Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My whole life in the next few months is based around the training dates I was recently given. My wife is active duty as well and we have two small children. We requested specific dates so we could make this whole WOFT thing work for us and we're actually able to line up her PCS with my training start date. The civilian who helps with your WOCS scheduling is awesome BTW. This whole COVID-19 doesn't bother me too much but I can see it affecting BCT and possibly WOCS/WOBC. I'm still in another service so I only know what I can find online directly affecting the Army. My buddy is currently at Jackson and said not much has changed for them (he was selected on the board before me). Has anyone seen anything other than closing graduation to family? I don't really care about that anyway, round two of BCT for me. Is there a possibility of everyone's class dates getting pushed back? I know there are others in my position with the same questions. Anyway, best of luck to you all, Semper Paratus...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tangowhiskey said:

As of today, WO PME has been cancelled indefinitely (per the WOCC fb page). Information regarding WOCS is apparently soon following.

I will keep an eye out, thank you for the information!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the chance to ask a 2 star this question on Friday specific to SERE, common core, and advanced airframe.

He was very quick to say that the corona virus will not affect our timeline. That training has to press on.

Those coming to Rucker will however, be quarantined in the barracks for two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seminole said:

I had the chance to ask a 2 star this question on Friday specific to SERE, common core, and advanced airframe.

He was very quick to say that the corona virus will not affect our timeline. That training has to press on.

Those coming to Rucker will however, be quarantined in the barracks for two weeks.  

I assumed this would be the case but it's always hard to say when dealing with events of this magnitude. Appreciate you asking the questions and then passing it along to us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody knows, and I've been watching people say stuff like "this isn't happening" hours or days prior to "this" happening. A lot of people have a lot to say, but you can only expect the worst. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got down here last weekend and moved into our house on base. My wife and I are finishing up getting the house set up and baby settled, and I report the end of this coming week. As of now, delays in training are only rumored so I anticipate starting WOBC 2 weeks from Monday. Our "sister" BOLC class is running already. It is two weeks longer but graduates the same date and feeds into the same SERE class. So far some rumors have turned out to be true, and others have not (yet) come to fruition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mike0331 said:

Got down here last weekend and moved into our house on base. My wife and I are finishing up getting the house set up and baby settled, and I report the end of this coming week. As of now, delays in training are only rumored so I anticipate starting WOBC 2 weeks from Monday. Our "sister" BOLC class is running already. It is two weeks longer but graduates the same date and feeds into the same SERE class. So far some rumors have turned out to be true, and others have not (yet) come to fruition. 

Thanks for the update Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now all flight training is still a go. The academics are starting to be phased into a distance learning format but flying is still happening on schedule (weather pending of course). So far the only training that looks to be affected is WOCS, ILE, WOSSE, etc.  due to the stop movement order. If you are here already they will train you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 9:47 AM, jkray said:

Right now all flight training is still a go. The academics are starting to be phased into a distance learning format but flying is still happening on schedule (weather pending of course). So far the only training that looks to be affected is WOCS, ILE, WOSSE, etc.  due to the stop movement order. If you are here already they will train you. 

We are on a two week pause starting the 6th for flight school. Our AO also got reduced from 100 to 50 miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shadowlurker said:

We are on a two week pause starting the 6th for flight school. Our AO also got reduced from 100 to 50 miles.

However we did just get word that academics are still happening via distance learning platforms like Zoom and Google Class

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jkray said:

However we did just get word that academics are still happening via distance learning platforms like Zoom and Google Class

I heard the same. Does that mean scheduling of new CC classes and filtering of recent SERE graduates into CC classes will continue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody knows. The only solid word that came from higher is that there will be a 2 week pause in common core and that WOBC/BOLC and SERE will still run. Hearing some other rumors now, but who knows. I think it's safe to say all said and done, at the very least this will cause some turbulence. We are lucky in that the CG here seems to be awesome, gives weekly briefings on the facebook page, and fields questions from viewers. The entire country, the army included, is taking this thing as it comes. Things are are changing constantly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said, things are changing constantly. The General had a virtual town hall last night where he put out his guidance and policies for the coming weeks, and then today we got word that those policies may be changing or adjusted. Everything is in flux and the command team is working to minimize the threat to everyone but it is such a fluid environment it’s hard to say what is actually going to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up, there’s a new article on Army.mil that says the Army is placing a temporary hold on new recruits to basic training. My recruiter just let me know we may run in to issues and that he will keep me posted. The article says it’s only a two week pause but my report date is May 6th so we will see if it pushes everybody. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone I know was supposed to ship this morning for basic (not for a woft contract though), and got a new ship date in late June. They had already moved out of their place, quit their job and put everything in storage. Apparently that has happened to quite a few people over the last few weeks. Not sure if that would push everybody out or if they're just fitting all these people in where they can and that's why their new date is so far out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll reiterate that this is a constantly morphing situation. The army is doing its best but there is a lot of uncertainty in the short term. Plenty of people have had their household goods shipped out and are living with no furniture/had to buy new furniture given the PCS freeze. Had I not got here the day I did, I’d be in the same boat. It’s impossible to say what the plans will be to make up for the classes missed. Maybe they’ll bump everyone, maybe they’ll just bump the people who missed classes back to a later date, maybe they’ll add/overbook classes. Nobody knows. My advice is just stay flexible. The last thing anyone wants is this current situation. Even here in school things are changing constantly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...