Airbus H130 T2 real world information

We operate two Bell Long Ranger L3s in Papua New Guinea for missionary and humanitarian/community development work.  Our machines are not getting any newer and we're looking at what will be our next machine.  Cost is a very large consideration for us, since we are a non-profit organization.  We are wondering about the  Airbus H130 T2 as a replacement, but don't have many real world numbers for comparison.  Can anybody help fill in some of the blanks?

Fuel burn per hour: 

Actual airspeed:

Hourly operating cost:

Payload with 2 hours total fuel on board:

Some other questions are:  How do your mechanics like the machine?  How much maintenance do the machines require?  Can it carry 200 liter/55gal drums on their side with the aft seats removed?  Do the aft seats remove easily or just flip up or both?  What do you dislike about the machine?

Whatever input anyone might have would be great!

• Like 1

Fuel burn per hour: 

55 GPH (ish) at MCP, obviously there is some variation they usually range from around 51 – 55, so go 55 worst case.

Actual airspeed:

A T2 is probably 110 – 120 knots. The T2 performs much better than the B4 in hot weather, in the winter they are about the same. We are close to max gross when we fly most of the time. 

Hourly operating cost:

Couldn’t honestly tell you

Payload with 2 hours total fuel on board:

Max Gross weight of a T2 is 5512lbs, minimum flight weight is 3307lbs. With 4 seats in the back and 3-4 in the front you’ll likely be somewhere around 34 – 3500lbs empty weight

Some other questions are:  How do your mechanics like the machine?  

Very simple aircraft, much more maintenance friendly than a longranger, I'd attribute o lot of that to the increased space mechanics have to access things. 

How much maintenance do the machines require?  

I believe the T2 has 25, 50, 100, 150, 300, 600, etc. 

Can it carry 200 liter/55gal drums on their side with the aft seats removed? 

No clue, although I’ve flown some pretty big pax so I’d imagine it can but would be tight. The external cabin width of a T2 is 6.66ft and internal width is 6.12ft. Behind the pilots seat to the bulkhead is around 2.9ft. 

Do the aft seats remove easily or just flip up or both? 

They do not flip up, I’d assume you’d need to remove them. Couldn't tell you how long that takes.

What do you dislike about the machine?

130’s take considerably more pedal input than you will be used to in a Bell, considerably more. It takes a couple flights to get used to pushing your right foot that far forward. Also due to the tail structure, you'll have large right pedal inputs on take off and once you go through approx 40 knots you'll switch to left pedal. The large tail and wide body causes the airframe to move around quite a bit more in wind and turbulence, you’ll definitely feel the airframe moving ,however, the 130 can handle far more turbulence than the Bell comfortably. Hovering with a crosswind or tailwind, to me, requires the pilot to dance on the pedals significantly more than a conventional tail rotor. The B4 is considerably more comfortable than a T2, the redesigned seats aren’t great and most pilots I fly with will use a back support in the T2, but not the B4. The T2 feels a bit twitchy in high wind, especially during a large descent holding airspeed, whereas the older B4 felt much more planted, the T2’s tail seems to randomly move a lot in wind. The T2 is easier to overspeed and again, in high wind, tends to float more and does not want to descend, as opposed to a B4. 

Both the B4 and T2 are tremendously reliable. As far as single engine machines go I love flying the 130. The T2 is a brute, MTOP is 952 hp and MCP is 856 hp. The redesigned air conditioning is fantastic. T2’s have redesigned doors with sliders on both sides. I doubt there’s a small single with more interior room. Its extremely simple to operate, takes a minute to start and only has a 30 second cooldown. Unlike the Bell, you can pretty much immediately restart an EC and it (likely) won’t try to hotstart the motor. Even it it does appear to be going hot, just flip the switch off. In my time in both B4 and T2’s, knock on wood, I’ve never had an issue in either one (other than the odd flashing GOV or an FLI fail). Very, very reliable. Based on the Astar but much more predictable in a hover. They can still embarrass you on landing if you’re complacent, but by no means an Astar. They have both side and aft baggage. Fantastic visibility. Smooth as silk to fly compared to the 2 bladed Bell, they’re also very quiet. They have a lot of composite but again, a lot of the design came from an Astar so they are a pretty rugged machine. Having flown both Bells and Airbus, my preference is an EC, great machine to fly. 

The T2 has a crash resistant fuel tank, whereas, older B4’s do not unless they have been modified. The T2's 2D engine has had a few issues creating chips with one of the modules bearings flaking, but that has since been redesigned and doesn't seem to be an issue on newer and overhauled engines.

The B4 MGW is 5350lbs, the T2 is 5512lbs. However, anything over 5434lbs you’ll need to use the OGE hover performance chart. Depending on the pressure alt & OAT you’ll be operating this may affect things. At low weights you may also be affected by a reduced VNE area of the CG chart (basically below 4409lbs and in the aft CG range).

The T2 is a nice aircraft to fly, lots of internal space and great performance. I'd imagine doing humanitarian work you could really pack it full of gear. You can also modify it for hook provisions and the T2 allows you to use MTOP <40 knots for 30 mins continuous/60 cumulative per flight. You could also look at a AS-350 B3e (H-125), not as much internal room but an absolute powerhouse of a machine for the size. Both have the same engine, the B3e is derated, however, I recently read airbus now has a mod to utilize the full 952 hp.

Whatever input anyone might have would be great!

Thats about all I know!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...