ISO Iraq)

WAIVERS: AFS and moral (stupid underage consumption before I joined), both approved

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: 3 AF Commendation Medals, 2 AF achievement medals, Levitow winner for E-6 PME (top graduate), 9/10 EPRs (our NCOERs) are top markings, my most recent promotion eligible had the only promotion statement in my 34 person eligibility pool (that's just how our promotion system works), 1 bad EPR 4 years ago for overdue on fitness test.

PLAN OF ACTION: I wrote the essay on the resume trying to highlight my technical acumen and leadership experience.  I was fully qualified in eight different career fields on the HH-60 and probably tried to ride that too much.  I want to rewrite it and focus more on the why I want to be an aviator.  I enjoy my job, I like fixing aircraft, but from the start of my career I have always wanted more of a front row seat to the mission.  I loved the rush of a scramble for a real world rescue, loved getting the aircraft ready, loved getting told a critical system was down and being able to fix it on the spot so they could still take off, but I hated that after that rush, the helo was flying away into harms way to save a life, and I was left watching it go on the ground.

Also, I have an AF helicopter pilot (O-5) I have deployed with a few times who is willing to write an LOR that I'm going to add.  I could probably pretty easily get my first two LORs signed by an O-4 and O-6 respectively (squadron commander and group commander).  And since I submitted I won an award at our Major Command level, currently competing at the all Air Force level.

6 hours ago, USAF_Eric said:

Figured I'd throw my data in, and any input would be appreciated, particularly on the plan of action bit.  I was on the May 2020 board and FQ-NS.  I'm a bit older, and I imagine that was a large factor.  Doesn't really show on the board, but I had some things happen to make me pause that were in my control (a few years ago), and some others that were very much out of my control (the past two years).  Hardest hit was when they changed the AFS requirement from 12 to 8 years, and waiting for my stupid security clearance re-investigation to finalize right when the DoD ran out of money and changed the whole process (14 months where I was on an interim and couldn't submit when I had 10 yrs AFS and the requirement was 12).  One other note, I am an Air Force E-7 trying to make the jump.

LORS: Section Commander (O-1), Sq Commander (O4), CW5

WAIVERS: AFS and moral (stupid underage consumption before I joined), both approved

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: 3 AF Commendation Medals, 2 AF achievement medals, Levitow winner for E-6 PME (top graduate), 9/10 EPRs (our NCOERs) are top markings, my most recent promotion eligible had the only promotion statement in my 34 person eligibility pool (that's just how our promotion system works), 1 bad EPR 4 years ago for overdue on fitness test.

[Truncated to save space]

My cents.

I don't think your age is an issue (you're still under 33). The AFS and moral waivers should be non-factors since they were both approved.

I suggest dropping the butter bar for your CO-equivalent LOR, it is not really an influential rank. You should have at minimum the flight commander (O-3 at least) sign, so that is a good first fix. Most of the other in-service folks you are competing with will have at O-3 at minimum. The closer they can speak about your character and achievements the better.

The EPR (referral?) is not a good look, but if it hasn't been addressed in your essay, include the reasons and mitigating circumstances.

17 hours ago, parking said:

My cents.

I don't think your age is an issue (you're still under 33). The AFS and moral waivers should be non-factors since they were both approved.

I suggest dropping the butter bar for your CO-equivalent LOR, it is not really an influential rank. You should have at minimum the flight commander (O-3 at least) sign, so that is a good first fix. Most of the other in-service folks you are competing with will have at O-3 at minimum. The closer they can speak about your character and achievements the better.

The EPR (referral?) is not a good look, but if it hasn't been addressed in your essay, include the reasons and mitigating circumstances.

Fair enough, I appreciate the advice.  It'll be easy enough to get the LORs upgraded, I just went off of what my recruiter suggested since our unit structure doesn't exactly match to the Army. My Squadron commander (the O-4) sews on Lt Col on July 1st, but that is right around when I'll need to submit updates so cutting it close.

Yes, the referral EPR is my biggest blemish on an otherwise really good career.  To explain if you're interested (if not ignore the next paragraph), our EPRs have a rater with markings, an additional rater (usually the rater's rater) who concurs or non-concurs, and then the Commander signs, and if the member is promotion eligible, gives a promotion recommendation. A referral can be done by the rater or additional rater, and it essentially means because of this thing that happened in the rating period, I'm referring this to the next higher level to review and give the member a chance to rebut.  Mine was in 2015, my PT test had been exempted for a year so I could deploy.  I came back, thinking I wasn't due til the 12 months were up, but it got cut back to 42 days after return.  No one noticed for two months, until the day before my EPR closed out.  Our PT tests at that time HAD to be administered by a civilian at the gym, couldn't get someone in the unit to do it.  So I went overdue when my EPR closed out, and passed the test the week after.  Plagued me ever since, affected my promotion scores for the next three years and it finally dropped off of AF consideration this year (we look at last 5 for SNCO promotion boards), but here it is getting me on the WO board.

Thanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, A10haSnackbar said:

Who's going to the January 13th WOCS class with me?

I have a date of 2 February. Is there a way to schedule it earlier. I am not trying to do this drill sergeant stuff any longer than I have to.

10 hours ago, A10haSnackbar said:

Who's going to the January 13th WOCS class with me?

I’m gonna either be with you or Jay3 my WOBC start date is APR 23rd. So I know they’ll back track WOCS.