Help me make my decision?

So I am about a week from selection and am having a hard time choosing between 60’s and 47’s. Can the collective wealth give me some insights into both sides?  

I came to flight school wanting 60’s because I like the mission versatility and I like the aircraft, but have heard the community can be hit or miss. Now the 47 has a similar mission set with a few obvious deviations but I have heard the community is awesome. 

looking past the Army (because we all get out at some point) I feel like there is an easier transition from the 60 because it’s a conventional helicopter. Any insights on this as well?

So I as a forewarning I had no idea what aircraft I wanted until maybe 2 weeks before selection when it came down to 47s or fixed-wing for me (I was top of my class which helped). I did select 47s and after about a year in the community I don’t think I could have picked anything better. It’s a very relaxed environment, everyone actually wants to be here and fly with a minimum of Army BS and the 47 is by far the best rotary-wing aircraft in the Army. We can do things IFR and with our systems to fly the aircraft that the 60 guys dream of.  
  Now I have some really good friends in the 60 community and they say it’s kinda 50-50 some units are good and some are just people waiting to finish their ADSO and pop smoke.  When it comes to after you get out. If you plan to fly helicopters 60s may be better, however if your looking at going to the airlines the IFR experience in the 47 would probably be better. 
  If you have any more questions about 47 life let me know And I’ll try to answer them all. 

• Like 1

Go fly CH-47s.  It's the only aircraft I would have stayed in the Army for.  Definitely don't pick based on what you think employers will care about in the future.  They're not going to care.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

The aircraft is cool, the community is cool, and the missions are cool.  This is going to hurt a lot of butts but I was never impressed with the UH-60 community.  There are good people there, but there's also a lot of arrogance within their ranks.  

• Like 1