Prior/Inter service Preparation

Hi everyone, I was accepted into the AD WOFT program and have a start date in August. I am a prior service Marine so I will not have to do Army basic training. Apparently I will show up at MEPS, get orders, and be given a couple weeks to drive to Ft. Rucker and check in/acquire my uniforms. Not having gone through Army basic I am curious if anyone has any tips on what things I can be studying to get caught up with whatever I should have learned there. I only just realized our general orders are different, and I understand I'll need to look into how to properly wear the uniforms etc.; is there any additional knowledge or regulations that I should be going over in the meantime? 

Thanks!

Hey, congrats on getting selected! I’m a prior Marine as well going the Guard route.  
There are a lot of similarities in the Army and USMC, but many differences, obviously.
 The Uniform regulation is AR-670-1 and there are a multitude of memos that fall under it as well. But, it will give you a basic understanding of proper wear of uniforms. The OCP “operational camouflage pattern” uniform is what we would call “cammies” and it’s almost the same idea except sleeves down and there are patches for your unit. The “dress blues” are called ASU’s and that’s a whole different deal, just read the regulation or find someone that knows what their doing.  

The general orders are a little different. They say basically the same thing and instead of having eleven there are three. 

The core values are different as well. 

Your Marine lingo will stick with you for a while if not forever. The Army says,” At Ease” when a higher up walks in and I had no Idea what was going on when I first heard it.  
Anyone from E-5 to E-7 can be called “Sergeant” except Drill Sergeants. “Sergeant First Class” doesn’t roll of the tongue as well as “gunry sarnt” if we’re being formal, so you can just say Sergeant. 

You should know the PFT is different and the ACFT is soon to be the standard. It’s basically like doing a USMC CFT and a PFT all at the same time. Many people don’t like it, it’s kind of crossfit-ish if you want to think of it that way. I think it’s a good metric, but can’t really be done just anywhere because of the equipment needed. 

Look over or learn the Soldiers Creed, and the Army Song.  The Army is huge on songs for some reason. Many bases even have their own song. 

I’m sure there is a ton I missed, but hopefully it helps. 

• Like 1

Concur with the above. I made the switch in 2014. I would add, drill is a little different. Just enough to screw you up. Things may have changed but you are evaluated on close order drill. One of the things you will learn from your straight doggy brethren. Oh, Sergeants Major only have 3 rockers. Don’t know why that messed me up but it threw me off when I first saw it.
You will live by the WOCSOP. Learn it and love it. And if it ain’t in there, make sure your Stands guy is good and pushes out the Standards. If you are all wrong together, you will be right (that will make more sense when you get there).  Your training up to this point will carry you through the other stuff. Don’t get a big head about being a former-Marine and you will be fine.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies, they were very helpful! Crash7051, I was selected in January but requested to leave no earlier than May so I could graduate from college. I was given an August date. However, another prior Marine selected in January was given a date that was also relatively distant and was able to renegotiate a WOCS date in April. They said it was not very hard to do, since there are always people who have to drop out or reschedule for whatever reason and whoever sets up the dates was willing to work with them. I don't have any more insight than that personally but in both our cases they were able to give us dates that worked for us.

3 hours ago, CrayonEater said:

Thanks everyone for the replies, they were very helpful! Crash7051, I was selected in January but requested to leave no earlier than May so I could graduate from college. I was given an August date. However, another prior Marine selected in January was given a date that was also relatively distant and was able to renegotiate a WOCS date in April. They said it was not very hard to do, since there are always people who have to drop out or reschedule for whatever reason and whoever sets up the dates was willing to work with them. I don't have any more insight than that personally but in both our cases they were able to give us dates that worked for us.

Ah thats good to hear. Months is better than weeks to get things packed up haha. Thank mans and congrats and good luck!

• Like 1

You'll piece it together in a few weeks at WOCS. Several street to seat and inter service transfers have been with me for a while now and do just fine. 

What I'm trying to say is all the information above is great, feel free to learn it, but definately don't stress it too much.

• Like 1