Possible Hernia Prior to Ship Date

I’ve not yet seen a doctor (no insurance) nor am I certain of the issue but the symptoms align with that of an inguinal hernia. I noticed the soreness yesterday evening and couldn’t recall ever bumping into something that would’ve bruised the particular area, however, I had been doing some heavier lifting (moving a washer and dryer). I lift 5 days a week, so this comes as unusual. 

I’ve not gotten ahold of my recruiter for a couple of reasons. It being the weekend and me wanting to wait it out a couple days to see what comes of it. 

Worst case scenario, it’s a hernia. My ship out date is August 10th. Five and a half months out. What can I expect? Tell me something good. My wife and I really need something good. 

Thank you! 

Hey man, I would not tell your recruiter until you have been to a doctor to confirm the issue. Your body is generally a self healing organism, however a hernia might require surgery. You will not be able to complete Basic Training or WOCS with a hernia. You do not want to ship to BCT and be discharged for medical reasons. You would be sent home to heal and have to start the process completely over including selection; a hernia requires a wait time because of the severity.. As of now, if you get a hernia, you can renegotiate your ship date because of medical and not have any real issues (Let me confirm this tomorrow). I recommend you could get the treatment ASAP and heal up with no issues.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mrhoodhimself07 said:

Hey man, I would not tell your recruiter until you have been to a doctor to confirm the issue. Your body is generally a self healing organism, however a hernia might require surgery. You will not be able to complete Basic Training or WOCS with a hernia. You do not want to ship to BCT and be discharged for medical reasons. You would be sent home to heal and have to start the process completely over including selection; a hernia requires a wait time because of the severity.. As of now, if you get a hernia, you can renegotiate your ship date because of medical and not have any real issues (Let me confirm this tomorrow). I recommend you could get the treatment ASAP and heal up with no issues.

Thank you! Let me know if you’re able to confirm that. As of right now, I’m less sore and have been active with work/fitness. Perhaps I just strained something. I’ll keep monitoring it. Looking forward to your response. 

Goes without saying that you should see a medical professional. I get you don't have insurance, but there's a lot on the line to just "wait it out." Pay a few hundred bucks and drop by an urgent care center. 

• Thanks 1